sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - JW: $60.91M - I2: 46.42M - Sicario: $19.00M - Uncle Drew: $15.24M

8 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

lol i guess you can blame Del Toro who apparently came up with lots of stuff on the fly.

Considering some recent interviews/QA I'd blame Stefano Sollima and studio/producers who ruined his script because of a lot of very questionable decisions, including business ones. Del Toro actually improved first Sicario with his suggestions, but I don't think he had any influence on Soldado.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

I like how everyone outside of TOG has ignored what Uncle Drew is doing on RT. This forum always undervalues low-scale minority focused films, I'm sure most here weren't expecting Uncle Drew to reach 25% on RT, let alone inch close to 70%. Drew's average rating is also only 0.1 lower than Oceans 8, and higher than Tag, Jurassic World, and Book Club.

Drew was never going to be a critical tidal wave, but it wasn't aiming to be. It was aiming to be a light hearted crowd pleaser. Would like to see a surprise out of this weekend.

It only has 51 reviews right now.  Maybe a lot of the recent ones landed on the fresh side of the coin.  I wonder how long it will take to add 100 more reviews.

28 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

honestly i've kinda been calling he wasn't as strong as the hype around him. the first sicario is still the best film of his scripts and villeneuve apparently stripped much of his pseudo-profound macho dialogue from it (another thing sheridan has in common with the pizzaman tbh) 

Hell or High Water is his best work I think, since it carries over Sicario's playing around with structure/POV and adds flavorful dialogue and humor. Helps that it's set in the milieu he's most familiar with. It's been downhill since then though. 

• Like 2

I mean I didn’t realize that I was supposed to jump for joy over a film that has a 67% on RT with 50 reviews and was actually rotten not even a day ago. Having said that it going from rotten (which I admit is why I didn’t pay attention to it because I thought it would keep going down) to fresh has me interested in seeing just how high it goes/where it finishes. And since I’m interested I’ve visited Uncle Drew’s RT page twice in the last half hour and I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s audience score is being messed with. It was at 44% about a half hour ago if not less and now is down to 35%. Wouldn’t be surprised if the alt-right is at it again. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Considering some recent interviews/QA I'd blame Stefano Sollima and studio/producers who ruined his script because of a lot of very questionable decisions, including business ones. Del Toro actually improved first Sicario with his suggestions, but I don't think he had any influence on Soldado.

Got any links? I'm curious to read what the deal is. 

Reminder for @baumer since I fear he may have forgotten: watch Incredibles 1 and I'll donate $20 to the site. I'm still super curious on what you'd think of it since like I could definitely see you adoring it possibly. I can also see you hating it but the answer will be unknown unless you watch it haha

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Nova said:

I mean I didn’t realize that I was supposed to jump for joy over a film that has a 67% on RT with 50 reviews and was actually rotten not even a day ago. Having said that it going from rotten (which I admit is why I didn’t pay attention to it because I thought it would keep going down) to fresh has me interested in seeing just how high it goes/where it finishes. And since I’m interested I’ve visited Uncle Drew’s RT page twice in the last half hour and I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s audience score is being messed with. It was at 44% about a half hour ago if not less and now is down to 35%. Wouldn’t be surprised if the alt-right is at it again. 

the more votes that are added, the less weight troll votes should affect the overall score.  I want to reiterate that I think RT audience score is as reliable as IMDB now.  also, I think the RT audience score is as reliable as the IMDB one now.

1 minute ago, mathemetrics said:

the more votes that are added, the less weight troll votes should affect the overall score.  I want to reiterate that I think RT audience score is as reliable as IMDB now.  also, I think the RT audience score is as reliable as the IMDB one now.

Of course but what I’m saying is that the user score going down 9 percentage points in less than a half hour is not normal and indicates to me at least that it’s being down voted on purpose. I’m on mobile though so I have no idea how many ratings it has total but I just thought it was odd. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Hell or High Water is his best work I think, since it carries over Sicario's playing around with structure/POV and adds flavorful dialogue and humor. Helps that it's set in the milieu he's most familiar with. It's been downhill since then though. 

i'd rank it at the bottom tbh. i think a lot of that flavorful dialogue is on the nose clunkers delivered in a sassy texan accent.

1 minute ago, mathemetrics said:

RT has far fewer votes than IMDB and what it used to have (75-90% less than last year depending on the genre) which makes it far more easy to target and skew scores.

• Astonished 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

RT has far fewer votes than IMDB and what it used to have (75-90% less than last year depending on the genre) which makes it far more easy to target and skew scores.

Does anyone know why RT has had such a large decrease in user ratings in such a short amount of time? 

I avoided watching Hell or High Water for pretty much a year and a half cause I thought it looked boring.

Hell I'm sure glad I was way wrong. And wish I hadn't waited so long to watch it cause I probably woulda watched it 2 or 3 more times in that year and I half that I waited. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mathemetrics said:

RT scores are as reliable as IMDB scores now.  Does Yahoo Movies still do user ratings?  Anything else other than RT, Metacritics, etc.?

Reddit has a movie ranking and poll system but I wouldn't consider it impartial, fair or representative of anything, especially with regard to a movie like Uncle Drew.

https://youpoll.me/list/9/

• Like 1