CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

I see Ant Man 2 opening to at least Thor The Dark world's 85M.  That one opened after The Avengers. and the first Thor did 180M....just like Ant Man

Edited by Alli
  • Like 1

Thor was in the Avengers, Ant-Man was in the significantly lower grossing Civil War and the movie doesn't appear to have any connection to Infinity War.

People are setting themselves up for disappointment if they expect it to jump like the post-Avengers marvel sequels.

• Like 3

• Community Manager
19 hours ago, CJohn said:

Well, yes, this is what I was saying in my post. What is the point of rebooting Deadpool anyway? Pissing off their entire fanbase?

You want Deadpool in the MCU? Just have him make a joke about the merger and he is now an Avenger. 

47 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

To save time, let's lay out the Ant Man 2 cycle-

Fans will hype themselves up.

Make overly enthusiastic predictions.

Film will come in under those predictions but still be well within happy range.

Fans will be disappointed, but deny it.

Fans will spend weekend saying it's all fine and no one should be disappointed, even though they're the only ones disappointed.

Everyone else will wish it was all over.

There.  :-)

Fans will... LOL it's freaking Ant-Man and the Wasp, Relax!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

• Community Manager
19 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Sequels don't need as much massive marketing as their first movies. Sequels depend more on the goodwill and love for the first movies to do well.

Yeah they do need a massive marketing campaign as the first movie. At the very least to let people know it's coming out and when. But you also want to build hype so that casual fans of the original decide to go see it. 

• Like 1

Also worth noting that Ant Man came out in the highly competitive 2015 summer and also followed Age of Ultron which was a bit more polarizing in terms of audience/fan reception.

Coming off of the extremely well received Infinity War (and the pretty fantastic Phase 3 in general) I think Ant-Man 2 should do quite well there's a ton of public interest in where exactly the MCU is headed post IW.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Also worth noting that Ant Man came out in the highly competitive 2015 summer and also followed Age of Ultron which was a bit more polarizing in terms of audience/fan reception.

Coming off of the extremely well received Infinity War (and the pretty fantastic Phase 3 in general) I think Ant-Man 2 should do quite well there's a ton of public interest in where exactly the MCU is headed post IW.

I am very hyped for Ant-Man 2. I saw a trailer for it with Deadpool 2. It looks like a lot of fun and that there will be lots of creativity when it comes to shrinking and growing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

Ant-Man 2 is gonna pull off Thor Ragnarok numbers easily.

On the low end imo. It'll land somewhere between that and Deadpool, maybe even just under civil war depending on audience reception.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harrycaul said:

Fans will hype themselves up.

Make overly enthusiastic predictions.

Film will come in under those predictions but still be well within happy range.

Fans will be disappointed, but deny it.

Fans will spend weekend saying it's all fine and no one should be disappointed, even though they're the only ones disappointed.

Everyone else will wish it was all over.

There.  :-)

Right. Because the story of 2018 for the MCU is “overpredicting”. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

If anything BP and IW taught us is that we should never bet against the MCU atm

Ant-Man beating Hulk+Thor? I don't see any way. What does this offer opposed to the first one, I don't think th eGA cares about the Wasp. IW and CW may have an effect, but I don't see them more than doubling the first ones OW.

People comparing Ant-Man and its sequels to Thor are forgetting the first Thor came out where most people didn't even know what the MCU was.

I loved Ant-Man and am very much looking forward to Ant-Man and The Wasp but fanboys are setting themselves up for disappointment if they think that it's going double the first one's gross. Absolutely no MCU sequel as done that. Iron Man 2, Winter Solider, Thor: The Dark World and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 didn't do it. And Black Panther 2 won't do it either as it's sequel will drop heavily due to the first film way over performing. I'm over 250mil for Ant-Man and The Wasp so I'm not going low on it by any means.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

Ant-Man released to muted buzz (everyone thought it was gonna be Marvel's first huge flop b/c of behind-the-scenes drama, middling reception to Ultron and lethargic marketing) but played extremely well with family audiences. The only leggier Marvel movies are Panther and Guardians 1.

• Like 7

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

I loved Ant-Man and am very much looking forward to Ant-Man and The Wasp but fanboys are setting themselves up for disappointment if they think that it's going double the first one's gross. Absolutely no MCU sequel as done that. 

100/250 has been my prediction for quite some time, with a (very) outside shot at getting close to 300

• Like 2

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

My real interest is in how Marvel will handle a Doctor Strange sequel. People liked it and I like it more than most but it seemed to get some of the least amount of buzz out of all the Marvel films. 

I think Infinity War helped a lot in that regard. Character got a fantastic showcase.

Lose the hospital and go full magic, give Wong a bigger role. Maybe even get Scarlet Witch to costar (she makes sense with the magic theme)

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

I think Infinity War helped a lot in that regard. Character got a fantastic showcase.

Lose the hospital and go full magic, give Wong a bigger role. Maybe even get Scarlet Witch to costar (she makes sense with the magic theme)

Also introduce Doctor Voodoo and Clea