CJohn

Official Oct 5 to Oct 7 Weekend Thread | Official Estimates: Venom - 80M (205M WW OW); A Star is Born - 42.6M

8 hours ago, dtairdryZid said:

Venom audience scores

Metacritic audience score at 5.5 w/ 19 votes

7.1 - IMBD

89% - Rotten Tomatoes

6 hours ago, AJG said:

Honestly I dismiss the Rotten Tomatoes audience score nowadays. 

Bot campaigns to lower scores, the score count starting from the "want to see score", studios using bots to post fake reviews (Gotti and Jigsaw).

The thing is too flawed.

Venom audience scores

5.7 - Metacritic - 136 votes

88% - Rotten Tomatoes - 8,767 votes

7.1 - IMDB - 15,026 votes

Solo audience scores

6.2 - Metacritic - 975 votes

64% - Rotten Tomatoes - 37,316

7.0 - IMDB - 150,473

Star is Born audience scores

9.3 - Metacritic - 154 votes …. poor Metacritic =(

85% - Rotten Tomatoes - 4,002

8.6 - IMDB - 12,113

Edited by dtairdryZid

21 minutes ago, DAJK said:

If I end up actually liking Venom a lot I might agree with this slightly more than just jokingly. Idk, critics have become a bit too easily pleased with the MCU (Ant Man 2 was a 6/10 at best, don't get the such high ratings) but you know, to each their own. 

You probably will end up liking Venom. But liking/enjoying and having more fun watching Venom vs. Ant-Man 2 =/= Venom is a well made movie that critics should recommend. Venom was sold as something else, it just happens to be that the final product is so ridiculous that it’s entertaining to watch. It’s funny! That’s great, but wasn’t what was advertised, hence critics repeatedly saying it was unintentionally funny. It was sold as a CBM with elements of horror/thriller. It’s great that people are having fun watching it, but critics aren’t obligated to recommend a movie they see as uneven (with varying tones, a very weak 1st act and a rushed 3rd act), and largely bland outside the main characters’ performance and some comedic scenes. Doesn’t mean it’s not fun. Plus, you can either go along with the unexpected zaniness or it irritates you. It irritated a lot of people. 

You can continue to believe what you want though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Yeah, but this example of yours doesnt strenghten your argument at all, its way too obvious; You have one of the laziest movies of all time and then you have a film that won 11 Oscars. Well, duh.

Ant-Man 2 and Venom are much closer in critical recepion than those two. I for example found Ant-Man 2 fun, but extremely forgettable. Venom might be a disaster, but it looks hilarious. Both films are very close in entertainment value in my book.

Maybe, but then you're entertained by Jurassic World 1 & 2

:ph34r:

• Thanks 1

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Maybe, but then you're entertained by Jurassic World 1 & 2

:ph34r:

Hey, i never said that my opinion is better or worse than anyones else :lol:  But this Emoji Movie/RotK comparison was crazy.

Spoiler

Jurassic World is a fucking masterpiece.

• Haha 2

The reality is that critics don't just recommend a movie based on whether they had fun with it or if they found it entertaining. There are certain elements that a critic looks for in a movie including things like plot development, character development, tone, action sequences (if they apply), dialogue amongst other things. 

Ant-man 2 and Venom may very well provide a similar entertainment value. Heck the majority of CBM and I would say movies in general (imo at least) provide entertainment. That's why we watch them. That doesn't mean that every movie is a well made movie and thus deserves recommendation. For a critic, an entertaining movie isn't enough to warrant a recommendation or a must watch. I haven't seen Venom. I don't know if I will either so I can't compare it to Ant-Man 2. But as an example of poorly a reviewed CBM in Suicide Squad. Sure it was entertaining. But was it a well made film? No. Ant-Man 2 was entertaining as well but it was also well made. Theres the difference between the critical reception of a film like Suicide Squad and Ant-Man 2. Not whether it provides entertainment value but whether it had certain aspects of quality film making. 

Having said that, if someone likes a certain film more than another (venom over ant-man 2), then that's their opinion and they are more than welcome to have it just like everyone else. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2