That One Girl

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE FALLOUT WEEKEND THREAD | 23 Friday...MM2 4.8...TT 4.25 EQ2 4.0

Just now, Jonwo said:

I think as others have mentioned, he'll start to do more prestige roles once he hits his 60s. I would love to see him do another film with Spielberg, whether that's an action film or a prestige film. 

He might fit in well as the main action point with a Ready Player One sequel, if they make it in 10-20 years.  

I think the Mission: Impossible franchise's massive drop in attendance from the first sequel to the others coincides with the general diminishing of star power that began to settle in by the mid-2000s or thereabouts. Tom Cruise's public outbursts hurt it, sure, but it probably wouldn't have done substantially better even without them. (Bear in mind that the infamous Oprah appearance happened before War of the Worlds opened in 2005.) The Mission: Impossible franchise had been away for a while and the blockbuster scene had shifted noticeably and significantly (not to mention quickly) to fan-driven franchises as opposed to massively-hyped star vehicles. Hell, even in 2001, the summer movie landscape was much different than it was when Mission: Impossible II launched just a year earlier.

Edited by Webslinger

13 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I think it'd be performing a bit more like the Fast franchise minus Furious 7 domestically. There's not too much separation there. 

Well F&F is a box office phenomenon, a series that exploded after the fifth movie. Hard to argue that MI should have performed as amazingly well over time (and it did start 5 years earlier), or blame the "deficit" on Cruise's antics.

Just get The Rock in the next MI.

Edited by MrGlass2

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think as others have mentioned, he'll start to do more prestige roles once he hits his 60s.

people have been saying that for years and it hasn't happened yet. still action after action film. next year he's gonna be 57 and he has another action film. i don't wanna sound morbid, but his dad died young. so yeah

5 minutes ago, Alli said:

people have been saying that for years and it hasn't happened yet. still action after action film. next year he's gonna be 57 and he has another action film. i don't wanna sound morbid, but his dad died young. so yeah

Cruise has done the odd non action film, Rock of Ages while a bomb was a real departure for him and American Made, which while was it had stunts, wasn't an action film and to me was his best role in a while.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Well F&F is a box office phenomenon, a series that exploded after the fifth movie. Hard to argue that MI should have performed as amazingly well over time (and it did start 5 years earlier), or blame the "deficit" on Cruise's antics.

Just get The Rock in the next MI.

I mean I'm saying the average MI might be doing around 225 million domestically like the Fast Movies averaged between 5, 6, and 8. 

Which isn't that much different than what MI has done post couch antics. Ignore 3 because the fallout hadn't settled.

Edited by MrPink
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Alli said:

I liked AM and his performance, but the character was another maverick. i want him to play a normal human being.

I dunno if I can believe Tom Cruise as a normal human being.

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Were they counting Marvel merchandise as non-Disney ? Because that impressive.

Yes, though they broke down Marvel by character/teams.  Mickey Mouse was 4th and Spider-Man was 16th (he was doing about 1 Billion in sales a year).  For 2012 Pooh sales were $5.5 BILLION

In the midst of a 2003 battle where Disney stood to lose commercial rights to Winnie the Pooh, The Daily Telegraph noted "Losing control of the Winnie the Pooh franchise would be a disaster for Disney. Analysts believe Pooh is worth $3bn-$6bn of Disney's total annual sales of $25bn."[2] 

According to a 2013 Variety article, Winnie the Pooh is the third best-selling franchise in the world, after Disney's own Disney Princess and Star Wars.[3] The New York Times said "The stakes are high for Disney. Global sales of Pooh merchandise — books, plush toys, T-shirts, potty chairs — have fallen 12% over the last five years, but still account for a staggering $5.5 billion", adding "Pooh...remains Disney’s second best-selling character after Mickey Mouse".

It noted "Branding experts say aging character franchises are among the most difficult to keep alive because they require continually walking a tightrope. 'With Winnie the Pooh, Disney is going to continue to struggle with the tension of remaining relevant to kids versus maintaining a love-mark brand that parents trust,' said Matt Britton, a founder of Mr. Youth, a New York marketing firm."[4]

In a 2014 overview of Disney's top franchises, CNN wrote "Pooh may have been born in the 1920s in A.A. Milne's books. But the bear is still going strong via Disney movies and DVD's. Pooh Bear sells games, stuffed animals, clothing, and even iPhone and iPad apps. Pooh is also a favorite subject in books from Disney Publishing Worldwide, the world's largest publisher of children's books and magazines with more than 700 million products sold each year".[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnie_the_Pooh_(franchise)

• Like 1

He played too many larger than life characters. that's one of the reasons people don't buy him in a normal person role.

again, i'll compare to Depp...who has this problem too, altho much more pronounced. he played too many wacky characters and the audience has a hard time seeing him as a normal character

Edited by Alli

Book Club's weekend estimate #

2018/07/27 - $75,000 -56% 145 $517   $68,406,773 11

Adrift looks to be at the end of its run by this decline.

Could make another 20k in weekdays, but I don't think further expansion will get it past 100k more.

ADRIFT

Date Rank Gross % Change Theaters Per Theater Total Gross Week
2018/06/01 3 $11,603,039   3,015 $3,848   $11,603,039 1
2018/06/08 6 $5,272,040 -55% 3,015 $1,749   $21,962,065 2
2018/06/15 9 $2,200,333 -58% 1,929 $1,141   $26,905,478 3
2018/06/22 14 $787,929 -64% 871 $905   $29,090,864 4
2018/06/29 16 $538,376 -32% 508 $1,060   $30,153,227 5
2018/07/06 23 $287,966 -47% 323 $892   $30,838,250 6
2018/07/13 25 $181,007 -37% 185 $978   $31,174,946 7
2018/07/20 33 $74,912 -59% 131 $572   $31,345,663 8
2018/07/27 - $30,000 -60% 75 $400   $31,415,713 9

3 hours ago, La Binoche said:

Remember that great quote from The Incredibles about celebrating mediocrity? 

Image result for the incredibles mediocrity quote

That's what Eigth Grade is about: the celebration of a mediocre and downright awful girl. Hopefully it struggles to make more than $10M. We don't need heroines like her to be celebrated or, God forbid, to represent a generation. 

@That One Guy

Brad Bird believes in dangerous things.

The villain monologue in I2 is obviously exactly how he thinks and view the world.