Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

3 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Mixed?

2 hours ago, cmbbox2390 said:

How is this mixed at all? Very positive.

[DON'T EXPLAIN THE JOKE MODE = OFF]

It's a meme on this board, and a long standing one, that whenever a highly anticipated film gets less than universal stellar reactions and/or slightly slightly slightly less than expected reviews, that some here will call the reactions mixed.

Usually posted with this gif:

SilverHatefulHarrier-size_restricted.gif

It's a sarcastic response to folks flipping out over lack of stellar OMG BEST FILM EVAR reviews, as popularized by @aabattery.

Fell out of use slightly thanks to COVID shutting down movies for a while, but I personally blame aa for not posting as much as they should. :sadno:

But it is in fact a joke.  Which we still tend to do around here, even if we aren't quite as anarchistic as we once were in our board's youth.

[DON'T EXPLAIN THE JOKE MODE = ON]

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Still with my 72-82% on RT .

i want to be careful 

Seems fair

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

It's a meme on this board, and a long standing one, that whenever a highly anticipated film gets less than stellar reactions and/or slightly slightly slightly less than expected reviews, that some here will call the reactions mixed.

Usually posted with this gif:

SilverHatefulHarrier-size_restricted.gif

It's a sarcastic response to folks flipping out over lack of stellar OMG BEST FILM EVAR reviews, as popularized by @aabattery.

Fell out of use slightly thanks to COVID shutting down movies for a while, but I personally blame aa for not posting as much as they should. :sadno:

But it is in fact a joke.  Which we still tend to do around here, even if we aren't quite as anarchistic as we once were in our board's youth.

Is it joke? feel like there are enough "its ok" reactions in this first batch to assume mixed reception might be possible 

23 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

Is it joke? feel like there are enough "its ok" reactions in this first batch to assume mixed reception might be possible 

At the moment? Yes, I do think so.  If I had to guess, I'd be pegging a mid- to low-80s RT and not a mid-60s one, which is where my bar for an actual-honest-to-goodness mixed review range would be.  Even mid 70s doesn't reach the level of "mixed reviews" for me. One's mileage may vary, naturally.

Could pull an Eternals where the RT score was much lower than indicated from premiere reactions, sure.  But at the moment, no actually calling the reactions "mixed" does a disservice to the present reactions coming out of the premiere.

Or, to put it another way, if these reactions are "mixed" then damn near every film's reactions are "mixed", which dilutes the meaning of the term.

Are there some... I don't want to call them 'red flags' as 1] it's a loaded term and 2] fans can be jumpy so I'll use 'cautionary comments' coming out of the premiere?  I'd say that's fair.  But all that might mean is that it isn't getting NWH BP level reviews.  Probably.

Everything else is tea leaf reading. Which I suppose is part of trying to figure out the buzz, but tea leaf reading is still all it is.

Edited by Porthos
Thought NWH had a higher RT score, so I swapped in BP instead — which is prob more on point, anyway

4 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

After the critics reactions today I think the floor for reviews will be NWH.

*double checks NWH's RT score*

*sees it's 93 | 7.9/10*

Huh.  Thought it was in the high 90s. My bad, Okay, strike my comment about this not getting to that, as I could see it (in fact, I'll go edit my post and just put in BP1 instead of NWH).  But I don't know if I'd characterize it as the floor as there does seem to be some folks who this isn't landing with. 

At the same time a low 90s RT score, or even mid 90s, wouldn't surprise me.  But I probably want some more reactions before really solidifying that thought.

I was slightly worried after the premiere but since some more "serious" critics have given it pretty enthusiastic praise today, I think it will be in low-90s RT, low-mid 70s on MC which is the norm for very well-received MCU movies. BP1 is of course unmatchable. Since some are having issues with the pacing, I could see it going lower, but I think it'll end up similar to something like SC where that one criticism (for SC it was the third act) won't ruin the movie for most. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1