baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

People obviously aren't as interested in this like I am, but I still can't believe how profitable the Deadpool movies are....especially in comparison to the other X-Men films.

Matter fact it's crazy to me that the three most profitable X-Men films are the R-rated ones even though 3-4 years ago the thought of an R-rated CBM making money the way Deadpool and Logan did would have seemed insane lol 

Yes, the X-Men series may never have been more profitable. After taking bold risks and succeeding, the franchise should have a bright future.

And yet... :whosad:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

33 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Wasn’t Ryan always a producer on DP? I’m sure he got a bigger paycheck on this but he always seemed keen on keeping costs low and maintaining the R-rated freedom. Given that it was a point of conflict between him and Miller, I don’t see any skyrocketing costs on DP2. Also new cast members probably weren’t that expensive either although Brolin is probably getting paid more for the next one. 

From my understanding Ryan had a backend deal with DP1. When it came out THR said he got paid $2M up front but had a nice back end deal. I'm guessing the back end deal involved producing as well as he made close to $20M off of it. 

For the sequel, I can imagine he got a bigger slice of the pie because his production company is directly involved but I'd also imagine that would mean Kinberg and Donner lost out on some of the pie, since there's a third production company involved. Don't know how much he got paid up front for it though and if instead he took that money over a back end deal this time around though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mekanos said:

When Infinity War hits 2 billion is Feige or anybody else gonna release a special statement? It's a franchise first.

I doubt it.  They'll probably want to act like they've been there before, even though they haven't.

• Like 1

Just now, MrGlass2 said:

Yes, the X-Men series may never have been more profitable. After taking bold risks and succeeding, the franchise should have a bright future.

And yet... :whosad:

Fox's R-rated CBM franchise cost $265M to make and is going to rake in $2B+ without 3D and two of the films without China 

Imagine that 

:sparta:

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Wrath said:

Wow. Kind of impressive how badly Action Point did.  Didn't expect much, but 1/2 of Upgrade's total is worse than I expected.

And it had 500 more theaters. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Was studying for about an hour

So what did I miss?

A weekend thread going to shit nothing out of the norm.

• Like 1

Deadpool 2 and Avengers: Infinity War weekend numbers are great. I'm glad to acknowledge that I was wrong about Deadpool 2 not being able to make to $300m+ dom, and while I'm not completely confident that it'll make to $320m+, it's certainly looking like it. I'll stick with $315m Dom right now purely for conservative reasons and keep my expectations in check. @baumer has seemingly made the right call comparing Deadpool 2's run to Spider-Man: Homecoming. 

• Like 2

Top multipliers so far this year for films opening in 1,000+ theaters:

1. I Can Only Imagine: 4.860

2. Peter Rabbit: 4.603

3. Game Night: 4.052

4. Sherlock Gnomes: 4.026

5. Forever My Girl: 3.857

6. Paddington 2: 3.676

7. A Quiet Place: 3.656

8. Book Club: 3.483

9. Love, Simon: 3.472

10. Black Panther: 3.461

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Wrath said:

Wow. Kind of impressive how badly Action Point did.  Didn't expect much, but 1/2 of Upgrade's total is worse than I expected.

I really thought it would do ok based on people laughing at the trailer. But apparently they didn't do much else to push it.

I also don't know why it was filmed in South Africa. Go figure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

When Infinity War hits 2 billion is Feige or anybody else gonna release a special statement? It's a franchise first.

I'm sure the Russo brothers will tweet something but Feige seems like he can't be bothered.

Just now, Darth Lehnsherr said:

The one two punch of X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men: Origins set the main X-Men series back that I don't think they've quite been able to recover from (at least in North America). 

Dark Phoenix luckily got a much better release date.

First Class didn't even do that well, DOFP did about as well as an X-Men could but then Apocalypse happened.. this franchise just needs to not tank themselves every other film and maybe they could actually build on their audience. 

• Like 1

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

I really thought it would do ok based on people laughing at the trailer. But apparently they didn't do much else to push it.

I also don't know why it was filmed in South Africa. Go figure.

South Africa probably gave them very good incentives to film the movie there. Who knows maybe it's made a profit because of those incentives. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

First Class didn't even do that well, DOFP did about as well as an X-Men could but then Apocalypse happened.. this franchise just needs to not tank themselves every other film and maybe they could actually build on their audience. 

DoFP did that well because they got the Original Cast back. I imagine a true First Class sequel wouldn't have made $200M in North America (could be wrong). 

Feige did tweet when Marvel got the Opening Weekend Record back

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 1

Dark Phoenix is the last movie before the X men join the MCU. It’s obvious. It’s also for the better. While I liked the idea of the X men being in their own universe Fox just isn’t able to let them reach their full potential 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Probably.  Disney will want to float a reminder out there for Fox shareholders voting on their offer in about a month that they have one of the most prolifically successful franchises in their stable and not just a Star Wars property in the midst of a stumble.

Edited by Horner
  • Like 1