Water Bottle

HAN SOLO MEMORIAL (day weekend) THREAD | Solo Flops Domestically with 83M/101M weekend. Spectacularly Bombs Overseas with 65M weekend.

7 hours ago, FantasticBeasts said:

With such an opening, 500m is dead for Solo Worldwilde.

I would say 400m is the goal to pass.

There is still some talk about Solo maybe having good legs and recovering.

2 hours ago, baumer said:

As for Solo, there's a plethora or reasons as to why it failed.  As someone on Deadline said, the numbers for a spin off are actually quite decent, but not for a SW spinoff and especially not one that cost 250-300 million to make. 

Episode 8 clearly contributed to this and imo Ep 9 has to go back to being more closely related to TFA that TLJ.  And that's all I have to say about that.

This isn't necessarily directed at you, but people who are blaming Solo on TLJ's response, I just gotta say this: Rogue One doesn't hit 500M releasing on Memorial Day 2016. TLJ's response might have a little to do it but it's much more the proximity to release. Also, the marketing for Solo never had a hook. I know I've been biased against it, but you look at Rogue One's trailers and it's selling you something different from the mainline movies. Solo has always looked to have the tone of TFA and TLJ and thus, the lack of interest is clearly there. Add that to the fact that no one wanted a Han Solo prequel, and this was always going to be an uphill climb to success with the Memorial Day release, no matter how the production went or reception to TLJ was.

• Like 3

Just now, Nova said:

So I was going through my on demand selection of films and so many comedies from the early to mid 2000s have such rotten scores and yet did extremely well at the box office.

Given the impact rotten tomatoes has today, I wonder if those films would have still made money like they did then. 

Comedies aren’t doing all that well nowadays and I don’t think it’s anything to do with RT scores. Films like Blockers and Game Night would have made money like Horrible Bosses a couple years back, but now audiences are getting more comfortable watching their comedies at home (look at how Netflix keep giving Adam Sandler money).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Does hiring a diverse cast count as forcing politics on people?

Or letting women and black people have dialogue? 

Might be too much of a stretch for MCU fans. 

Not interested in Star Wars, just saying. 

I think people are resistant to change. They want the movie to be as close to how they remember it growing up with.

People have no problem with women lead movies if they are orginal and not alterations of their fav movies. see ghostbusters

Edited by Alli

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Does hiring a diverse cast count as forcing politics on people?

Or letting women and black people have dialogue? 

Might be too much of a stretch for MCU fans. 

Not interested in Star Wars, just saying. 

Yeah, I fail to see the politics being shoved down in this incarnation of SW, unless having women protagonists is still considered politics - which would be sad.

The prequels were way more on the nose about politics (Trade Federation, evil capitalists!)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, baumer said:

I didn't say anything about the three day.  I said good luck in Ant-man grossing more in three days that Solo does in 4.  I don't AM doubling its previous opening weekend.  

When's the last time any sequel doubled its opening weekend in a span of three years or less?  In other words, don't give me reboots like JW and TFA.  I mean direct sequels.  Pick any film, not just comic book movies.  There's one that I can recall off the top of my head and that is John wick to John Wick 2.

Never bet against the MCU, you never know what might happen. AATW can pull off a john wick. Not saying it will happen but it’s not so out of the question as you imply. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Never bet against the MCU, you never know what might happen. AATW can pull off a john wick. Not saying it will happen but it’s not so out of the question as you imply. 

Sure it can happen.  I personally don't see it.  That's why I said Good Luck.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

I didn't say anything about the three day.  I said good luck in Ant-man grossing more in three days that Solo does in 4.  I don't AM doubling its previous opening weekend.  

When's the last time any sequel doubled its opening weekend in a span of three years or less?  In other words, don't give me reboots like JW and TFA.  I mean direct sequels.  Pick any film, not just comic book movies.  There's one that I can recall off the top of my head and that is John wick to John Wick 2.

I mean I really shouldn't have to explain why a 100m OW is possible for the next MCU film right now, but there are a lot of reasons AMATW could get a 75% increase over the first's OW (what it needs for 100). The first set such a low benchmark for OW, the first had great WOM and legs, MCU is unstoppable right now in the goodwill and momentum department, IW effect like the TA effect for phase 2, trailer views are stronger than expected, etc. 

To answer your question about doubled OWs outside of JW2 though, Pitch Perfect 2, Hangover 2, New Moon, TDK, and The Matrix Reloaded all come to mind off the top of my head. Sure there are others I'm missing. And within MCU, both Captain America sequels got about a 75% increase over their predecessor's OW. 

• Like 3

The simple fact of the matter is having only three months to market kept SOLO from ever feeling like an event, and that's the fault of the bizarre "This must be a summer movie" mantra with the production of this film. Fast and Furious can pull it off, but Star Wars needs that hype machine of slow reveals in order to build hype. Like there's a good reason there's no "What Went Wrong?" thread because there's a lot of obvious reasons simply with how this was released and the marketing, without me having to go "MY DIRECTORS :(:(:( " about it

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Uzice said:

There is still some talk about Solo maybe having good legs and recovering.

Talk from whom? Because recovering is making over 700mil to even start covering that giant budget and marketing spend. Does anybody really believe that Solo is going to suddenly survive Fallen Kingdom overseas and make 300mil and that it will have better than Wonder Woman legs and make 400mil domestically? Where is the proof that it has such word of mouth? Because it has not shown any signs what-so-ever so far.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

3 hours ago, Blankments said:

This isn't necessarily directed at you, but people who are blaming Solo on TLJ's response, I just gotta say this: Rogue One doesn't hit 500M releasing on Memorial Day 2016. TLJ's response might have a little to do it but it's much more the proximity to release. Also, the marketing for Solo never had a hook. I know I've been biased against it, but you look at Rogue One's trailers and it's selling you something different from the mainline movies. Solo has always looked to have the tone of TFA and TLJ and thus, the lack of interest is clearly there. Add that to the fact that no one wanted a Han Solo prequel, and this was always going to be an uphill climb to success with the Memorial Day release, no matter how the production went or reception to TLJ was.

I agree with you 100%.  There's about 5 reasons why Solo failed, one of them being the divisive response to TLJ.  But it's not the only reason.  

Just now, Blankments said:

The simple fact of the matter is having only three months to market kept SOLO from ever feeling like an event, and that's the fault of the bizarre "This must be a summer movie" mantra with the production of this film. Fast and Furious can pull it off, but Star Wars needs that hype machine of slow reveals in order to build hype. Like there's a good reason there's no "What Went Wrong?" thread because there's a lot of obvious reasons simply with how this was released and the marketing, without me having to go "MY DIRECTORS :(:(:( " about it

This weekend thread is the WWW tbh

Just now, LonePirate said:

If that was your (or anyone else's) takeaway from TLJ, then we clearly did not watch the same movie.

That's my take from all identity politics and from the obvious marketing strategy that KK based on them. If you missed them, I can provide a few examples.

Of course, when the writers are imposed to such policies, quality of writing comes second, that's why we got Rose, Holdo etc. And the(ir) media follows, as obliged. I would need to pull off an all-nighter to count all the articles that went like "Here's our identity politics, and that's a good thing"-same attitude as yours when you claimed that whoever disagrees with you is a bigot.

Even more ironic, for years now it's been proven that you don't need to resort to such bullshit policies in order to create quality female or minority characters, J.Cameron, R.Scott and many others for example have done that time and time again, but I guess it couldn't get you any votes back then so we conveniently forgot about them.

tl;dr: I don't like identity politics in movies because it hinders good character writing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I mean I really shouldn't have to explain why a 100m OW is possible for the next MCU film right now, but there are a lot of reasons AMATW could get a 75% increase over the first's OW (what it needs for 100). The first set such a low benchmark for OW, the first had great WOM and legs, MCU is unstoppable right now in the goodwill and momentum department, IW effect like the TA effect for phase 2, trailer views are stronger than expected, etc. 

To answer your question about doubled OWs outside of JW2 though, Pitch Perfect 2, Hangover 2, New Moon, TDK, and The Matrix Reloaded all come to mind off the top of my head. Sure there are others I'm missing. And within MCU, both Captain America sequels got about a 75% increase over their predecessor's OW. 

Okay, well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.  I'm sure Ant-man will do well.  I just don't think it gets to a 100 mill OW.

Can't believe I forgot about TDK and New Moon and Reloaded.  :whosad: