Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I just did a Fellowship of the Ring rewatch the other night (proof I am a bored loser) and it's amazing to me how much all the parts come together better than Infinity War or any of the teamup superhero movies ever, so maybe my judgement is just clouded idk. That's how you do an epic. I'm only making this comparison because I've seen multiple people compare Infinity War to the scale/structure of Lord of the Rings, so.

Thats unfair, though. Comparing any normal film to the unreachable masterpieces that are the LOTR movies is mean.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

Cmasterclay said for years that no one cares about team up movies and now IW is at 1.9 billion and was widely well loved by the fanbases and audiences. :hahaha:

What does this have to do with anything? I admitted I was wrong about Infinity War and owned up to it. Unlike you, who adds nothing to these boards except trolling bullshit and shit talking.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I just did a Fellowship of the Ring rewatch the other night (proof I am a bored loser) and it's amazing to me how much all the parts come together better than Infinity War or any of the teamup superhero movies ever, so maybe my judgement is just clouded idk. That's how you do an epic. I'm only making this comparison because I've seen multiple people compare Infinity War to the scale/structure of Lord of the Rings, so.

Pfft, I tried to rewatch FOTR a few years back and pacing was too frenetic for its own good. Had to pull that DVD out and watch the extended edition which is the definitive cut anyway.

T'Challa in Black Panther is the least interesting out of its 10-12 most prominent characters and I wouldn't say it's really "about" its themes in any meaningful way. Just cause it brings them up doesn't mean it's deep all of a sudden. If anything it works best at its most visceral, like in the one-on-one combat scenes. 

Regardless both BP and IW are barely above average and I'm not looking forward to them being non-stop worshipped here till, well, their 2019 analogues in Captain Marvel and A4.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Thats unfair, though. Comparing any normal film to the unreachable masterpieces that are the LOTR movies is mean.

Hey if anybody is to dick IW, at least let it be one of the all timers. 

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Depp isn’t hurting Fantastic Beasts at all and it’s easily going to annihilate the worldwide gross of Solo and any future Star Wars spin off 

holidays will allow it to pass 200m in the states as well 

He didn't hurt #1 because he was in it for seconds and no one knew he was in it anyway.

But since FB seems to be going the way of Dumbledore/Grindelwald, he'll be playing a bigger part. Look at Jude Law as Dumbledore. He looks like a normal guy. Then look at the Deppwald in FB. He looks completely out of place. Unbelievable. A character. 

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

guardians 2 IS the best mcu movie but MY HOTTEST TAKE

peter quill has boring taste in music. i mean there's some classics to be sure but it's basically one of those flimsy compilation CDs you can get at a petrol station. 

It's a repudiation of nostalgic fanboys who can't see the things they like for what they are, quite smart tbh

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

T'Challa in Black Panther is the least interesting out of its 10-12 most prominent characters and I wouldn't say it's really "about" its themes in any meaningful way. Just cause it brings them up doesn't mean it's deep all of a sudden. If anything it works best at its most visceral, like in the one-on-one combat scenes. 

Regardless both BP and IW are barely above average and I'm not looking forward to them being non-stop worshipped here till, well, their 2019 analogues in Captain Marvel and A4.

Are you looking forward to the rest of the summer slate? (JW, Incredibles, M:I - Fallout...maybe The Meg?)

Lord of the Rings is so spectacular, it's amazing the Hobbit movies blew so bad. That said there is some weirrrrd stuff in Lord of the Rings. Like how the hell does Gandalf overhear Gollum being tortured in Mordor at the beginning? And why does he ride what we're told is like two years there and back to essentially read one library book? Gandalf is such a weirdo, man.

• Like 3

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

This BP backlash was so predictable. Next up, IW. “You know what it did wasn’t really THAT impressive...”

• Like 5

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

IW is a movie that tries to be everything at once, and it actually freakin works. That's not how the last part of that sentence is supposed to go. I think it's an incredible achievement and it deserves all the praise.

BP was pretty overrated by critics, but it's still a good movie and it definitely deserves appreciation for breaking glass ceilings. 

• Like 3

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Lord of the Rings is so spectacular, it's amazing the Hobbit movies blew so bad. That said there is some weirrrrd stuff in Lord of the Rings. Like how the hell does Gandalf overhear Gollum being tortured in Mordor at the beginning? And why does he ride what we're told is like two years there and back to essentially read one library book? Gandalf is such a weirdo, man.

Did Gandalf ever explain how he and the Balrog went from a water cavern to a snowy mountain top? 

42 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I saw BP again after IW and not gonna lie, that third act was pretty rough after IW. The battle in particular felt as anti-climactic as it can get and in order for a film to be as good as it can be, you can't have that third act miss some of the landings. I think BP does, in spite of how perfectly done the first two acts are.

IW simply offers more, and pulls all of it off. You get compelling drama, real stakes, emotional payoffs, hilarious comedy throughout, fantastic performances and chemistry between a massive ensemble, and some of the best spectacle ever. I also think IW's perfect juggling of two dozen+ characters is one of the most impressive things I've ever seen in a blockbuster. Really don't know how they pulled it off so well. And for all the hype over Killmonger, Thanos was easily the better villain of the two for me. MBJ's performance is a little better than Brolin's (though just barely since Brolin pulled off the emotional resonance he did through the barrier of all that CGI), but there's never been a CBM villain that's both an interesting character with as real and high of stakes as Thanos in IW, and I really appreciated that after dozens upon dozens of CBMs.

So in other words, I disagree BP is the better film overall, much as I like it. I also disagree it was the bigger pop culture event, though that's harder to argue obviously since it's not just my opinion. 

Black Panther is an ok movie with a very good villain. There's nothing original or groundbreaking about it, except its perceived socio-political significance and symbolic value. I respect it for what it is, and it was great for the MCU to land such a domestic mega-hit. 

Infinity War is a different beast altogether. It's the unique culmination of almost 20 movies, several franchises and dozens of characters in one epic ensemble. Just like you said, AIW, attempts multiple things at once and lands them all. AIW, may just be the best fantasy movie of all time (along with The Empire Strikes Back & Fellowship of the Ring) 

For American society, and especially African-American society, BP is of course far and away the most important of the two, for very obvious reasons. 

For everyone else, as is reflected by the international BO, AIW is the real deal. As per usual, it's a matter of perspective. 

Edited by PPZVGOS
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Supposed to to be a couple of months. Not two years. In the books it was 17 years lol 

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

it's james gunn's spotify playlist.

I remember thinking the villains in Guardians 1 being atrocious was some elaborate joke and then Gunn wrote like a wholeass essay on his facebook about their inspirations and motivations lmao

• Haha 1