kayumanggi

The King's Man | December 22 2021 | Fox | Delayed again | Comes to Hulu/Disney+ February 18

2 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

I still don't understand why this was delayed from its February 14, 2020 release date in the first place, when it had already had 2 trailers released.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

That was one week after Birds of Prey, guessing they were afraid it would be completely overshadowed back when everyone thought that movie was gonna be a much bigger deal than it ended up being.

Apparently it was because of reshoots to bump up Gemma Arterton's character. They even had to replace the production designer and the cinematographer since the original ones were busy with other projects.

https://hnentertainment.co/matthew-vaughns-kingsman-prequel-the-kings-man-undergoes-reshoots/

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cookie said:

Apparently it was because of reshoots to bump up Gemma Arterton's character. They even had to replace the production designer and the cinematographer since the original ones were busy with other projects.

https://hnentertainment.co/matthew-vaughns-kingsman-prequel-the-kings-man-undergoes-reshoots/

Yeah, from what I heard pretty much everything in the movie tested pretty ok (barring some of the gruesome violence and gags). And so did the characters, except for Harris Dickinson as Fiennes' son, which is a problem as he's the main one. 

So my guess is that these reshoots were done to beef up the parts of the supporting players and possibly give the Dickinson character more of a personality. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TerwillikerInst said:

Yeah, from what I heard pretty much everything in the movie tested pretty ok (barring some of the gruesome violence and gags). And so did the characters, except for Harris Dickinson as Fiennes' son, which is a problem as he's the main one. 

So my guess is that these reshoots were done to beef up the parts of the supporting players and possibly give the Dickinson character more of a personality. 

I remember hearing/reading awhile back similar things to what you're saying; that the main character wasn't as likeable or compelling as they originally thought so they delayed it to improve on his scenes/the script overall. I'm curious to see how this turns out as I remember seeing the first trailer way back last year and thought it looked interesting, and this is coming from someone who's seen neither of the Kingsmen movies.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TerwillikerInst said:

Yeah Dickinson looks super bland in the trailers. The newest one barely showed him

• Like 1

23 hours ago, grim22 said:

To be fair, most things in this world are better than The Golden Circle  

Being better then Golden Circle is not exactly a high bar to cross.

And "World War One Action Drama" means "We want another Wonder Woman".

I'm honestly still confused why they went down the prequel route here. Nobody cares about Kingsman lore and a lot of folks fell off Golden Circle anyways. Why not satiate the poor saps like me that liked Golden Circle and give us one more Eggsy/Harry adventure? You were going to decline no matter what and the series was going to end after this movie anyways (this was in development months after the Disney-Fox deal was announced, so it's not like Matthew Vaughn didn't know his franchise was on shaky ground). Just give the Kingsman fans some closure with the characters, put out a trilogy box set, and call it a day.

19 minutes ago, Eric Osborn said:

I'm honestly still confused why they went down the prequel route here. Nobody cares about Kingsman lore and a lot of folks fell off Golden Circle anyways. Why not satiate the poor saps like me that liked Golden Circle and give us one more Eggsy/Harry adventure? You were going to decline no matter what and the series was going to end after this movie anyways (this was in development months after the Disney-Fox deal was announced, so it's not like Matthew Vaughn didn't know his franchise was on shaky ground). Just give the Kingsman fans some closure with the characters, put out a trilogy box set, and call it a day.

FWIW Ralph Fiennes is also a producer on this so I'm guessing this was conceived as an action vehicle for him (as well as one last chance to milk this franchise for whatever it was worth) once it became obvious Firth, Egerton, etc. weren't coming back.

34 minutes ago, filmlover said:

FWIW Ralph Fiennes is also a producer on this so I'm guessing this was conceived as an action vehicle for him (as well as one last chance to milk this franchise for whatever it was worth) once it became obvious Firth, Egerton, etc. weren't coming back.

Well, Matthew Vaughn seems to believe Kingsman 3 will start shooting next September:

While promoting The King's Man, a prequel to Kingsman: The Secret Service and Kingsman: The Golden Circle which tells the World War I-era origin story of the spy group, the franchise's producer and director Matthew Vaughn shared the news with ComicBook.com in an exclusive interview. "We're all set to go,' Vaughn said. 'We start filming in September." He teased that this Kingsman 3 will wrap up Eggsy's story.

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/kingsman-3-september-2022-filming-sequel/

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Well, Matthew Vaughn seems to believe Kingsman 3 will start shooting next September:

I mean I guess it can probably thrive as a Hulu/Star Original Movie. Better than nothing I suppose.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

See people on here say the franchise was killed by part 2 (disagree), I feel like there's a bunch of beloved franchises that kinda stumbled on the second go around, I still see a lot of references to it and I do think it could have found its place in the culture as a James Bond lite if they redeemed themselves with part 3. People still want that kind of thing. Prequel with unknown characters was such a dumb idea. 

That and the long wait between 2 and 3 (with 3 just being okay) will probably be the thing that kills it for good.

They should have just put this on streaming like Disney Plus or something; yeah I bet there was some legal clause or something stating that Disney had to release this in theaters but still. They gave this a poor release date and they should've moved this way out of Spider Mans way if they wanted to make a semi-decent profit.

And coupled with the fact that the last movie came out over four years ago it feels like the studio just wanted to dump this and move on. Apparently they green light another movie, but with Golden Circle and now this one getting poor reception it'll be an uphill battle to garner interest in another Kingsman movie. For their sake they should just put the next movie on a steaming service and be done with the series.

Edited by clockwork

On 12/14/2021 at 1:41 PM, Napoleon said:

File under "I'll believe it when I see it". After no one cared about the second movie and even fewer about this one, the only way I can see another one happening is as a Disney+ thing and that likely isn't in the cards. Disney won't be sinking money into continuing this in all likelihood.