YM!

Weekend Thread 11/16 - 11/18 - Grindelwald $25.7M Friday, Instant Family at $4.5M Friday

Guys, I have figured out why Venom is so huge in China, besides good wom, obviously. I've timestamped y'all a snippet from Dan Murrell's box office show - the only box office show on YouTube worth a fucking damn btw - to give you a hint of how Venom was marketed over there (the snippet starts when you click play and it goes until past the 18th minute):

This is some fucking Deadpool shit right here. Where the hell was this marketing everywhere else on the world? Venom would have destroyed 100M OW with this kind of marketing.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Premium George said:

"IT" performance becomes more and more impressive. Humongous ow with decent legs and good OS performance. 

Yep, I always saw IT's legs as good for what it was. The opening was so massive that it could have easily been mega front loaded and only had a 2.1 multi. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder what Warner Bros will do about Fantastic Beasts 3. My guess is that they takes control and bring in a new director and a new screenwriter. 

Rowling will be a screenwriter. Her ideas and writing are not the problem. But she needs another screenwriter to help out the plotting. 

And a new director...I don't know. Yates is already confirmed. I feel he's staying for the third but might not be the one to finish the fourth and fifth.

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder what Warner Bros will do about Fantastic Beasts 3. My guess is that they takes control and bring in a new director and a new screenwriter. 

Really can't see them taking control of anything from Rowling that she isn't willing to give.  In the long run they need her far more than she needs them.  It would behoove her though to partner with a good screenwriter b/c her scripts are too expository heavy and unwieldy.  They're novels squished into movie format instead of actual screenplays.

Edited by TalismanRing

Just now, Noctis said:

Rowling will be a screenwriter. Her ideas and writing are not the problem. But she needs another screenwriter to help out the plotting. 

And a new director...I don't know. Yates is already confirmed. I feel he's staying for the third but might not be the one to finish the fourth and fifth.

Rowling would be kept in for story but let someone else write the actual script. 

Yates might be confirmed but it’s not a guarantee he will do it because we’ve seen directors announced for films only to drop out later on. If WB feels they need a director then I can see Yates stepping down but stay on as a producer 

8 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

Please! We only got Venom for the last 15-20 minutes of SM3. No way would I call it a Venom movie!

A Venom spin-off that time followed by SM3 and Venom 2 would have been better compared to planning SM3, 4, 5 (Of course easy to speculate now). Enough content in Spidey verse to run those in parallel giving a good breather to each sub-franchise. But those were still early days for CBMs and only X-men had added vigour to the genre prior to SM1 once Bat/Sup took a break.

Edited by a2k

Warner Bros isn't going to change that much. It's not like Fantastic Beasts is a bomb or anything. They had one bad critically reviewed film in the Harry Potter universe which is gonna leave a little dent at the box office. That's it. It's not like they've put out several and films in a row. They're probably gonna have another screen writer to write along side Rowling (they aren't getting rid of her nor do they have the power to do that. She's the creator of this universe after all) and get a different director who can properly bring the themes/ideas to the big screen. 

Now if the next Fantastic Beasts is bad, well then yea they've got a problem mounting up. But right now the issues that need to be addressed are small and imo easily fixed. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Really can't see them taking control of anything from Rowling that she isn't willing to give.  In the long run they need her far more than she needs them.  It would behoove her though to partner with a good screenwriter b/c her scripts are too expository heavy and unwieldy.  They're novels squished into movie format instead of actual screenplays.

I think pairing her with a screenwriter is the most likely options. For The Cursed Child, Jack Thorne wrote the play based on the story she came up with Thorne and John Tiffany and perhaps we might see something like that with the third FB film

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Sounds like they need more than uncredited screenwriters to touch up JKR's screenplays. 

Bringing in Terrio didn't really help BVS and the blame fell on Snyder. So that way Yates getting some animus (pun intended) is justified, but unlike Snyder in DCEU Yates has given good/very good films to this franchise (HBP, DH1, DH2, FB1) so letting him direct FB3 would be apt.

Edited by a2k

WB ignored the complaints about Man of Steel and moved forward and made BvS, which was not only awful but even more audience unfriendly than MOS and then they let Snyder do Justice League after BvS rancid reception. Sure they had Whedon reshoot and reconfigure a lot of it but that was only after disliking Snyder's version. Yates is not going anywhere right now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, a2k said:

Bringing in Terrio didn't really help BVS and the blame fell on Snyder. So that way Yates getting some animus (pun intended) is justified, but unlike Snyder in DCEU Yates has given good/very good films to this franchise (HBP, DH1, DH2, FB1) so letting him direct FB3 would be apt.

You make a good point about Yates actually directing well liked films in the series unlike Snyder with regards to the DCEU. 

9 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

yeah because that worked so well for them with DCEU.

Fantastic Beasts and DC are two different kettle of fish, I don’t think it would be a bad thing to have a new director because we’ve seen with some films like Prisoner of Azkaban for example where it shook things up in a good way. Same with a screenwriter, it’s not replacing Rowling but assisting her so her vision can executed better 

• Like 1