Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

26 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Real talk: What are the odds for IX under $500M? IX under $400M?

If SW9 shows the same drop that TLJ showed from TFA it will do 412 dom (621/937*621). But the ending chapter of a trilogy won't show that big a fall especially as JJ is coming back and they will steer the franchise to familiar territory. I think 25% drop for 465 dom or better depending on reception. Possibly much better.

Looking at dom-os split, TFA did 45% dom and TLJ did 46.5% dom (worth noting it's os handily beat dom). If SW9's split goes further in favor of dom at 49%:

465 dom + 485 os = 950 ww

That's the floor imo and considering it's coming from a pessimistic mindset surrounding solo's release feel confident that it will pass 1b ww. EP9 over/under RO would make a fun club when the time comes.

Edited by A2k Raptor

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

RPO and Rampage aren't original, they're adaptations 

original as in  not sequels or spinoffs. I doubt most people had any idea that rampage was a video game anyway

5 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

Yeap. WB/DC hate-train exists (but some people love deny this fact:hahaha:)

Anyway, I don't think future 9 episode won't save itself. Good trailers and marketing's hooricane can make miracles.

I loathe how dramatic and conspiratorial DC/WB fans and I don't think that Disney is paying off anyone but there is a bias. Because of their stellar record people bend over backwards to explain Disney's flops and try to pretend that those flops aren't flops.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

3 minutes ago, Alli said:

Original movies seem to do good this summer. Sequels and spinoffs are rejected. maybe here lies the problem

I certainly wouldn't say that considering pretty much all of the biggest movies of the summer will be sequel/franchise films. What I would say is that this year it seems that films are either uber appealing to people or they're not at all. There's not much middle ground lately. So I'd expect movies that do seem to really be appealing to people in marketing like Incredibles 2 and Christopher Robin to be bigger than most of our predictions.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

So the movie was someone's hubris by the look of it. Nobody had faith in its BO prospect then, if it was cancelled in many markets. They couldn't possibly expect dom to recoup the budget? 

They didn't expect it to get rotten reviews and not achieve to make a good trailer out of it when they started this, but they knew about the weak intl prospect by the time of release with the effort they gave to it and the very disparate release trying to take advantage of the world local holiday. Nothing indicate getting caught by surprise.

Edited by Barnack

1 minute ago, sfran43 said:

There's a chance Solo makes less than 400 million worldwide, if overseas numbers drop even more. Less than 200 million overseas is very possible. It's up to how good its domestic performance might be. Some are saying it could make 200/250 million.  If it makes 200 million and maybe 180 million overseas, that would give a final 380 million worldwide.

• Astonished 2

44 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Lucasfilm basically exists to put out yearly Star Wars movies. Disney didn't buy to let them bide their time and rest. I really doubt there's a slowdown, but there will obviously be changes in strategy and the mouse will be breathing down their necks from here on out

But that might be part of the problem see Igor already pushing a few years back for an earlier as planed / aimed for release of SW 7 see e.g. comments of some here, something he needed it early for a stockholder thingie.

Maybe needed for explaining the costs/the project for Disneyland Shanghai and/or ....

I can not remember if I have something stored out of the usual sources for myself then, but it is maybe a thing to think about.

the different interests / reasons why - in this case - SW get which release dates, which kind of ads and so on. The different departments at Disney might have all their own reasons for pushing for this and that

• Like 1