WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 92): Ant-Man and the Wasp 75.8M (#CRUMBLING EVEN MORE) | Jurassic World 28.6M | Incredibles 2 28.4M | The First Purge 17.4M

3 hours ago, Quake said:

What is up with those contradicting Boxoffice articles for Antman and Wasp in the Stateside the writer say it will be in the black with a gross of 600-650 million from 162 million budget. Then in the foreign one the writer says it will profit with 100 million getting to 600 million from 162 million budget.

I am seriously confused 

Because no one really knows.  They just talk out of their butts.  

3 minutes ago, Quake said:

Wonder Woman or The Dark Knight didn’t get an Oscar nomination for best picture. Why would this. Its a fairly straight forward superhero movie. Those 2 Movies are far superior.

TDK definitely would have gotten a nom, but back then only 5 movies were allowed. They expanded it to 10 in part because of TDK.

Edited by nevermore

41 minutes ago, Quake said:

What is up with those contradicting Boxoffice articles for Antman and Wasp in the Stateside the writer say it will be in the black with a gross of 600-650 million from 162 million budget. Then in the foreign one the writer says it will profit with 100 million getting to 600 million from 162 million budget.

I am seriously confused 

Not contradictory from what you've written.  Both say it will be in the black and one says by approximately how much (though $100m seems like a lowball)

It doesn't need $600m to be in the black with that budget otherwise there are tons of supposedly quite profitable films that have lost money.   Jeez they had BvS Justice League with a $300m budget with just a supposed  $60m loss.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, a2k said:

RO did 36 odd in Japan I think and last I visited the Japanese BO thread an analysis said 25+ looked realistic for Solo.

Just going off of BOM which lists 39m. 25 would require a retention of RO's gross way bigger than virtually any other market. So Japan would have to be a big anomaly for it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Quake said:

Wonder Woman or The Dark Knight didn’t get an Oscar nomination for best picture. Why would this. Its a fairly straight forward superhero movie. Those 2 Movies are far superior.

A couple of reasons:

1. It’s Metascore is in the high-80s

2. Hollywood was already pushing it hard at the ceremony a few months ago

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Just going off of BOM which lists 39m. 25 would require a retention of RO's gross way bigger than virtually any other market. So Japan would have to be a big anomaly for it. 

Again .... Japan is a unique market with different patterns and likes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Gato said:

I'm not making anything up. All of what I said is true. Marvel has tried to push Carol as their top female and Marvel fans have flat out rejected her. They've even given her a nickname, that I'd rather not repeat.

And no, Wonder Woman is none of the above, which is why her film was such a roaring success. Fact is, Diana is the alpha female, as no other female character even comes close to reaching her accomplishments (heck only Batman/Spiderman/Superman are in her league). She's been in constant publication since 1941, and has had a outside media presence since the 1960's...

The X-Women are cool and all, but DC just has a bigger more marketable roster (thanks to Super Hero Girls aka a billion dollar franchise). Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Harley Quinn, Supergirl, Batgirl, Poison Ivy, Hawkgirl, Raven, Starfire, Bumblebee, Katana, Jessica Cruz...etc Yeah, DC stomps! Also FYI, Harley Quinn, Posion Ivy, Constantine, Aqualad (from Young Justice), Midnighter and Apollo are all LGBT characters and more iconic than Hulkling/Wiccan.

Those who attack Captain Marvel are not fans, but trolls or sexists.
And Wonder Woman is a dated, generic and cliche character, she being all these years in the media doesn't mean anything, because any character gets known through the media. 
There are several other characters better than her. Like I said Marvel has all the X-Women: Jean Grey,Storm,Rogue,Emma Frost,Kitty Pryde,Psylocke...Black Widow,Wasp,Captain Marvel,Ms Marvel,Thor/Jane Foster(who was nominated the most influential character in the comics of the decade and has one of the most acclaimed and award-winning comic of the decade),Invisible Woman,Spider-Woman,Gamora,Scarlet Witch,Valkyrie,Medusa,Jessica Jones,Elektra,She Hulk,Kate Bishop,..all strong,independet,iconic female characters,and all of them reunited in A-Force.

These DC characters you mentioned are just female versions of the male characters,the others are who,and...Harley Quinn, a sexualized character who lives in an abusive relationship, oh let's not forget that DC has already been accused of sexism several times and caused the movement ' 'Women in Refrigerators'.

For the LGBT characters Marvel has Mystique,Loki,Iceman,Wiccan,Hulkling,America Chavez,Northstar,Shatterstar,Daken,Karolina Dean all more iconic than those you mentioned. 

Marvel also has the most iconic black characters: Black Panther,Storm,Luke Cage,Blade,Bishop,Misty Knight,Falcon,Monica Rambeau.

Edited by andersonhoran
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Not happening for Best Picture but I can see a chance for Best Adapted Screenplay for Black Panther

Depends on how packed the race ends up being. Logan got in that category last year, but it's hard not to wonder if it was helped by how astoundingly dead that category was (seriously, what would've been the default winner in that line-up had Call Me by Your Name been an original screenplay?).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It doesn't need $600m to be in the black with that budget otherwise there are tons of supposedly quite profitable films that have lost money.   Jeez they had BvS with a $300m budget with just a supposed  $60m loss

Do you mean Justice League or Solo ?

Deadline (if this is the they people are talking about) had BvS quite profitable (105m net) even without merchandise boost:

https://deadline.com/2017/03/batman-v-superman-box-office-profit-2016-1202049201/

Has for a 100m net profit from a 162m movie with a 150m World P&A making 600m WW...

This could somewhat similar to a movie like Hancock, that made 624m from a 166m net budget and a 168m world release.

The studio made 78.5m of profit on that one, third party investor around 11m and Will Smith and other with points made over 110m, for around 200m in profit going around. Taking into account China factor, bit weaker dbo, weaker home ent. than a 2008 release it does feel a bit low 100m but it depend on the above the line participation deal a lot, if Feige make 40m on a movie like this that eat at your bottom line, Reed, Rudd, etc...

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I’m about to see Marvel’s crumbling disasterpiece and there’s only two people here lol

2 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Scratch that there’s 8 people now lol

They're scrapping the releases of Captain Marvel and Avengers 4 after this post. Gee, thanks CoolEric.

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Do you mean Justice League or Solo ?

Deadline (if this is the they people are talking about) had BvS quite profitable (105m net) even without merchandise boost:

https://deadline.com/2017/03/batman-v-superman-box-office-profit-2016-1202049201/

Has for a 100m net profit from a 162m movie with a 150m World P&A making 600m WW...

This could somewhat similar to a movie like Hancock, that made 624m from a 166m net budget and a 168m world release.

The studio made 78.5m of profit on that one, third party investor around 11m and Will Smith and other with points made over 110m, for around 200m in profit going around. Taking into account China factor, bit weaker dbo, weaker home ent. than a 2008 release it does feel a bit low 100m but it depend on the above the line participation deal a lot, if Feige make 40m on a movie like this that eat at your bottom line, Reed, Rudd, etc...

I meant Justice League.   I think Variety had Solo down for a potential $100m loss

No one on AM is getting near the profit participation of Smith - not even combined.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Depends on how packed the race ends up being. Logan got in that category last year, but it's hard not to wonder if it was helped by how astoundingly dead that category was (seriously, what would've been the default winner in that line-up had Call Me by Your Name been an original screenplay?).

My guess is Mudbound would have edged out Molly's Game. But yes Logan only got in there due to lack of options. Shit the screenplay is the weakest part of that movie.