Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

A huge embarrassing mess for Disney

The drop from Rogue One is worse than the drop Revolutions had from Reloaded, and that was considered one of the benchmark worst drops ever for a franchise.

Han Solo, the mega iconic character, is doing less than Doctor Strange on OW.

I love seeing a giant corporation get bitten in the ass by their greed, but I'm also sad because this means a Kenobi film starring Ewan McGregor is less likely. This might be the end of the 'A Star Wars Story' films altogether. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Alli said:

I have no idea what the interest is. I remember when The Mummy bombed last year they were quick with that article blaming it on Cruise. lol   Maybe they have their favorites.  deadline was spinning for weinstein movies not so long ago

It is also (for that example), them writing what people in the industry feed them, when the Mummy failed they had a lot of people talking to them, maybe when Disney fail, they are just able to keep it more thigh with no one speaking to the trade to play blame games, it is made more in house after all and with so much winning the people involved in those some flop from time to time having gained the right to fail.

Just now, Hunch said:

A huge embarrassing mess for Disney

The drop from Rogue One is worse than the drop Revolutions had from Reloaded, and that was considered one of the benchmark worst drops ever for a franchise.

Han Solo, the mega iconic character, is doing less than Doctor Strange on OW.

I love seeing a giant corporation get bitten in the ass by their greed, but I'm also sad because this means a Kenobi film starring Ewan McGregor is less likely. This might be the end of the 'A Star Wars Story' films altogether. 

If that happens, I think it's for the best. I too would have liked to see Obi Wan, but Disney blew their wad on two much less interesting spin offs first. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Dread it, run from it, destiny still arrives....AGAIN!

Image result for the avengers 4

That run will be very interesting. As always, reception will be paramount, they will really have to nail it - just like they did with IW, so i have confidence. Unless ER go to shit, its a very likely contender for 2B again. Titanic shoudnt feel to save.

• Like 1

Kathleen really is a miracle worker. It was previously thought that there was no way a Star Wars film could ever lose hundreds of millions of dollars, but she made the impossible happen.

• Haha 2

The spin off movies need to get off of this bandwagon of faux practical effects that is blowing up the budgets. CGI is not a curse, just because Lucas f*cked up his CG doesn't mean this obsession with practical effects make sense. If they were grossing a billion or so, fine. But if they are going to gross "Thor 1, ant man and the good dinosaur" numbers they should stop this .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Much quicker December 2015 was just 2.5 year's ago.....

Welp. Cancel the SW franchise then. 

Going from 2B to likely <400M in 2.5 years lol.

14 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Once Disney has everything under its own tent they an delegate release dates I guess.. but of course the worry is they’ll favor their home grown products (MCU) over their aquired franchises.

Feige might let Phase 4 run through its course as it would’ve with no merger before letting MCU-ied Fox stuff into his sandbox, let people get hungry for more X-Men/FF. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nova said:

I don't even know why people are arguing lol It was very obvious from the OW that it wasn't going to get great legs. Even after the shitty Thursday drop and shitty Friday increase the writing was on the wall but people still had it go over $300M as if the holds haven't been atrocious. Having said that, the movie has been very very weird in terms of its holds. It had really good holds last Sunday, Monday and Tuesday and then an average hold for Wednesday. But then Thursday, Friday and Saturday it's like the same scenario as its OW with the holds being horrendous. 

Yeah, but...you gotta give it a few more days...

I mean, Solo took enormous amounts of screens this weekend, starting on Thursday (and pretty much all the premium ones)...that's gonna start changing by Tuesday...or Friday at the latest...and Solo and DP2 have very similar audiences in the 17-45 male set (yes Solo can also appeal to families, but that Saturday number probably means it isn't), so before being ABSOLUTELY certain, watch a few more days and see what happens...DP2 has a couple of empty weeks in front of it, plus Father's Day, to have a chance to see if it can catch some late legs...now, being a sequel, it's harder...but not impossible, especially since Solo just bombed out this weekend...

Now, I say this having still not gotten to DP2 (went to the pool b/c it was beautiful yesterday and now have our 2 evenings BBQ parties the rest of the weekend)...if I had, I'd be much more confident one way or the other...I saw SHC OW, and seeing a movie and how it appeals is so much more helpful to know if it will catch fire...

Next weekend is probably gonna be the "go/no go" on a chance at $300M...if it can't hold well against vs pretty much nothing opening, then, yeah, stick the fork in it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Community Manager
11 minutes ago, LOGAN'sLuckyRun said:

I have a month trial of Netflix and I can't see why everyone loves it so much. 

That's the joke

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Sam said:

Welp. Cancel the SW franchise then. 

Going from 2B to likely <400M in 2.5 years lol.

On the Nerd Totem Pole....Marvel > SW

Just now, Istealnames said:

The spin off movies need to get off of this bandwagon of faux practical effects that is blowing up the budgets. CGI is not a curse, just because Lucas f*cked up his CG doesn't mean this obsession with practical effects make sense. If they were grossing a billion or so, fine. But if they are going to gross "Thor 1, ant man and the good dinosaur" numbers they should stop this .

The prequels actually had tons of practical effects, including lots of miniatures. It wasn't nearly as CGI as it seemed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

What is the longterm plan for Star Wars when Latin America and Asia just don't give a fuck? Are America and Europe going to carry this franchise forever?

Maybe trying a different genre and having characters and stories that are not related to the OT might help.