Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Hot take: A Quiet Place was a goofy ass movie that thought it was way smarter than it actually was. Had some good sequences, though.

It gets a lot of mileage from its gimmick, but yeah, you can't think about it too much.

Just now, RRA said:

Condescending rhetorical questions isn’t a wise way to win people over in your argument.

But I’ll play along: your pleading in the name of common sense is falling on deaf ears at my post. I called out that person for saying something trite. I’m sorry that...Nah, actually I’m not sorry that hurt feelings. 

Sometimes you gotta call out stuff for what it is. 

lol you're kinda weird.

BUT "backlash" is a trite response if anything. those criticisms seemed fairly thought out and reasoned to me, if not then you'd have an actual rebuttal. it's easy to see a criticism of a movie you like, that you don't have a response for and just call it out as "backlash just jealous they hate us cos they ain't us YOLO 420 GUCCI GANG"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

But why are they hiding her from the marketing though? 

She’s in it but tiny 

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Hot take: A Quiet Place was a goofy ass movie that thought it was way smarter than it actually was. Had some good sequences, though.

Now now people, be nice to Cmasterclay here. Just because CC didn’t love AQP as much as you doesn’t mean you should get upset by this post.

:sparta:

5 minutes ago, RRA said:

Condescending rhetorical questions isn’t a wise way to win people over in your argument.

But I’ll play along: your pleading in the name of common sense is falling on deaf ears at my post. I called out that person for saying something trite. I’m sorry that...Nah, actually I’m not sorry that hurt feelings. 

Sometimes you gotta call out stuff for what it is. 

You might have hurt my feelings if you were making any sense. 

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

#backlash

I have dumb opinions always. Blockers is probably my third favorite movie of the year and shit.

#blocklash

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't think it was trying to be smart, it's clear to me from watching it it's just trying to be an enjoyable and intense horror flick.  I think Krasinski was aware that the whole silent aspect of it is a gimmick, and he sure as hell plays with the fact that it's a gimmick in that he puts doing interesting ideas with the concept over trying to make it grounded in reality or logic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Smith and Eddy Murphy before him were often even better example (movie not being specially domestic heavy like BP was), the actual protagonist is not much of an issue I think.

What a black cast (that is seen as an issue for oversea sales) can often do in the eye of the oversea audience is to make it feel like a regional american movie, like when it is about baseball. I suspected it would not be an issue for Black Panther because the movie is not set in the US nor Americans characters and Sci-fi.

But was the subject matter of Hidden figures not appealing to oversea audience ? Maybe, segregation/south/NASA all very american, hard to know because so much of the all black cast movie tend to be very domestic appeal/story and play very domestic (Like Straight out of Compton) that people mix the regional appeal to the black cast factor in the oversea performance.

Domestic:  $169,607,287    71.9%
Foreign:  $66,349,611    28.1%

Worldwide:  $235,956,898  

When it is not an american story or if they put the eye of the international audience into the protagonist by being a fish out of the water in the us like Coming to America, you can have one of the biggest oversea box office and bigger than domestic with an almost all black cast since at least the late 80s:

Rank Movie Worldwide Box Office Domestic Box Office International Box Office Domestic
1 Rain Man $412,800,000 $172,825,435 $239,974,565 41.87%
2 Who Framed Roger Rabbit? $351,500,000 $154,112,492 $197,387,508 43.84%
3 Coming to America $288,800,000 $128,152,301 $160,647,699 44.37%
4 Crocodile Dundee 2 $239,606,210 $109,306,210 $130,300,000 45.62%
5 Twins $216,600,000 $111,936,388 $104,663,612 51.68%
6 Rambo III $188,715,611 $53,715,611 $135,000,000 28.46%

You know people overseas are not familiar with african american culture. So when a movie centers the issues of those people it is difficult to connect with audiences in europe or asia.

For example, I didn't like Get Out but I think there was no way I could possibly understand fully it's theme and thus like it.

But with Black Panther it's just another Marvel action CGI fest so there is nothing to not appeal.

The most annoying backlash to me is the Avatar one. Just because James Cameron has his entire head up his ass and his fans are the most annoying wankers alive folks gotta act like the movie isn't neat

Edited by Chewy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am still confused how the Hobbit films extended over 3 films over 3 years :ph34r:

First film I think was okay in terms of its ending but 2nd one was just annoying. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

27 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

LOTR visual effects & CGI look rough & dated.

Yup.

I have rewatched the bluray trilogy last year or the year before, and except for Gollum in the first one (but we just flash on him) and the texture on the giant elephant during the fight in the last one, it does seem to be having fine too, it will not age as well as the late 90s Matrix/Titanic/Saving Private Ryan but better than most early 2000s output I think. The technical of it is not perfect but the aesthetic/artistic/production design of it is good.

Oh yeah the troll in the first one, did look funny now. You can see the budget really raising up on the next 2.

Edited by Barnack

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I don't think it was trying to be smart, it's clear to me from watching it it's just trying to be an enjoyable and intense horror flick.  I think Krasinski was aware that the whole silent aspect of it is a gimmick, and he sure as hell plays with the fact that it's a gimmick in that he puts doing interesting ideas with the concept over trying to make it grounded in reality or logic.

That last shot is so fucking goofy lmao. It's like an entirely different movie

Edited by Cmasterclay

1 hour ago, BK007 said:

Black Panther is not as good as IW. It's overrated mainly because the message isn't as deep as it wants you to think it is. Probably because of the weak story, but still it gave us a solid set of characters, black representation and a good try. Much more than I can say for the joke that is Wonder Woman. 

Won't see Solo, but a movie like RPO that takes chances, even if it doesn't pull it off, is helluva lot better than some half-baked nostalgia trip.

Thank you.:wub: Nailed everything in your post. 

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

How exactly was it trying to be smart?

All I saw was an intense horror/thriller type of movie and it was working very well.