WrathOfHan

Thanksgiving Weekend Thread: ESTIMATES (Page 40) | Ralph 55.7M (84.5M Total) | Creed II 35.3M (55.8M Total) | The Grinch 30.2M | Grindelwald 29.7M | Robin Hood 9.1M (14.2M Total) | AMAZING BLACK FRIDAY SALE

Fantastic Beasts was a risky decision from the moment 5 movies were anounced. It was a whole new franchise with very few connections to the wizarding world, many of which felt forced. In order for the first movie to have sustained a 5 film plan, the new characters should have been absolutely engaging and the problem is that most of them were... eh... bland.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Ugh, that FB2 number is sad. Wife and I saw it last night (best part of being at family's house is the plethora of baby sitters lol.) Both of us agreed the script needed to be tightened, but otherwise dont see why the scores are so bad. 

Fantastic for Ralph - hope to take the kiddos tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

Just saw a Nutcracker ad during the parade. Little late there guys :lol:

Can't blame them. Thanksgiving will have passed and there's nothing of note coming out the next two weeks. Might as well give it one last push before it gets shoved completely out of theaters starting December 14.

1 hour ago, a2k said:

drop of 1.6% from Tue. Tue and Wed has been worse than JL.

Movie  Tue    Wed

FB1   +38%   +18%

JL      +41%   -1%

FB2   +37%   -1.6%

It should be noted that Crimes of Grindelwald faced a whole lot more competition than Justice League on those days (Ralph Breaks the Internet + Creed 2 + Robin Hood + Green Book >>> Coco). Hopefully that could mean a better hold through the weekend and until the big end-year releases drop on December 14th. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yikes. Will this even do 4M for the 3 day?

Probably not. Said this in the Best Picture thread but with all the negative publicity it's received on top of disappointing grosses, I'll be surprised if it ends up with more than a single nomination (for Ali).

Awards fare continues to struggle this year. The Favourite better deliver a robust PTA this weekend from its 4 theaters.

4 minutes ago, TomeRide said:

It should be noted that Crimes of Grindelwald faced a whole lot more competition than Justice League on those days (Ralph Breaks the Internet + Creed 2 + Robin Hood + Green Book >>> Coco). Hopefully that could mean a better hold through the weekend and until the big end-year releases drop on December 14th. 

fair point.

fb1 fell 39% in 2nd weekend and justice league fell 56%. splitting that gives 47-48% drop (31-32m). if fb2 can manage that then 170-175m dom is possible else I think it's settling closer to 165m.

Edited by a2k

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Probably not. Said this in the Best Picture thread but with all the negative publicity it's received on top of disappointing grosses, I'll be surprised if it ends up with more than a single nomination (for Ali).

Awards fare continues to struggle this year. The Favourite better deliver a robust PTA this weekend from its 4 theaters.

I didn’t realize there was negative publicity for it? CinemaScore was phenomenal at least. But good call on it failing in wide, thought it could do something.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I sincerely doubt WB will be comfortable continuing the current plan for the FB franchise after this box office performance. There will be some re-tooling going on. How Rowling reacts will be the interesting piece in all of this. 

they need to drop the budget. instead of 50000000 magical effects, focus on 1 or 2 but make them pop. Like Venom. Cut the number of characters and more than anything cut the number of PoV. FB2 is bogged down by desire to give everyone a PoV and character arc. Improve the main leads or kill some and get replacements. Sack JKR.  

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I didn’t realize there was negative publicity for it? CinemaScore was phenomenal at least. But good call on it failing in wide, thought it could do something.

There was the Viggo N word controversy recently and now the real Don Shirley's family has blasted the movie as being false.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, a2k said:

They need the jolt. To first use the mojo of Potter and divert it into an always flimsy looking FB franchise, and then announce 5 of them was absurd. Reminds me of ASM1's bo making everyone happy and ASM2 kicking Sony in the backside. But if Sony can comeback from that with Venom and Spider-verse, surely WB will do right by the Potter goldmine soon.

I think WB will be making changes to FB, I imagine any autonomy Rowling and Heyman enjoyed is over and the studio will be likely bring in a new director and a new co-writer. 

I reckon FB3 will be delayed and replaced with Space Jam 2 or The Witches in November 2020. 

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I think WB will be making changes to FB, I imagine any autonomy Rowling and Heyman enjoyed is over and the studio will be likely bring in a new director and a new co-writer. 

I reckon FB3 will be delayed and replaced with Space Jam 2 or The Witches in November 2020. 

Space Jam 2 will definitely be November 2020 if it's gonna be shooting in a few months. The Witches will likely open in late September/early October to tie in with Halloween.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Saw this brought up on twitter yesterday - the awards movies failing seems to be a combo of every awards bait movie being crammed into the last 2 months and the general public now thinking of awards bait movies as “Don’t need to watch this on the big screen because it’s awards bait which means it’s probably a slow and boring movie”

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Saw this brought up on twitter yesterday - the awards movies failing seems to be a combo of every awards bait movie being crammed into the last 2 months and the general public now thinking of awards bait movies as “Don’t need to watch this on the big screen because it’s awards bait which means it’s probably a slow and boring movie”

It’s probably more due to the fact that there’s actual appealing mainstream adult drama fare this year like ASIB, BR, and Creed 2.

• Like 1