sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - JW: $60.91M - I2: 46.42M - Sicario: $19.00M - Uncle Drew: $15.24M

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

And there's AWIT with $440k plus and currently a better PTA.  :lol:   They overshot on AWIT, could have given BP a few more DF with I2 and both would be done already.

Ideally in terms of story (and because it has yet to benefit from significantly from any double features unlike the other two) AMTW DF should go mostly to AIW. 

Agreed. IW is what makes sense for AMATW doubles. It will only be BP if Disney really does care about 700.

• Like 1

Extreme cold is obviously better than extreme heat, don’t even think there’s much question there.          

JW2 looks to be holding a bit better than I expected, and I2 a bit worse, but I think it will still clear a 3.15 multi.        

Everyone seems to be talking about AM&TW double features from a purely financial perspective, but there’s also the matter of audience overlap suitability. AM&TW is a fun family/kid friendly movie that you can take your 8 year old too. It could be appropriately paired with I2, Solo, or BP. IW not so much.

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

Extreme cold is obviously better than extreme heat, don’t even think there’s much question there.          

JW2 looks to be holding a bit better than I expected, and I2 a bit worse, but I think it will still clear a 3.15 multi.        

Everyone seems to be talking about AM&TW double features from a purely financial perspective, but there’s also the matter of audience overlap suitability. AM&TW is a fun family/kid friendly movie that you can take your 8 year old too. It could be appropriately paired with I2, Solo, or BP. IW not so much.

How comfortable a temperature feels depends on humidity, i'll take 120-130 dry over 0 any day. I'll get into the negatives if it's humid though

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

How much realistically does Sicario 2 need to made so they we get a 3rd?

Sicario 2 got quite the troubled release:

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/sicario-sequel-granite-mountain-lionsgate-sony-1202394099/

But I think Rothman like that franchise (he pushed the first one at Sony when he was not running the show yet, but it was also him pushing them to get Villeneuve at Sony stable, same for Arrival) and the first one had almost no downside for the acquiring studio with how Black Label finance them after international pre-sales (small 32m budget) and was a fully independent movie.

That is the trade status about it:

While the studio has reported that Soldado cost $35M, our phone is ringing off the hook with sources telling us that the movie’s budget is a reported $45M before P&A (vs Sicario‘s reported $30M). At that budget level, finance sources question how Soldado profits. Sony receives a distribution and marketing fee, and reportedly doesn’t have any skin in this sequel, which they obtained after Black Label decided not to release via Lionsgate after a disagreement over the title’s release date and marketing plans (news which Deadline exclusively reported). Sony has Latin American and Spain for Soldado, which open this weekend, followed by South Africa on Aug. 3. Lionsgate is opening Soldado in 42 international territories this weekend, with the major locales being UK, South Korea, Australia, France and Russia/CIS.

This one also a fully 100% independent movie apparently from people that really do what they want and have La la land money, that make stuff a bit hard to predict.

Element like if Blunt really agreed on the third one like it was said in some interview at a really good price but with good back end points, if Sheridan idea for it is a good one and if it is a concept they can make around 35m, this one does not necessarily need to make that much, could need to continue to oversell on home video too. A 17.5m OW, 51m dbo, 35m intl, 86m WW type for the bad received one could be seen as enough depending on Home ent performance to green light a 35-40m next one.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I don't think BP is suited any better for younger audiences than IW. The ritual combat scenes are probably the most visceral thing MCU has ever done. And I honestly thought the museum scene was pushing it for PG-13. Movies have been R for less. Then there's the thematic subject matter of Killmonger's whole arc, which is very mature. 

Edited by MovieMan89

49 minutes ago, AJG said:

Weekend so boring people are debating the weather...

On that debate, in modern time with AC at work, car and home and by what we call extreme heat in Canada.....

I think I would take Canada extreme heat every day over Canada extreme cold, when we get close to -40, specially if you add some wind it is kind of debilitating to try to do anything outside that is not some form of active enough sport for a short time, the consequence of a always frosted ground for infrastructure, the lot of clothes constant ordeal, the poor cars.....

There is probably good reason why you find much more humans in place that it is often very hot than the other way around.

Except with some special suit and space helmet type, you never get to be comfortable in extreme cold, you need at least to wear a mask that heat the air before breathing it and your movement/activity at that level of equipment will be very uncomfortable, electronic/battery do not work long outside either.

Everything to do become a challenge requiring a lot of preparation in extreme cold, it is fun a day from time to time with people rallying around it, but more than that it would be terrible pain.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Fallen Kingdom's second weekend drop is not at all note worthy to me. I would like it to but I don't see 400mil happening unless it really holds up under Ant-Man next weekend. 

The drop is pretty much expected considering how tepid WOM seems to be.

• Like 1