CJohn

BOX OFFICE THEORY WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM WEEKEND THREAD | 150 OW OFFICIAL ESTIMATE | No Spoilers, Read Rules First Post! | First Post Updated with Sale Info

Happy for Universal! The only studio aside from Disney that continues to churn $1B WW movies with several franchises.

Since 2014, no other studio aside from Disney and Universal has succeeded in reaching $1B WW with any of its movies.

Sony in 2017 came close with Jumanji but still couldn't reach the mark.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

Of the films I listed?

If I take out the SM outlier, it's 27%. With pretty much everything +-10% of that.

Okay I said 25%.

How much will FK drop with 140 m OW and standard 2.5 legs?

https://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-tracking-mile-22-crazy-rich-asians-alpha/

Skyscraper $40,000,000 -9% $117,000,000 -9%  

Ant-Man and the Wasp $77,000,000   $205,000,000   3,900

Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! $33,000,000   $105,000,000  

Mission: Impossible – Fallout $65,000,000   $200,000,000  

Crazy Rich Asians $13,000,000 NEW $42,000,000 NEW

Alpha $8,500,000 NEW $24,000,000 NEW  

Mile 22 $15,000,000 15% $44,000,000 16%  
Edited by oMeriMombatti

Just now, Brainbug said:

17% actually. I think you mixed up the 15,3M number to 13,5M which gets you to 28%.

Heh, you're right. Too many numbers. (but that further proves my point)

The preview number is a good number. A weekend number of $145 mil or so is right inline with other sequel drops.

• Like 2

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Looking in from the outside, people gloating over this number & other people mocking them for it is a real Alien vs Predator situation

Totally off-topic but i watched The Innocents 2 days ago, forgot to tell you. Its amazing. Definetly Top 50 material. Claytons directing is magnificient.

4 minutes ago, nevermore said:

Yeah. In any case, this is another big hit for Universal.

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again might end up being more profitable than both JWFK and Grinch if it makes $400-550m WW

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Wouldn't surprise me if they get Neill, Dern, and Goldblum (and not just for a one scene cameo) back for the next film for one last hurrah.

It'd be good to have the original characters back with Owen and Claire, I think making Jurassic World 3 the 'final' film would work before Universal decides to reboot it or do a prequel trilogy. 

59 minutes ago, picores said:

150m OW/400 DOM are very much alive. Dinnos kicking haters asses for sure.

Well, just for fun.....Transformers 2 opened with $108M (Granted it opened on a Wednesday) and made $402M back in 2009....but with worse reception from critics. Then again, that film was critic-proof, and the negative reviews didn’t stop that movie.

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Okay I said 25%.

Why would a film like Jurassic World that doesn't have fans like Marvel, and has a much broader audience reach, only have 2.5x legs?

Just because 2.5 is standard for Avengers does not mean it is standard for other films.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again might end up being more profitable than both JWFK and Grinch if it makes $400-550m WW

It'd be good to have the original characters back with Owen and Claire, I think making Jurassic World 3 the 'final' film would work before Universal decides to reboot it or do a prequel trilogy. 

Mamma Mia is gonna make serious bank everywhere. I'm thinking it has a $40M/$120M run here now. Perfect counterprogramming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Mamma Mia will cost best part of 100M to produce, and big marketing costs as well, if it made 500M I don't think it would turn more profit than Jurassic World which will gross over $1 billions.

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Okay I said 25%.

Why would it have 2.5 legs with a lower OW? All the Jurassic films have had a 3.1 multi or higher.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

Mamma Mia is gonna make serious bank everywhere. I'm thinking it has a $40M/$120M run here now. Perfect counterprogramming.

I think it'll be closer to $30/115m domestic but it's going to be huge OS. Even if it drops from the first film domestically, I think $350-450m is doable.