MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

1 hour ago, The GOAT said:

Noticeably big difference between Tony Leung and Simu Liu.   

There's also an overload of characters just dumping exposition on me.  

The Hand to Hand fight scenes were absolutely stellar and dynamic. Just Wish They had a color grading that made it feel more thrilling.

If you have not seen In the Mood for Love with him and directed by Wong-Kar-Wai then try it out. Tony Leung is fantastic in it and pretty much good in anything he has done. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think we have seen the last  hybrid release for a MCU film for a long time.

I always thought this was the most problematic Marvel film so far since it was pretty obscure to contemporary audinces charecter. (let's face it, he was an attempt to cash in on the Kung Fu/Asian Martial Arts craze of the 70's and got little exposure in the Marvel Univers after his book was cancelled in 1981) but the sucess of this flm proves that the Marvel Studio label has box office value. It's really unusual for a studio to get brand value like that.

Wasn’t that already proven years ago? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just got back from my matinee, some small quibbles here and there, but overall, man they really nailed this. I was afraid going in that the Chinese dialogue would be weird/bad, or that they would get the dragon/creatures wrong, but nope, Marvel really did their homework and got the little details so right. Chinese dialogue is actually better than the subtitles as somethings they just don't translate. So impressed. This is definitely Tony Leung's movie and he was soo good as he always is. There were some slow bits and Simu wasn't as strong as I hoped, but over all, I'm super happy with this movie and will definitely watch it at least 2 more times. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The third act really brought down this film for me, up till then it was very solid with establishing the drama and everyone's motivations. The hand to hand fighting was excellent but the CGI was not really used inspiringly so it looks kind of muddled color wise (so much gray). Simu Liu does a okay job of just doing what's needed on screen but I feel like he was outshined by supporting cast.

General audiences will def love it. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Saw this with a very energetic and enthusiastic sold out Dolby crowd. the crowd loved the film and the energy in there was great. Took my Mom & sister. They loved it and we are planning to go again soon. The fighting scenes were amazing, the best in the MCU imo. Loved the story and the action. 8.5 out of 10 for me. Some tiny things I would've changed but other than that it was pretty amazing. Very rewatchable movie.  Might bump it up to a 9 once I get a second viewing in. Refreshing movie for the MCU. 

7 hours ago, Ronin46 said:

If you have not seen In the Mood for Love with him and directed by Wong-Kar-Wai then try it out. Tony Leung is fantastic in it and pretty much good in anything he has done. 

How about more recent films like The Great Magician, Monster Hunt 2 and Europe Raiders?

Haha. Tony Leung is a good actor; but since his wife took over his management - there has been some misses and he has taken roles that he unfortunately couldn't showcase his acting..

Not dissing him but just want to make sure that the expectations are set right for people who are getting to know him.

Everyone has hits and misses.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

How about more recent films like The Great Magician, Monster Hunt 2 and Europe Raiders?

Haha. Tony Leung is a good actor; but since his wife took over his management - there has been some misses and he has taken roles that he unfortunately couldn't showcase his acting..

Not dissing him but just want to make sure that the expectations are set right for people who are getting to know him.

Everyone has hits and misses.

He has been in over 60 movies to date in a span of nearly 40 years. I really enjoyed him in Hard Boiled, Red Cliff, ChungKing Express, the Grandmaster and Infernal Affairs to make a few of them. When you make that amount of films over that period of time some wont be memorable or great but I have found him consistently to be very watchable and terrific. 

I recommended In the Mood For Love starring him and said "he is pretty much good in anything he has done". I did not say all his films are great or that he is always great in them.

So thanks for being condescending and completely missing the point.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

He has been in over 60 movies to date in a span of nearly 40 years. I really enjoyed him in Hard Boiled, Red Cliff, ChungKing Express, the Grandmaster and Infernal Affairs to make a few of them. When you make that amount of films over that period of time some wont be memorable or great but I have found him consistently to be very watchable and terrific. 

I recommended In the Mood For Love starring him and said "he is pretty much good in anything he has done". I did not say all his films are great or that he is always great in them.

So thanks for being condescending and completely missing the point.

Was not being condescending. Can see that you are a big fan; but important for us to have an open minded discussion here.

Tony Leung IS a great actor; but in recent times (last 10 yrs) he has taken roles that he could not showcass that good acting. In fact i wasn't a big fan of The Grandmaster let alone Monster Hunt 2 or Europe Raiders.

Pretty much good in anything he has done is a generalisation.... because like I said; we have seen films where he wasn't at his best or took those roles to return a favours to studios / directors.

At his best, he is a legend BUT everyone has hits and misses - that is all i am saying; not dissing anyone here.

For example: RDJ is an excellent actor but i didn't like him in Dolittle... is that condescending or offensive? No...

4 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Was not being condescending. Can see that you are a big fan; but important for us to have an open minded discussion here.

Tony Leung IS a great actor; but in recent times (last 10 yrs) he has taken roles that he could not showcass that good acting. In fact i wasn't a big fan of The Grandmaster let alone Monster Hunt 2 or Europe Raiders.

Pretty much good in anything he has done is a generalisation.... because like I said; we have seen films where he wasn't at his best or took those roles to return a favours to studios / directors.

At his best, he is a legend BUT everyone has hits and misses - that is all i am saying; not dissing anyone here.

For example: RDJ is an excellent actor but i didn't like him in Dolittle... is that condescending or offensive? No...

Pretty much good does not mean ALL or mean GREAT or that the movies are GREAT. I would say the same thing about RDJ honestly. Great in a few roles like Chaplain and Zodiac and consistently good in nearly all roles with a few misses in a long career and a lot of movies. Also sometimes an actor can be good in a rubbish movie.

45 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

Pretty much good does not mean ALL or mean GREAT or that the movies are GREAT. I would say the same thing about RDJ honestly. Great in a few roles like Chaplain and Zodiac and consistently good in nearly all roles with a few misses in a long career and a lot of movies. Also sometimes an actor can be good in a rubbish movie.

You genuinely didn't get my point or my initial tone in my first reply to you. I did not expect you to be so defensive. Was not being condescending, in fact I was promoting Leung my way..

Truth is Tony Leung is great; but his best movies were mostly from a decade ago or longer. And i always keep expectations in check especially when recommending filmography to people new to a particular actor; like i would highlight the best movies of a actor's career and would of course urge them to skip some of the worse ones. Everyone has hits and misses and there are films that Tony just couldn't get to showcase his great acting. I wouldn't want a new fan to stumble upon Europe Raiders (which is his most recent film before SC)...ever...! I would recommend Infernal Affairs, In the Mood of Love, Red Cliff and keep it at that.

Anyone following Asian cinema knows Tony Leung is unfortunately not exactly going uphill unlike his peers like Andy Lau or Aaron Kwok (just comparing peers in the acting department); and I genuinely hope Shang Chi is a turning point with Golden Finger as a follow-up later this year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

You genuinely didn't get my point or my initial tone in my first reply to you. I did not expect you to be so defensive. Was not being condescending, in fact I was promoting Leung my way..

Truth is Tony Leung is great; but his best movies were mostly from a decade ago or longer. And i always keep expectations in check especially when recommending filmography to people new to a particular actor; like i would highlight the best movies of a actor's career and would of course urge them to skip some of the worse ones. Everyone has hits and misses and there are films that Tony just couldn't get to showcase his great acting. I wouldn't want a new fan to stumble upon Europe Raiders (which is his most recent film before SC)...ever...! I would recommend Infernal Affairs, In the Mood of Love, Red Cliff and keep it at that.

Anyone following Asian cinema knows Tony Leung is unfortunately not exactly going uphill unlike his peers like Andy Lau or Aaron Kwok (just comparing peers in the acting department); and I genuinely hope Shang Chi is a turning point with Golden Finger as a follow-up later this year.

I did not recommend any films of Tony Leung except In the Mood For Love and went on to say he is good in pretty much anything he has been in. I did not say he has ONLY been in good movies or make any recommendations for his films. This topic is fairly boring and I stand by my original point and my follow ups.  

• Like 2

Look, even Meryl Streep has been terrible at times. No actor has a 10/10 filmography. 

Also all of the “YOU NEED TO DROP EVERYTHING AND WATCH LEUNG MOVIES NOW” articles flying around Twitter are highlighting his like 7-10 greatest hits.

As I said in the weekend thread, I personally did seven of them before Shang Chi, and probably have another five more I should get it. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cap said:

Look, even Meryl Streep has been terrible at times. No actor has a 10/10 filmography. 

Also all of the “YOU NEED TO DROP EVERYTHING AND WATCH LEUNG MOVIES NOW” articles flying around Twitter are highlighting his like 7-10 greatest hits.

As I said in the weekend thread, I personally did seven of them before Shang Chi, and probably have another five more I should get it. 

Have you made it to Happy Together yet?   So so so great and yes it will break your heart.

• Like 1