Eric Prime

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse l June 2 2023 | Animators deserve better

I think if it pulled “only” around 100 for OW, we could be in for something like a near TGM 5x epic multi since don’t forget this has the built in advantage as well of being animation in the summer. Multi boost from that alone. 

Edited by MovieMan89

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I would honestly love to see this open just “good” but not great and then blow everyone away with the multi considering it’s in a perfect spot to be leggy with all the  apparently lackluster comp for the summer. 

I'd rather it opened great and then still did a 4+ multi. I'm greedy!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Very hot take: into the spider-verse is very overrated and is not a top 10 comic book movie of all time 

Not sure how hot a take it is to say it's not one of the best superhero movies of all time That's essentially what you're saying when saying it's not Top 10. How many superhero/comic book/graphic novel movies have their been in the last 30 years? I assume well over 100? It wouldn't be in my top ten either but that doesn't mean I didn't think it was a really good movie. It's my third or fourth favorite Spider-Man movie even. But, I like those other ones I have above it a great deal though.

17 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

I reckon Miyazaki can do it.

I dunno if Miyazaki's movie could be nominated for Best Picture because it will have to fight uphill by being both foreign and animated.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

A live action Miles Morales movie would have a lot going against it, and I don’t just mean because of the racist a-holes. It would inevitably have to be compared to the Spider-Verse movies, which sounds like a losing battle if there ever was one. 

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

A live action Miles Morales movie would have a lot going against it, and I don’t just mean because of the racist a-holes. It would inevitably have to be compared to the Spider-Verse movies, which sounds like a losing battle if there ever was one. 

Take the opposite approach of these and focus on street level stuff, or have him team up with the Champions

• Like 1

As for 200 openers… it’s just going to keep getting easier with the crazy inflation. There’s probably going to be a bunch of films that would shock people right now that hit 200 OW in the next decade. As for admissions on the huge OWs of the 2010s level… yeah that could be a really long  time.  

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

I dunno if Miyazaki's movie could be nominated for Best Picture because it will have to fight uphill by being both foreign and animated.

Yeah, though I do think it would happen if he has another masterpiece up in his sleeve. His legacy in the west is far more monumental now than in his prime. Ponyo/Wind Rises quality tier wouldn’t cut it though. 

I wouldn't say the avengers movies are guaranteed 200m openers, but if smaller-scale movies such as multiverse of Madness and Wakanda Forever can open to close to 200m, combined with growing inflation the MCU would have to be in a much worse spot than it is right now for the next avengers movie to not reach 200m OW

4 hours ago, thajdikt said:

But I think 200M+ days are over at lest for 5-10 years.

Secret Wars is not missing 200M unless Kang Dynasty completely shits the bed.

180M-199M would be phenomenal for an R-rated Deadpool 3, even if it's the Fox X-Men equivalent of No Way Home.

KD itself is a wildcard at this point considering there's a big ? over Majors' continued association with the MCU. Getting Loveness off writing duties was probably the right call even tho I thought Quantumania was nowhere as mid as Multiverse of Madness and Secret Wars still has Waldron, so...

If this explodes in WOM and ends up doing 400+ DOM, I don’t see why the next one couldn’t clear 200 OW. Spidey 3s are known for their huge OWs after all. 

And no way it doesn’t get moved to the summer, especially with the writers strike. 

Edited by MovieMan89

6 hours ago, thajdikt said:

Deadpool 3 could be the next 200M opener, the hype for that will be on a different level. But I think 200M+ days are over at lest for 5-10 years. MCU is coming down from the high and Avatar movies is all about legs. Mario 2 seems plausible

Tbh, I think Mario 2 is more likely to decrease and be more like the Jurassic World movies going forward. The novelty has been spent.

• Like 2

Wouldn't be shocked if Spiderverse3 was that huge of an OW.  If keyser is accurate this could blow up to 140+. Another strong reception and finale could push the last film higher.

Mario is more of a trickier one. But I do agree without novelty factor it will probably drop. Still it is a candidate for sure.

Maybe avatar3 can do it but I don't think so. 2nd film behavior was very peculiar in that people were willing to see it further down the line as long as that meant better seats. Without more premium screens 3 will not go much higher and I don't think the number of premium screens will change much in the near future.

Only other film I see doing it in next few yrs is avengers. I don't even think any SW film has a shot at 200M ow in the near future.