Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

5 hours ago, Thematrixfilm said:

the sequels to A New Hope and the prequels had backlash.  then TFA and R1 had backlash.  TLJ burnt down the mythology.  and it too had backlash.

TLJ's divisiveness will probably not impede too heavily on the trilogy conclusion.  Episode IX should deliver with the built up demand.

5 minutes ago, Sam said:

Aside from The Rock teaming up with Han’s murderer, he also split up the family. 

I’m against that spin off by principles. Justice for Han (and Vin Diesel)

Han died without a bag of chips in his hand. RIP

Tokyo_drift_sunk_kang_fast_and_furious_f

• Sad 2

It is a pity people are pissing and moaning about identity politics or their hurt feelings for Luke or whatever from TLJ because Solo is a perfectly fine summer action flick for all ages. I enjoyed Deadpool more though I did find Solo to be more entertaining than the plodding and inconsequential AIW. Solo does not deserve the hate it is receiving.

I can only wonder what sort of mess Howard inherited because his finished product is nothing to be ashamed of. If it had been released before TLJ, SW junkies and casual moviegoers would be eating it up. 

That being said, Disney needs to move forward with new characters and stories. We do not need backstories on Ben, Lando or Boba Fett. Imagine a new future instead of mining the slightly mysterious past.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

If the Pansexual thing wasn't made explicitly clear in the film (I've heard it's not there) then the writers were just doing the old JK Rowling queer-baiting bit and that's a pretty shitty thing to do to a sexual minority who are craving better representation. 

She's gonna get a pretty big backlash if she doesn't acknowledge that in FB soon

We live in an age where a movie about an ant and a wasp has a pretty big chance to have better box office numbers dom & WW than movies featuring

Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman

Han Solo, Chewbaca, Star Wars in the title

What a time to be alive.

• Like 1

I actually really did want to see some true representation of Dumbledore's sexuality (not like a handjob scene, relax) but now that Johnny Depp is playing Grindenwald I don't. You're too good for him, Jude!! Stay away!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, expensiveho said:

She's gonna get a pretty big backlash if she doesn't acknowledge that in FB soon

Backlash is already coming b/c Depp

12 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That one is funny, Fast 6 and Days of Future past did bunker not so long ago.

And it didn't work very well since because it is a bad date ?

Audience score on RT

Fast 6: 86%

Days of future past: 91%

Tomorrowland: 49%

Alice Throught the looking glass: 49%

X-Men apocalypse: 66%

Baywatch: 55%

Pirates 5: 61%

Solo: 60% (For what is worth)

Not sure the movie goers habbit changed during that weekend more than the appeal of the movies offered during it.

Offerings have been really shit for years. 

It's not cursed when you have such has-been franchises like Alice in Wonderland, Apocalypse & Pirates opening there. Then, something like Tomorrowland? It looked awful from its first trailer. In fact, most of Disney's live action "original" flicks look like some version of the remake of Race to Witch Mountain. Dubious story + plasticky CGI that was outdated in the 2000s and yet still lives on. A comparable example today is A Wrinkle in Time. It's almost a signature look. 

In fact, I think the last film to exceed expectations was X-Men: The Last Stand in 2006. Or maybe DoFP was considered good at the time. Though Pirates holds the record, it was thought that it would've been the highest of the Big 3 in May 07, and Indiana Jones did really well but expectations were quite a bit higher. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Black Panther > Deadpool 2 > Infinity War > > Solo >>>>>> Ready Player One

The definitive blockbuster rankings of 2018

not for me.  I have Deadpool 2 at the top, probably then RPO, Solo, IW, BP.  but all range really good to meh but at least worth watching

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Backlash is already coming b/c Depp

Why not drop him? He's just bringing controversy and baggage. He's not a very good actor and he brings zero box office draw anymore. It's gonna hurt if anything! Why not just cut your losses? Cast like Mark Strong, he's always available.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Because it's a much better movie, a bigger event, a movie that will be talked about for farrrr longer, and more important for representation?

I saw BP again after IW and not gonna lie, that third act was pretty rough after IW. The battle in particular felt as anti-climactic as it can get and in order for a film to be as good as it can be, you can't have that third act miss some of the landings. I think BP does, in spite of how perfectly done the first two acts are.

IW simply offers more, and pulls all of it off. You get compelling drama, real stakes, emotional payoffs, hilarious comedy throughout, fantastic performances and chemistry between a massive ensemble, and some of the best spectacle ever. I also think IW's perfect juggling of two dozen+ characters is one of the most impressive things I've ever seen in a blockbuster. Really don't know how they pulled it off so well. And for all the hype over Killmonger, Thanos was easily the better villain of the two for me. MBJ's performance is a little better than Brolin's (though just barely since Brolin pulled off the emotional resonance he did through the barrier of all that CGI), but there's never been a CBM villain that's both an interesting character with as real and high of stakes as Thanos in IW, and I really appreciated that after dozens upon dozens of CBMs.

So in other words, I disagree BP is the better film overall, much as I like it. I also disagree it was the bigger pop culture event, though that's harder to argue obviously since it's not just my opinion. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

no deadpool 2 is bad i've decided.

Deadpool 1 is really quite bad. Deadpool 2 is shockingly good. So of course this is being reflected in their respective legs :Venom:

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Why not drop him? He's just bringing controversy and baggage. He's not a very good actor and he brings zero box office draw anymore. It's gonna hurt if anything! Why not just cut your losses? Cast like Mark Strong, he's always available.

Idk I feel like everyone alive asked that same question a year ago

And JK was just like "Yknow what, folks. Fuck off"