YM!

Weekend Thread 11/16 - 11/18 - Grindelwald $25.7M Friday, Instant Family at $4.5M Friday

I love The Dark Knight Trilogy but Batman v Superman is the greatest comic book film. Zack Snyder made a film that managed to be entertaining, thought provoking, faithful to the vast source material and also delve deep into the meaning of those characters. He made the impossible once again. BVS is right up there along with the greatest Hollywood classics like Citizen Kane and Casablanca, and will be the most influential film of the 21st century. That means it's not yet given the recognition it deserves and comments like this are still met with mockery. But the day will come that BVS will be seen as the masterpiece that it is. I just hope people appreciate Zack Snyder as the brilliant genius that he is before it's too late. But considering how Stanley Kubrick and Alfred Hitchcock died without getting an Academy Award for Best Director goes to show how shitty we are.

P.S.: I predicted a $63 million opening weekend for Crimes Of Grindelwald two months ago and people here reacted with mockery and disdain. It's now inside the range of what the trades are predicting today after the Friday numbers.

• Haha 6

I would be down with BvS but I would need to take Adderall and take a tour with the movie or somewhere.  (in terms of detail vs other comic book movies, it only rivals ASM2)

I don't understand how kids dug it, but when I left one of the matinees, all of the 10-15 year olds seemed to be crying and were worried en masse like they think about these movies overnight and envision them...

Edited by the Quran 2015ama

The Dark Knight Trilogy barely qualifies as superhero movies and it spends half its time to remind you of that sad fact, coming from a director who publicly said he could only take seriously Batman in a nealry 80 years old art form that created thousands and thousands of characters.

Michael Mann was very touched when he saw TDK though.

tenor.gif?itemid=12494317

Edited by The Futurist

47 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I just hope people appreciate Zack Snyder as the brilliant genius that he is before it's too late.

He won't be forgotten that's for sure. Not a single FRESH movie this decade. 

40% Justice League

27% Suicide Squad

44% 300: Rise of an Empire

56% Man of Steel

23% Sucker Punch

51% Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Disbelief 1

grr...liberals.  They read, process, respond, and make decisions.

Could we lay off all the liberal mods on this forum?

Are there any private forums about box office that are a bit more conservative and don't have the censorship I am looking at?

Hmmm, that doesn't sound any better.  

Anyway...NUMBERS!

5 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Considering FB2 is going to be gross less than the first film, it's refreshing there's no fan wars compared to what happened with JL or Solo's weekend thread. 

It’s because no one cares about FB franchise enough to have a fan war/ meltdown   :ph34r:

Spoiler

... would be one hypothesis. Some other factors to consider might be that JL and Solo did literally less than 60% of some fan expectations, whereas CoG won’t be nearly as far below

Edited by Thanos Legion

Widows is fucking good, go watch it. I read a review comparing it to Heat, which is one of my favorites, and I was thinking the same while watching it, in that it's a sprawling, epic crime story that also gets into the character's personal lives and makes them feel like real people. Everything about it just worked beautifully for me, perfect cast, sharp writing, very stylishly directed but completely tasteful and doesn't pander a bit to the audience's intelligence (all other things it has in common with Heat). Highly recommend.

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Like 4

Overlord I really enjoyed, it's definitely a future cult classic. Really well-made IMO for what is essentially a silly B-movie. The strictly war-movie that it is during the first act is very well-shot, well-acted, and while it plays like a slow-burn, it is very gripping. 

The movie is also really fun when it turns into a zombie gore-fest that the trailers promised. And I think the blending of the genres worked overall, but I can totally see how it would alienate a lot of people. Understandable why it isn't doing better at the box office, but I think it will have a long healthy life on streaming etc. ala Kick-Ass or something. 

1. Where is this lunacy coming from, regarding Spider-Man Homecoming?

it was great.

2. I really enjoyed CoG, saw it at noon at Disney Springs, it has one crucial element all previous films lacked, the element of surprise.

even the first Beasts, you knew what was coming, and how the movie would end, this one, I did not see most of that coming at all.

BTW, when I asked how Beasts was doing today, they said it was doing considerably better than yesterday.

• Like 1