That One Girl

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE FALLOUT WEEKEND THREAD | 23 Friday...MM2 4.8...TT 4.25 EQ2 4.0

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Mostly fans of the series on Cartoon. It also has many haters, though. 

I've never got the hate for TTG! it's clearly a comedic take. I remember people hating on Batman The Brave and the Bold when it first was announced and it turned out to be really good. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I've never got the hate for TTG! it's clearly a comedic take. I remember people hating on Batman The Brave and the Bold when it first was announced and it turned out to be really good. 

The Brave and The Bold is easily the second best Batman ever after TAS - heck maybe the best (and I'm not just talking animated)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The Brave and The Bold is easily the second best Batman ever after TAS - heck maybe the best (and I'm not just talking animated)

Absolutely agree...I loved The Brave and The Bold and wish it would get brought back for more seasons...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alli said:

how is the sunday drop for Mi-F? Is it sustainable or will the weekend numbers drop with actuals?

Seems pretty spot on to me, maybe just a touch high. Actuals should match closely if not go up a bit if WOM really kicks in.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

No love for The Batman. Shame on y’all.

Good opening for Mission: Impossible. It would have been nice to see the weekend number go higher, but it landed just about in line with the adjusted opening of the previous film. Between awesome reviews, strong word-of-mouth, and the weak August slate, it should hang around for some time and top $200 million domestically. With Rogue Nation's multiplier, it would be in line to finally knock Mission: Impossible II off as the (unadjusted) top-grossing installment domestically.

Mamma Mia! had a surprisingly harsh drop; for comparison, the first film dropped just 36% in its second weekend and topped the second weekend's gross without adjustment. But with how strong weekday business has been (Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were all ahead of the Friday gross this week), it still won't have any problem racing past $100 million. The first film had crazy-strong legs that kept getting more impressive as its run progressed, so the possibility that this film could also stabilize and post strong holds from here on out is not out of the question.

The Equalizer 2 got demolished in the face of Mission: Impossible. It's almost dead-even with the first film's gross through the same point, so it will need major assistance from weekday business to squeak over $100 million.

Hotel Transylvania 3 continues to balance out ho-hum weekend holds with strong weekdays. I'm still seeing it finish midway between the final grosses of its predecessors, though it could still go higher and challenge the second film's gross if it follows in the late-leg footsteps of rival studio Illumination's last two big summer films.

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies did okay. With its close connection to the TV show and the lack of advertising aimed at audiences outside of that demographic (unlike, say, the significantly more expensive Lego Batman Movie), it was always going to be a modest performer with a niche audience. It also performed far, far better than fellow Cartoon Network big screen adaptation The Powerpuff Girls Movie sixteen years ago.

Ant-Man and the Wasp continues to chug toward $200 million. Ditto for Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World (which has developed surprisingly strong staying power after hefty drops in its second and third weekends) as they approach 600 and 400, respectively.

Good grief at that Black Panther number. It's so agonizingly close to $700 million, but it simply doesn't have enough gas in the tank under the current plan. I'll bet that Disney will pair it with a re-release for either Incredibles or Ant-Man at the end of the summer, where even a bad weekend in saturated release should be enough to drag it past 700.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

It’s more or else fans of the original Teen Titans that hate the series because they think it butchers the characters. I was never a fan of the original so I really had no emotional investment hating on a reboot aimed towards a younger demographic.

The only thing I dislike about it is that it seems to be the only show Cartoon Network ever airs anymore. No breathing room for other cartoons that could gauge people’s interests.

Remember that great quote from The Incredibles about celebrating mediocrity? 

Image result for the incredibles mediocrity quote

That's what Eigth Grade is about: the celebration of a mediocre and downright awful girl. Hopefully it struggles to make more than $10M. We don't need heroines like her to be celebrated or, God forbid, to represent a generation. 

@That One Guy

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

That's what Eigth Grade is about: the celebration of a mediocre and downright awful girl. Hopefully it struggles to make more than $10M. We don't need heroines like her to be celebrated or, God forbid, to represent a generation. 

@That One Guy

K

7 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

@That One Guy

Cool.  Excited to see it with a likely sold out audience in an hour.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Disbelief 1

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

These subscription plans will never work unless they give real unlimited access to the user. Theater chains are handing a lot of money to Netflix. Netflix last reported 57 million subscribers in the US, that's close to $7 billion a year, to watch old movies. Domestic box office was $11 billion in 2017. Can't wait for Netflix to beat it.

And HBO has 142m subscriber around the world.....

in 2013, Tv from cable subscription alone was a 100 billion in revenues in the United states, it is not like box office was close to TV since TV became popular.

Netflix is much more competition to traditional TV (and still a very small player there) than box office normally, every innovation post the 50s  since television destroyed cinema attendance didn't seem to have much effect on cinema attendance, hard to even see when did VHS or dvd became popular looking at this:

atlas_SyRgEzVO.png

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

They sell TONS of merchandise though.  In 2013 Pooh was Disney's #3 seller behind the Princesses and Star Wars.   The movies help to refresh the brand 

Were they counting Marvel merchandise as non-Disney ? Because that impressive.

13 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

@That One Guy

Did incredibles man just sum up America's reaction to the MCU?

• Haha 5
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

It’s a children’s cartoon based on children’s characters from comic books created for children.

The hate it gets is almost pathetic.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Barnack said:

And HBO has 142m subscriber around the world.....

in 2013, Tv from cable subscription alone was a 100 billion in revenues in the United states, it is not like box office was close to TV since TV became popular.

When it comes to Netflix everyone is focused on revenue alone and not that they have very negative cash flow and a ton of debt.  

Meanwhile movies in cinema release are gauged on profitability.

The Netflix experiment is not over.  You may think they can turn a switch and start making money by raising prices/reducing costs at some point and maybe they can and they become wildly profitable BUT at this time they are not.  Interest rates are rising and their debt payments are getting bigger.  We'll see.  

If theaters were afforded the same benefit of the doubt (by the stock market) that they allowed theaters to lose a ton of money to just grow users then they could price subscription fees very low and grow users quickly.  Unfortunately if investors don't buy in to your longterm vision and want to see profitability now then it really doesn't matter how happy moviegoers are 

3 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

If theaters were afforded the same benefit of the doubt (by the stock market) that they allowed theaters to lose a ton of money to just grow users then they could price subscription fees very low and grow users quickly. Unfortunately if investors don't buy in to your longterm vision and want to see profitability now then it really doesn't matter how happy moviegoers are 

Well Netflix is independent, major studios are not (and there are fewer and fewer of them).

Edited by MrGlass2

4 hours ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Mission Impossible movies are performing well, but they have to keep the budgets under control. 

I mean, you can't keep increasing the budget and then performing like previous movies ( with smaller budgets ). Oh, and Cruise will probably have less control around his "stunts". Producers won't be happy to keep delaying productions for months ( and inflating the budgets ) just because the star wants to show it's really him performing the moves. That'll definitely change, I think.

They seem to be doing that very well since MI-3 debacle no ? They are probably in reality much cheaper the last 3 than the third one released in 2006, unadjusted.

They are sold so much if not completely on spectacle and nice location/production, that they will need to up it a little bit.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1