CJohn

Official Oct 5 to Oct 7 Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Venom - 80M (205M WW OW); A Star is Born - 42.6M

Just now, Valonqar said:

Venom is the first movie whose huge OW was fueled by marketing that basically said "this is a turd and you should totally see it". :bravo:

it's quite impressive. even the cast/director were doing interviews where they just stopped short of saying "it would be in your best interest to not see this movie". hey, it's an angle!

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

it's quite impressive. even the cast/director were doing interviews where they just stopped short of saying "it would be in your best interest to not see this movie". hey, it's an angle!

The press tour was glorious. From Tom Hardy saying all his favorite stuff was cut to Michelle Williams saying she did it for the paycheck. Amazing stuff.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

‘Venom’ Easily Scoring Best October Opening Ever With $65M+; ‘A Star Is Born’ Drawing $41M In Crowds

https://deadline.com/2018/10/venom-a-star-is-born-weekend-box-office-lady-gaga-1202476614/

I was hoping for more from both but it is still early.

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

if a movie is meant to please the audience, then critical reaction should spark 

Venom is kinda bad but it's a fun bad, which is arguably harder to pull off than making a good movie. Plus Tom Hardy is an outstanding Eddie.

I think anyone who's seen the post credits scene should be rooting for a sequel here because if they don't give me more of that nonsense I'm gonna be mad as hell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

Venom is kinda bad but it's a fun bad, which is arguably harder to pull off than making a good movie. Plus Tom Hardy is an outstanding Eddie.

I think anyone who's seen the post credits scene should be rooting for a sequel here because if they don't give me more of that nonsense I'm gonna be mad as hell.

This is why we need a 70M OW. Go see the movie people.

• Like 4

Venom audience scores

5.7 - Metacritic - 136 votes

88% - Rotten Tomatoes - 8,767 votes

7.1 - IMDB - 15,026 votes

Ant-Man 2 audience scores

7.4 - Metacritic - 393 votes

80% - Rotten Tomatoes - 19,078 votes

7.3 - IMDB - 105,698

Edited by dtairdryZid

Just got back from Venom, I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed it, considering the reviews.

Make no mistake, the movie is far from perfect, no one is going to mistake it for Infinity War or Logan, but I'll be damned if I didn't come out of that theater having had a good time with a smile on my face. Suffice it to say, it was far more enjoyable than my last theater experience, which was The Predator (a low bar, I know).

A fun movie with a memorable performance from Tom Hardy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1