baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

1 minute ago, Jim Shorts said:

At this rate, Alden Ehrenreich’s next two 2 movies in his supposed 3 movie deal will be for the Star Tours Disney rides.

han solo pops up in a couple episodes of the cartoon.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, PDC1987 said:

$120 million for a live action dramatic comedy. Even more ridiculous than Town & Country and its $90 million budget.

Fun with dick and jane was 123,785 net for a 2005 release (around 160m now a day), comedy getting in the 100-150m budget with that kind of trailers:

Was not that uncommon around 2002-2008

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Even if JW underperforms and goes as low as 120 or something, the weekend of the 22nd will still likely be the biggest ever for that weekend. Perfectly balanced. 

Agreed. I think Gitesh is pandering to the unsavvy box office follower with kind of tweet. Nothing opening this weekend was ever going to be anywhere near as big as Wonder Woman and then you have Deadpool in his third week Infinity Wars and its Sixth and everyone and their mother knew solo was going to be a disappointment. So I think you need to tell more of the story I'm just tweeting out some kind of half-assed tweet about the box office not being strong.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, A2k Rex said:

true, no clue about participation costs. signing such a big cast for sequels must seem like a bigger headache unless it's a mega hit.

Now a day they seem to accept more and more to let go of the first dollar gross and accept participation of what they call the CB-0 (a pool of all revenues made after a pre-determined break even point formula), even Tom Hanks accepted that on Inferno and they were pushing it on Denzel of all people on Magnificent 7.

With the example of the Sony leak, they seem to usually get around 50% of the revenues splitted among them, when Will Smith is alone on Concussion is bonus hit 50% of the revenues after a certain point, when they are a group like American Hustle or Mag 7 they split.

Using Magnificant 7 for an example, instead of having Washington getting 15% of the revenues, Fuqua 5% and Birnbaum 5% they preferred transferring them to a 50% of the "profits" instead, reducing risk greatly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Agreed. I think Gitesh is pandering to the unsavvy box office follower with kind of tweet. Nothing opening this weekend was ever going to be anywhere near as big as Wonder Woman and then you have Deadpool in his third week Infinity Wars and its Sixth and everyone and their mother knew solo was going to be a disappointment. So I think you need to tell more of the story I'm just tweeting out some kind of half-assed tweet about the box office not being strong.

The weekend of the 15th will also be one of the biggest for its weekends if the 140+ I2 tracking happens and O8 is a leggy breakout. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

When was Solo a serious character to begin with? In fact, I believe that a lot of Pratt's Starlord is based on Ford's Solo.

Pratt's Starlord is a man-child parody version of Ford's Solo.

24 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

If Solo is around the 300m budget mark, then keep in mind it would miss its budget by around 100m DOM. That's horrendous, barely above John Carter levels of disaster. And then it has abysmal OS on top of it. 250m budget makes it a little better, though still easily a sizable money loser at the box office. Those toy sales had better perform. 

The Porgs did not perform for the last Jedi. I doubt a woke  droid will do the business for Solo. 

23 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

I dont agree with this criticism. If DEADPOOL 2 didn't move last minute nobody would be talking about a quiet first weekend of June.

Conversely, if WONDER WOMAN suddenly moved last year then that weekend would have been quiet as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

It amazes me that nothing really came out this week and Solo still took a dive.

You shouldn't be amazed. Films that open on MD weekend typically have steep drops in weekend 2.

IW had a fantastic hold OS this weekend, only down 25%. Lmao at the doom and gloomers who  kept trying to insist 2b wouldn't happen even just last week. Y'all know who you are. Hell, if Japan surprises and does a little better than expected, then TFA would be back on the menu. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jim Shorts said:

At this rate, Alden Ehrenreich’s next two 2 movies in his supposed 3 movie deal will be for the Star Tours Disney rides.

They can recast him as Poe Dameron’s cousin or something . Looks more like him anyway 

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

You shouldn't be amazed. Films that open on MD weekend typically have steep drops in weekend 2.

Yes, something you yourself didn't know until recently though. We've also established this weekend usually has far stronger competition, and it's worth noting Solo's second weekend drop is the worst among any recent MD opener, even Apocalypse. 

• Like 1