sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - JW: $60.91M - I2: 46.42M - Sicario: $19.00M - Uncle Drew: $15.24M

27 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

taylor sheridan rankings

Hell or High Water

Sicario

Wind River

Sicario: Day of the Soldado

Also has Yellowstone, only on the Paramount Network

Sicario

Hell or High Water

Wind River.

All really really really good.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Sicario down to 62%, Uncle Drew at 67%.  Upset of the decade?  Upset of the decade.

I’m not surprised. I saw Uncle Drew last night and it was a funny movie. 

• Like 6

Gotta love when Deadline, Variety, etc, state a projected weekend gross without even telling us a Friday number. I expect Incredibles 2 will be closer to $50M than $40M.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Sheridan's movies get worse every year. Haven't seen Soldado yet, but it seems like a pretty big drop off

The reception of his TV show isn't encouraging either. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

Totally missed my entire point.

Not really. Do movies that are focused on POC get underlooked on here? Absolutely and I’ve said that on numerous occasions especially when it comes to their BO potential. Uncle Drew was literally rotten yesterday so most folks ignored its RT score not because it’s a movie that focuses on POC but because most folks assumed that it would remain rotten. 

Edited by Nova

I don't see Uncle Drew's attendance exceeding that of Sicario's since Sicario had the lead on Thursday up about 50% over U.D.  

Sicario 2 - 2.0 million, 2,669 locations = $749/theater

Uncle Drew - 1.1 million from ~ 2,201 locations = $500/theater

I guess Sicario could double Thursdays $750 to $1500, then just do $2,000 and say Uncle Drew does 4x Thursday and matches that with 2k PTA Friday.  

In that case, $2,000 PTA for each gives, but this feels like an upper bound prediction

3,055 locations - Sicario 2 - 6.11m/8.11m

2,742 locations - Uncle Drew - 5.48m/6.58m 

• Like 1

Did y'all not like Wind River? I loved it! His first three movies were all knockouts for me.

Sicario 2 was like a 7.5/10. I really enjoyed it but it's not amazing. I'm liking Yellowstone but it's not great either. Hopefully it can get better as it goes along but I do believe it is better than the mixed reception it's gotten, but I guess I understand why critics aren't liking it

Also just watched The Prestige for the first time, absolutely unspoiled about everything. Another Christopher Nolan movie that has a really promising first 3/4s but introduces/dials up some magical nonsense and fails to stick the landing (Inception worked a lot better than Prestige and Interstellar though).    

Edit: Also, holy Christ, that movie was jam packed with actors from superhero movies. In addition to Batman, Wolverine, Alfred, and Black Widow it even had Klaue and Maya Hansen.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I thought Wind River was pretty great, Hell or High Water too, yet to see the Sicarios.

I haven't seen the Sicario's either.  I liked HOHW and WR quite a lot - though both got a bit cluster fuckery at the end (particularly WR - not sure how he could make Olsen's FBI character more incompetent) which kept them from being great.

Edited by TalismanRing

Wind River was mediocre. Stock characters and dialogue, dull self-serious tone, wish-fulfillment fantasy of a resolution, and oh yeah it's another story about the plight of a marginalized community that barely gives its members any screentime. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Nova said:

Not really. Do movies that are focused on POC get underlooked on here? Absolutely and I’ve said that on numerous occasions especially when it comes to their BO potential. Uncle Drew was literally rotten yesterday so most folks ignored its RT score not because it’s a movie that focuses on POC but because most folks assumed that it would remain rotten. 

I wasn't saying BOF is racist against Uncle Drew, just pointing out that critically it's doing much better than what was assumed of it from the beginning, which should be noted. That includes outside BOF, saw a lot of folks on Twitter who had a field day after the first trailer.

28 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Wind River was mediocre. Stock characters and dialogue, dull self-serious tone, wish-fulfillment fantasy of a resolution, and oh yeah it's another story about the plight of a marginalized community that barely gives its members any screentime. 

Yeah, all those things were my issues as well. Especially the stock characters and white savor thing. 

• Like 1