Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

31 minutes ago, Bobbybuilderton said:

I'm telling you, it's because it's such an undeniable failure that they're having a hard time figuring out how to spin it positively. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney is trying to get ahead of the narrative and minimize press on how bad it's doing. I think they want no marketing of any kind and are really hoping that the only people talking about it are the people who actually go see it. Like I said before, it'd explain the massive budget (assuming deadline is correct, which is questionable) and the lack of marketing. 

At some point they realized it was going to be a shitshow and they said to themselves "well, we can either spend a little extra with ron howard finishing, then move forward with marketing as usual and hope that people like whatever we can salvage....OR we can slash the marketing budget by 75 percent and divert those funds to production to make a better final product. If we do that, the fanbase may be big enough that word of mouth markets it instead, and as a bonus now we have a better movie which means better long term profit"

Wouldn't surprise me tbh.

13 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I was pissed off about that but now I'm happy that she got the role because it saved actresses that I actually like from playing in a big flop.

Clarke *was* on the shortlist for Sarah Connor but with Brie Larson and Tatiana Maslany. Clarke is weaker than both of them, but they dodged a bullet there as well.

• Like 1

Im tellin ya'll the western conference finals are affecting solos ticket sales. I wouldn't miss this to see freakin' solo. 10 million people watched it on thurs. It will only increase being a Saturday. Kathleen Kennedy should use this excuse :).

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, YLF said:

Im tellin ya'll the western conference finals are affecting solos ticket sales. I wouldn't miss this to see freakin' solo. 10 million people watched it on thurs. It will only increase being a Saturday. Kathleen Kennedy should use this excuse :).

That's why I went to a 3pm showing of Solo today.  Back home plenty early to watch the game.

#WarriorsAreTrash

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RRA said:

SOLO makes the people who pushed the DP2-flopped-last-weekend narrative look really really silly.

Were people saying that here? This is a weird-ass place. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, YLF said:

That obviously doesn’t guarantee a lot of people will go out and see it later, especially if they hear from people they know who have seen it that it isn’t a must-see movie.

• Like 1

Solo is flopping. Deadpool 2 is underperforming. And when it obviously fails to reach $300m and maybe something as nuts as $260m like @Nova said is the final number domestic, I'd love to see the excuses that people here will go to say it's not underperforming. I mean, this is basically people here being stubborn to admit it at this point. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RRA said:

SOLO makes the people who pushed the DP2-flopped-last-weekend narrative look really really silly.

I think most thought the numbers were disappointing but only a few were acting like it was a flop. My theory is that people on here were on too much of Superhero high when Black Panther and IW over performed. They ignored that the gimmicky nature of Deadpool COULD BE a slight hindrance. Don't get me wrong the film is a big hit and has done well but it being another GOTG 2 situation was going to be near impossible without the family audience and with the fact that the film is basically a sequel to a break out comedy. A genre that does not have great luck with sequels to break out hits. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, YLF said:

That's a stupid take. Is it an all day event? Nope. 

Just now, Bishop54 said:

That's a stupid take. Is it an all day event? Nope. 

Every time I say this idk why people take it serious and not as a joke... its an obvious joke.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ZackM said:

That's why I went to a 3pm showing of Solo today.  Back home plenty early to watch the game.

#WarriorsAreTrash

Im rooting for the warriors to lose, too. I want new teams in the finals. Im so sick of seeing Lebron and the warriors in the finals. it gets boring.

Edited by YLF

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

I think most thought the numbers were disappointing but only a few were acting like it was a flop

Wrong. Me and Nova were only pointing out that it was disappointing because it was indeed underperforming. So called experts called me literally crazy and tried an intervention on Nova for calling this right from the start: it is underperforming, and plastering the release between two big blockbusters was a mistake. Deadpool 2 and Solo should be events on their own like Infinity War was, not just another two blockbusters released back to back.  The release schedule made the box office receipts of the three films to take chunks out of each other that it wouldn't if the last two films (Deadpool 2 and Solo) had better dates. We called this one right, and got called out for it. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, YLF said:

Probably why it did lost so much vs Rogue One in South Korea as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

Solo is flopping. Deadpool 2 is underperforming. And when it obviously fails to reach $300m and maybe something as nuts as $260m like @Nova said is the final number domestic, I'd love to see the excuses that people here will go to say it's not underperforming. I mean, this is basically people here being stubborn to admit it at this point. 

If it does only 260mil (not likely it will end under 275mil but okay) I will say that it under performed. And it will go alongside the myriad sequels to break out comedy hits that dropped hard from their predecessors. Not a huge shock for that very reason.

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

If it does only 260mil (not likely it will end under 275mil but okay) I will say that it under performed. And it will go alongside the myriad sequels to break out comedy hits that dropped hard from their predecessors. Not a huge shock for that very reason.

The difference being that Deadpool 2 and Solo simply were too big of titles to be released as "follow ups" to the main event that was Infinity War. If the releases were spaced out, Deadpool 2 could and very likely would be bigger than the first, and Solo wouldn't be the flop that is if it had the December date. 

• Like 1