aabattery

Weekend Thread | Asgard sneaks up on p.24 ~ H2018 28, ASIB 8.1, V 7.9 GB2 4.4,FM 3.7

32 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

You mean 200m+ WW, right??

In any case, WAG just can't catch a break with their original animations. Even the good ones fail to make a big dent at the WW BO. They still have a long way to go to catch up with the likes of SPA/DWA.

Yeah, especially WAG's os is not good. The opposite of Uni/Illumination. If dom is 80+ then ww sturggling to hit 200 is frustrating for a movie with good reception.

• Sad 1

It's interesting that Halloween is doing okay business in comparison to the huge OW it had in the US. 

2 minutes ago, a2k said:

Yeah, especially WAG's os is not good. The opposite of Uni/Illumination. If dom is 80+ then ww sturggling to hit 200 is frustrating for a movie with good reception.

I think Smallfoot will be seen as a step in the right direction, the fact it's going to do better business than Storks and Ninjago. OS seems to be doing okay considering it's facing Johnny English OS

WAG's next few movies are adaptations or IP based which should help them in the short term, Scooby Doo probably will do strong business for them for example 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's interesting that Halloween is doing okay business in comparison to the huge OW it had in the US. 

I think it's just a case where the original Halloween films are more popular and more beloved in the US, so some overseas markets aren't going to care about Curtis returning, or the 40-year anniversary or whatever. It's just any other slasher to them.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

venom should go over justice league.

210 dom + 345 os-china-japan (290.7+32.3*1.7) + 95 china + 15 japan = 665 ww

china could do 110-120 in which case 700 would be on table.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

just got back from halloween. it's ok. michael myers doing his thing after 40 years can't hate the commitment to the game. i like a big movie that finally gives judy greer something to do.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Knock It Off 1

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

just got back from halloween. it's ok. michael myers doing his thing after 40 years can't hate the commitment to the game. i like a big movie that finally gives judy greer something to do.

Her big moment got cheers from my crowd yesterday.

$0.5m debut in Mexico for Halloween? Aren't horror movies very popular in Latin America? Looks like it won't be as successful overseas as it's going to be domestic (not that it needs it anyway).

Here in Brazil, Freddy, Jason, Chucky seemed to be way more popular than Michael Myers, at least for my generation. Not to mention the 90s slasher hits I Know What You Did Last Summer and Scream, also seemed more popular than Halloween.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

You had it on Friday and Saturday, I figure you'd know the taste yourself :redcapes:

Unlike you we can handle both movies doing well even if we didn’t keep the record which you people and the media hyped to be something bigger than it was. We look at the bigger picture and that record means nothing compared to the worldwide reception we got.

Well since my reaction meme wouldn’t work. Very good start to a pretty good horror movie!

Halloween should do anywhere from $155-$175 million domestic(although I wouldn’t be surprised if it does higher) While everyone else noting that it’s the 2nd besthorror debut, slasher record, Blumhouse record, and franchise record, it should also be cool to note that for Universal Halloween’s debut is on their top 12 best debuts! Right in between the Despicable Me sequels. So overall one of the best debuts to this year in my opinion 

Star is born is still playing strong and should play strong until the big heat of the holiday season bloodbath. 

venom is doing very good, as $200 million is possible.

Goosebumps 2 is still alive, and should make $40-$45 million total. 

First Man was slightly beat up, Universal is making it’s money back from the little loss this gets with Halloween and their other mid-range hits. So $45 million is likely.

The Hate You Give did decent in expansion as it’s limited release was meh. But could play sucessful for the next few weeks

Smallfoot is a leggy wonder for the kiddies. With lack of family movies until November 9, Smallfoot should play well and $80 million could be on the table.

Night School playing strong as well, as this maybe the most sucessful comedy of the year and should make $75 million total.

El Royale dropped typical. So Netflix should save it’s fate in digital and home video.

Old Man & His Gun fared alright for its expansion. The film’s ads looked fun. It should be interesting how much more it does in the next few weeks.

overall, the top 12 was up a massive 96% increase from last year when Boo 2! A Madea Halloween led a lackluster pack of five underwhelming new releases with $21.2 million and finished with $47.3 million making it the lowest grossing Madea film ever! 

Overall 2018, as a year is still at a record pace as it’s 11.0% ahead of last year! And October 2018 is now still slated to beat 2014’s record! It all depends on next weekend if Halloween can bring in $30+ million it’s second weekend and holdovers Can continue to play strong, since the new releases look quite lackluster as Hunter Killer should do between $5-$7 million and Johnny English 3 should do $2-$3 million.

Edited by Maxmoser3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, VENOM said:

Unlike you we can handle both movies doing well even if we didn’t keep the record which you people and the media hyped to be something bigger than it was. We look at the bigger picture and that record means nothing compared to the worldwide reception we got.

Well, apart from the fact that the success of one of those movies means the continuation and heavy emphasis from Sony's part on a stupid Spider-Man villains without Spider-Man cinematic universe, newsflash, son: I have no problems with both doing very well either :rofl:  If anything, I'm glad, I love the fact that October's box office has gained Summer-levels of life for the 1st time ever(?). That was a meme, a JOKE. Seems to me like the bitterness comes from your side.

• Like 2

Halloween had an awesome opening, even if it landed just a bit short of the recently-established October opening record (though it does look like Universal is going pretty conservative with their estimate for today, so the record may still be in play with actuals). Universal got every step of the marketing right and delivered a movie that capitalized on viewers' recognition and appreciation of the original film while also appealing to a younger horror crowd that may never have seen it. With strong word-of-mouth and its namesake holiday still yet to come, it should be in line for another big weekend next time out.

A Star Is Born had another terrific hold. Its prospects of surpassing $200 million still look good, especially with another weekend without meaningful competition coming up.

Venom stabilized a bit after last weekend's big drop. Like other PG-13 films in the marketplace, I do wonder how much sneak-in business for Halloween might have helped. Either way, it's still all set to top the $200 million milestone domestically and should be able to target something around $210 million.

Goosebumps 2 dropped just a bit harder than its predecessor, but it still held up nicely. Next weekend should have another strong hold in store with no competition and the Halloween date drawing nearer.

First Man had a pretty underwhelming hold in the face of such strong reviews. I guess it's just not connecting with audiences as anticipated, and strong breakout performances from other films in the marketplace have shrunk the potential audience too. It's probably looking at a disappointing total in the realm of $45-50 million.

The Hate U Give did okay in its wide expansion. I've heard enough about it offline that I'm surprised it's not a way bigger deal, but oh well. The A+ CinemaScore carried fellow well-received YA adaptation Love, Simon to strong legs in the spring, so hopefully that will be the case here too.

Smallfoot and Night School both put up strong holds. The former should leg its way out over $80 million, while the latter should be in line for something in the high-70s.

Bad Times at the El Royale saw a predictably large drop. It should fare much better on home video (like many other Tarantino-inspired films that don't find much of an audience in theaters), but it was screwed up against Venom, A Star Is Born, and now Halloween.

The Old Man & the Gun played decently in its nationwide expansion, though its potential will be limited without much awards heat surrounding it.

Yikes at that Sisters Brothers number. I had no idea that it was expanding so wide until the Friday estimate came in, and I guess the same was true for a good many other potential viewers. Another troubling loss for Annapurna, I guess.

Mid'90s played well in platform release and should manage an okay performance when it goes wider next weekend.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

I think it's just a case where the original Halloween films are more popular and more beloved in the US, so some overseas markets aren't going to care about Curtis returning, or the 40-year anniversary or whatever. It's just any other slasher to them.

True, not every horror film can perform like The Nun or IT. I imagine Universal will be fine if it does $80-100m OS