That One Girl

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE FALLOUT WEEKEND THREAD | 23 Friday...MM2 4.8...TT 4.25 EQ2 4.0

27 minutes ago, AJG said:

It’s a children’s cartoon based on children’s characters from comic books created for children.

The hate it gets is almost pathetic.

Lol if you've ever read any Teen Titans comics from 1980's onwards, you'd realize how inaccurate this statement truly is. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrPink said:

To be honest, I do worry that Cruise and co. can maintain the quality going forward, as it's hard to imagine at least on a spectacle level, Fallout being topped. So I'd be good with maybe one more and calling it or doing a big shakeup if they really intend to turn this into a franchise without end.

No sooner was this movie in the can and out the door that Tom turned to me and said, ‘Here’s what I want to do next.’ In fact, at the premiere in Paris that was the first time Tom and I sat down to watch the film together. The response from the audience was amazing and as the credits rolled and the audience was cheering, Tom turned to me and said, ‘Yeah, we can do better.’

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 3

1 hour ago, Rorschach said:

It’s more or else fans of the original Teen Titans that hate the series because they think it butchers the characters. I was never a fan of the original so I really had no emotional investment hating on a reboot aimed towards a younger demographic.

The only thing I dislike about it is that it seems to be the only show Cartoon Network ever airs anymore. No breathing room for other cartoons that could gauge people’s interests.

It's typical fanboy reactions to any sort of reboot, not to mention they're no longer the target audience. 

• Like 1

Ghost Protocol IIRC was make or break for the franchise as Paramount were willing to replace Cruise but I think the long gap between III and GP helped it as well as Cruise's image being rehabilitated thanks to Les Grossman and to a lesser extent Knight and Day.

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Ghost Protocol IIRC was make or break for the franchise as Paramount were willing to replace Cruise but I think the long gap between III and GP helped it as well as Cruise's image being rehabilitated thanks to Les Grossman and to a lesser extent Knight and Day.

Yeah, no offense to Hawkguy but Ghost Protocol is really when Cruise doing crazier stunts became the biggest draw and well, Hawkguy was never going to strap himself to an airplane taking off. 

The problem is that the quality of his projects dropped and people lost their confidence in him delivering good movies. When you serve them shit like Knight^Day, ROA, Oblivion, JR 2, The Mummy,  in a row, the audience sense he's not trustable in delivering good movies.

MI still does good because people have trust in him with this franchise. They know it's gonna be good, but the original projects he has done in the last decade sucked. When he was young he could sell a cocktail and people would flock to it because his audience was young and they are not as discernable in their taste, but his audience grew up and they want quality. so yeah

Edited by Alli

11 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

How much better would MI movies be doing if Tom Cruise skipped out on the whole couch jumping and Scientologist stuff? 

It is a 22-year movie series still going strong (without reboot). Hard to see how much better it could be doing in 2018.

(Actually it is a bit amazing that the Scientology stuff and the ugliest related rumors haven't killed Cruise's career entirely post-Weinstein, but that is another - off topic - discussion entirely)

• Like 1

He probably wants to squeeze in as much action as possible before his age makes it too difficult but he really should sprinkle in a prestige movie in between his blockbusters. He used to work with fantastic directors all the time and maybe his personal life/scientology factor makes that more difficult now. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It is a 22-year movie series still going strong (without reboot). Hard to see how much better it could be doing in 2018.

(Actually it is a bit amazing that the Scientology stuff and the ugliest related rumors haven't killed Cruise's career entirely post-Weinstein, but that is another - off topic - discussion entirely)

I think it'd be performing a bit more like the Fast franchise minus Furious 7 domestically. There's not too much separation there. 

16 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Yeah, no offense to Hawkguy but Ghost Protocol is really when Cruise doing crazier stunts became the biggest draw and well, Hawkguy was never going to strap himself to an airplane taking off. 

Man broke his arms for TAG of all things, I don't think it's fair to write him off just yet.

29 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

How much better would MI movies be doing if Tom Cruise skipped out on the whole couch jumping and Scientologist stuff? 

has Oprah had him on recently for any of the M:I premiers?  Is he still doing television-talk show circuits?

Edited by dmatrixfilm1715

Cruise is fine. With him at the helm of the M:I series it will be a money maker so long the quality stays high (and at this point, is there any reason to doubt that?). Good to remind everyone that he has made 4 of the most well-regarded action movies of the past decade the last 7 years. Pretty damn good rate, even if 3 of them are in the same franchise.

He should go back to working with interesting directors again instead of chasing that next franchise. He can't really open a massive movie by himself anymore, but no one really can in this day and age.

6 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

He probably wants to squeeze in as much action as possible before his age makes it too difficult but he really should sprinkle in a prestige movie in between his blockbusters. He used to work with fantastic directors all the time and maybe his personal life/scientology factor makes that more difficult now. 

I think as others have mentioned, he'll start to do more prestige roles once he hits his 60s. I would love to see him do another film with Spielberg, whether that's an action film or a prestige film.