MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

1 minute ago, Lokis Legion said:

Put another way, there is no point in issuing an actual meltdown bar for a movie where collective expectations are so miscalibrated on the low side that the level of performance which would trigger a for realsies meltdown can’t actually happen.    

I will shorten it to “crumbling bar” in the future for such cases, and likely continue to use “meltdown bar” if the collective expectations are well-calibrated such that my 10th percentile target actually does risk some real melting down.

Fair enough.  Like I just said in my took-to-long-to-compose-post (sorry-about-that), I'm really not trying to be the "No Fun Police", though I realize I'm bordering on that.

Just that... I really didn't like the term, sorry. :lol:

Crumbling bar though is *chef's kiss*, IMO.  Especially since it evokes a great amount of board history. 👍

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

This is kinda the thing though.  When you created this little term for Black Widow it was 100 percent apparent it was a somewhat tongue in cheek term because of the surrounding commentary of the movie in the thread.  I just think as time goes on and folks filter in and out of various topics, that's gonna get lost.

Like, some random lurker pops in here and just sees this post completely devoid of all context?

This is a valid concern but using language that caters to those who aren’t in on the joke is no fun at all 😛 

Just now, Lokis Legion said:

This is a valid concern but using language that caters to those who aren’t in on the joke is no fun at all 😛 

Probably what I’ll do in the future is:  

“Meltdown bar: $abc,def,ghi 

[spoiler box explaining the context and some more serious information about what sort of numbers might be excellent/great/good/fine/bad/actually meltdown worthy]”

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

IIRC TS4 missed Disney projection of $140M which is never a great result.

What Disney usually put as projection can surely be taken as meltdown bar.

For the record, TS4 coming in under studio projections (which are most often trying to set a low bar to easily vault over it expectation game) is exactly why I thought of TS4.

Never a great look indeed to come in under studio projections.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Will the weather have impact on this? The east coast is getting drenched 

An excellent point, actually. And one I was literally just thinking about after Eric mentioned it in his tracking report.

Anyone know how long this is supposed to last?  Haven't kept track of that.

Edited by Porthos

Just now, Porthos said:

An excellent point, actually. And one I was literally just thinking about after Eric pointed it out.

We had about 5 tornado warnings today (currently in NJ) but tomorrow's forecast is beautiful. Sunny all day other than the early morning. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

An excellent point, actually. And one I was literally just thinking about after Eric mentioned it in his tracking report.

At least here in my area? Like...right now. Tomorrow is supposed to be all sunny, while Friday is partly cloudy. Still don't know what the roads and overall damages/morale will look like, but weather wise, things should be a 180

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Menor said:

We had about 5 tornado warnings today (currently in NJ) but tomorrow's forecast is beautiful. Sunny all day other than the early morning. 

17 minutes ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

At least here in my area? Like...right now. Tomorrow is supposed to be all sunny, while Friday is partly cloudy. Still don't know what the roads and overall damages/morale will look like, but weather wise, things should be a 180

Should be pretty much a nonfactor then. Thanks. :)

Comment withdrawn after Eric's post about just how bad the rain damage was up in his area.

Edited by Porthos

9 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

In Europe rains help the box office donno how it is in US, but then if rain are so furious that it's tough to drive then surely gonna negative impact a little.

This is what we're dealing with

The commute back home from me was one of the most nerve-wracking experiences of my life, just down to how flooded the roads were and how hard the rain was pushing me. The fact I managed to stay alive and get home safe and sound was a blessing from God. And I don't even believe in the guy!

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Should be pretty much a nonfactor then. Thanks. :)

Au contraire, mon frère. Bad weather Wednesday that doesn’t last through Thursday can be used to explain slight Wednesday weakness and expect a stronger Th boost from that deflated Wed, keeping us on track for 9.7 ;) 

10 minutes ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

The commute back home from me was one of the most nerve-wracking experiences of my life, just down to how flooded the roads were and how hard the rain was pushing me. The fact I managed to stay alive and get home safe and sound was a blessing from God. And I don't even believe in the guy!

*buncha stuff snipped*

Okay, I withdraw my "nonfactor" comment, as that looks like there could be some brutal clean up in your neck of the woods and elsewhere (never mind where the actual hurricane hit).

8 hours ago, Eric and the Ten Rings said:

This is what we're dealing with

It looks like Godzilla got out the sea

• Like 2