Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

I feel like this is going to be like the opposite of the last couple Disney Marvel movies. Most bits of pre-release news for those movies sounded good and they ended up worse than expected while I feel like it's going to be the other way round for this. Seems to easily have the most troubled production out of any of these films since like AoU rn, but I feel like Coogler delivers a hit honestly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

I feel like this is going to be like the opposite of the last couple Disney Marvel movies. Most bits of pre-release news for those movies sounded good and they ended up worse than expected while I feel like it's going to be the other way round for this. Seems to easily have the most troubled production out of any of these films since like AoU rn, but I feel like Coogler delivers a hit honestly.

If Coogler pulls this movie off, just give him the keys to the kingdom tbh

Yeah, it would be bummer if he spent another decade of his prime on this stuff but he's a proven Hollywood director and this seems like a very important MCU film. If he can make magic happen out of a troubled production..

I don't necessarily buy the leak, but it is HELLA vague and general with absolutely no context. You can write an equivalent description to any movie and it will sound equally bad. Let's see what happens and, IF true, let's see what happens between the lines.

This movie does stand the risk of going from cultural, character, world building, societal issue breakthrough to overly comic book. That will turn critics and fans against it in a heartbeat. Let's hope they didn't go that route.

5 minutes ago, jedijake said:

I don't necessarily buy the leak, but it is HELLA vague and general with absolutely no context. You can write an equivalent description to any movie and it will sound equally bad. Let's see what happens and, IF true, let's see what happens between the lines.

This movie does stand the risk of going from cultural, character, world building, societal issue breakthrough to overly comic book. That will turn critics and fans against it in a heartbeat. Let's hope they didn't go that route.

Very much agreed with your second paragraph. I am much more concerned about this than any specific plot beats (which often will play differently on screen than on page). Especially since Phase 4 so far has not been really strong with the worldbuilding. I just really hope that Atlantis/Namor are written well and generate a powerful story like Killmonger in the first movie, rather than just feeling like bloat and setup for future movies.

6 minutes ago, p a p i said:

To early to freak out at mere plot points without any details and context. 

While I agree it's too early to freak out or cheer, there's context. The story and beats have a flow and they make sense given the circumstance of having to change the lead. That said, we are not supposed to discuss leaks here so I'll leave it at that. 

@Menor Reborn No leak ever talks about world-building so there's nothing to worry about in that regard. Leaks always  just go from A to B, big moment, big twist, the end. 

Edited by Valonqar

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

While I agree it's too early to freak out or cheer, there's context. The story and beats have a flow and they make sense given the circumstance of having to change the lead. That said, we are not supposed to discuss leaks here so I'll leave it at that. 

@Menor Reborn No leak ever talks about world-building so there's nothing to worry about in that regard. Leaks always  just go from A to B, big moment, big twist, the end. 

I am not speaking in reference to leaks, just that it's one of my biggest worries about the premise chosen for this movie.

31 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Very much agreed with your second paragraph. I am much more concerned about this than any specific plot beats (which often will play differently on screen than on page). Especially since Phase 4 so far has not been really strong with the worldbuilding. I just really hope that Atlantis/Namor are written well and generate a powerful story like Killmonger in the first movie, rather than just feeling like bloat and setup for future movies.

The thing that made KM work is that he was an ordinary person with circumstantial issues. Yeah he was a supersoldier, but those exist. It was the situation within Wakanda that made him a supervillain.  All of the mythology was created within Wakanda itself.

To me, Black Panther was more than a comic book movie. I didn't know about the character until Civil War because I am not a comic book fan. The movie stood on its own two feet within its own universe and could work as any movie. It was a fun movie but also took the themes and aesthetics seriously. I have faith in the fact that Coogler cares enough to do it again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Yep. is it OK to PM to discuss? Judging by reactions on reddit, this will be divisive in fandom. They should have recast. 

I know you have this whole "I don't care about getting spoiled thing" but will it not be better to not actually discuss the thing in PM if you so want to.

Why mention anything like recast, divisive whatever in public thread.

10 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Multiverse of Madness had a pretty troubled production as well. 

6 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I know you have this whole "I don't care about getting spoiled thing" but will it not be better to not actually discuss the thing in PM if you so want to.

Why mention anything like recast, divisive whatever in public thread.

I think Spoilers only applies to plot details about a movie.

Thinks like recasting,etc are 100% legit in this thread.