Water Bottle

Ocean's 8 Weekend Thread | O8: 41.5...Solo 15.1...DP2: 13.6...Hereditary: 13.0

18 minutes ago, Rebelscum said:

Dread and tension are great. I love getting that feeling. But the pay off needs to be huge.

You should build dread and tension towards a total overwhelmingly shtf climax.

I feel like this studio, uses tension to mildly elevate pretty mediocre conflicts.

Is our living in a Marvel world making people think that just because a studio releases some vaguely similar horror films it actually makes them, like a conveyor belt or something? A24 doesn't "use tension" to elevate anything, it doesn't write and direct movies. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biggestgeekever said:

This is the most predictable post in the history of this forum.

You know it very well might be because if you've seen the film you'll know that it's not a good horror film or a good movie. Look I'm 46 years old buddy. I'm pretty confident in saying that I have seen more horror movies then almost anybody at the site. I know there are people here like @Krissykinsand @75Liveand @Thrylos 7  and others who have seen lots of horror movies but I'm older than most people here. I've seen movies from all different countries all different regions straight-to-dvd horror movies and 100 million dollar horror folms. I know what I like in a horror movie and hereditary is the worst kind of horror movie. It's random it doesn't explain things it's not scary in my opinion and the end of it is just buck wild whack. So I'm sorry if I don't like these Art House or movies that critics masturbate over but they're just not my thing and hereditary is probably the worst of the bunch.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

You know it very well might be because if you've seen the film you'll know that it's not a good horror film or a good movie. Look I'm 46 years old buddy. I'm pretty confident in saying that I have seen more horror movies then almost anybody at the site. I know there are people here like @Krissykinsand @75Liveand @Thrylos 7  and others who have seen lots of horror movies but I'm older than most people here. I've seen movies from all different countries all different regions straight-to-dvd horror movies and 100 million dollar horror folms. I know what I like in a horror movie and hereditary is the worst kind of horror movie. It's random it doesn't explain things it's not scary in my opinion and the end of it is just buck wild whack. So I'm sorry if I don't like these Art House or movies that critics masturbate over but they're just not my thing and hereditary is probably the worst of the bunch.

I do think though you will like my Top Ten tomorrow :D

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

I know what I like in a horror movie and hereditary is the worst kind of horror movie. It's random it doesn't explain things it's not scary in my opinion and the end of it is just buck wild whack. 

You perfectly described Hereditary in a single word: "random." I thought the film tried to be several different types of horror films but you boiled down the film's essence far more succinctly than I did.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

Haven't seen Hereditary and I'm lukewarm on horror in general, but aren't the scariest kinds of horror movies the ones that don't explain things? Like how Freddy and Michael were just evil for no logical reason in the original films? Just never heard that brought up as a complaint by a horror fan. 

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Haven't seen Hereditary and I'm lukewarm on horror in general, but aren't the scariest kinds of horror movies the ones that don't explain things? Like how Freddy and Michael were just evil for no logical reason in the original films? Just never heard that brought up as a complaint by a horror fan. 

There are certain films where you don't have to explain what you're talking about like how a man in a mask has superhuman powers. Or why the Sawyer Clan decided two chainsaw people to death. But you do have to explain a film like hereditary. And that's all I can really say about it. You'll understand what I mean when you see the film.

• Like 1

I've just found a list with all the movies that got the D CinemaScore ( D+ or D or D- ).  So far, there are 86 movies ( Hereditary is already included ).

http://www.listal.com/list/cinemascore-films-got-ds

Wow, I was surprised because I actually saw some of these movies and didn't even know they had got that CinemaScore.

The biggest surprises are American Psycho, Get Carter, Willard and Vampires. I thought they had higher CinemaScores. Shocked to see that Willard was almost an F, lol. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ledmonkey96 said:

Did Avatar not release 2 days early OS? It Did December 16th in OS markets, December 18th domestic.

Yeah, I've taken that into account. That Saturday is Avatar's 44th day in North America and 46th overall.

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

It could have imo, with that opening weekend with a mediocre product with mediocre review, do show how much potential it had.

A better 8/10 type of movie, giving us a bit better trailers, maybe the movie would have overreach it's target and safe audience it went for (played really really heavy on the woman over 25 quadrant) and could have made a 50m OW run with an bit over 3.15x multi without much of a stretch. A bit of a missed opportunity, but the project was so safe (one of the safest in year's outside the direct sequel type or Super Heroes) that is still a great result without even landing the movie and at 70m didn't needed to play outside it's 2 best quadrant at all.

A bit like Murder on the Orient express in many way or Mag 7.

Rt average score

Murder : 6.1/10

Mag 7: 6.0/10

Ocean 8: 6.3/10

All rather safe project, with a logical budget, assemble cast and franchise power needing only a 6/10 movie to achieve success and Ocean 8 should easily end up the most successful of the bunch domestic, will see oversea, Murder on the Orient express is probably safe there.

I wouldn't be surprised if they played it safe after what happened with Ghostbusters, I think with the franchise successfully restarted, they can take more risks with a sequel. I wouldn't be shocked if Gary Ross doesn't return.

OS wise, I think Ocean's Thirteen OS total is achievable IMO but I wouldn't be shocked if it cracks $200m OS

Edited by Jonwo

4 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Oh Jesus yeah. 

I'm surprised Hereditary's Cinema score is that high

Agreed. I got out and thought it was worse than mother! I haven't seen another movie recently that asked so so much of the audience and delivery next to nothing in return. The Box called, it wants its completely insane and nonsensical plot back.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think Wes Craven said it best, people don't go to horror films to be scared, they do it to release the fear that is already inside of them. It is a catharsis. But it is actually a very delicate dance. A great horror film needs mystery and confusion and dread. That gets people to feel comfortable with the  unsettling feelings inside of themselves. But you can't leave them there, you gotta bring them home and make them feel safe on some level or at least make them feel like they have purged the fear they have felt. Hereditary is filled with some very deep dread, but it just leaves you there: confused and alone. The ending is completely nonsensical and doesn't connect at all with the earlier feelings it conjures. So it makes you feel like shit and just leaves you there.

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I find it interesting that none of the Ocean's films have ever cracked A on Cinemascore, even Ocean's Eleven only got a B+

Old ppl confused by all the twists

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I find it interesting that none of the Ocean's films have ever cracked A on Cinemascore, even Ocean's Eleven only got a B+

it's because so far none of these movies have been actually set at sea. such a blatant lie in the title won't go unnoticed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's because so far none of these movies have been actually set at sea. such a blatant lie in the title won't go unnoticed.

An Ocean's film set on a boat, think Sandra Bullock would have PTSD from her time making Speed 2.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

An Ocean's film set on a boat, think Sandra Bullock would have PTSD from her time making Speed 2.

ocean's 9 on a boat. for stunt casting kate winslet is the extra gal on the crew and they gotta steal a diamond from billy zane you're welcome gary ross.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 7