MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

Looking back at TV spots views, man AMATW had some pathetic numbers. The highest TV spot for that film was in the 20k likes range. Compared to that SC is doing amazing, lol. Looking through the views, honestly if I was just looking at TV spots, I'd say this was going to open to 100+ if theatrical exclusive. So I don't think we can use TV spots as evidence of low buzz here. 

Edited by Menor
  • Astonished 3

30 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Is the marketing even creating buzz? 

30 second "Call" spot on Youtube premiered 2 days ago and has 950k views. 50k thumbs up and 437 thumbs down

30 second "Rise" spot on Youtube premiered 3 days ago and has 767k views. 39k thumbs up and 357 thumbs down

Feels like it hasn't left a footprint online. And we won't begin to have general sense of its connection to the mainstream until presales

These are pretty strong numbers for TV spots :thinking:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Menor said:

Yeah those are actually very strong numbers for TV spots. CM averaged in the 50-60k like count for its early spots iirc, that dropped to the 20k range as the release got closer. BW's biggest proper TV spot was in the 1m views 50k like range and none of the others crossed 800k/40k (there were a couple of "special looks" that did higher numbers, but those were very different from TV spots). Also have to consider "Test" which got 156k likes and 3.6 million views which is quite great for a TV spot that had very little promotion. It's on par with the "Special Look" of BW that was teased beforehand and was functionally a trailer 2 for the film. 

Exactly, i have a hard time seeing this "lack of hype" some people claim.

There's nothing wrong with the marketing campaign, i found the posters ugly and i don't see anything beyond the trailers but the views, impressions on social media, likes, Rt's etc seems all good.

Of course there's nothing suggesting that it will be huge but i don't think anyone expect this for Shang Chi anyway. I'm hopeful for a pretty good 50M OW and unless things gets even worse by September i think it's a reasonable number.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Tickets go on sale next Monday.  

I think that is actually a great decision, didn't the movie premiere happening next Monday too?

Tickets will go on sale along with the probably good to great reactions on social media, bodes well for strong numbers.

• Like 2

One tough angle here is that it’s not clear if an exclusive BW would have been in the 95M range or more like the 110s. If you think SC should be able to pull like 50-60%, those would have some pretty different implications.    

The PS start won’t even be that much help since it’s such a short run — day 1 sales will be inflated vs comps, but T-17 will be deflated. Going to take until Aug 20 something before we can look at PS and start to have a pretty decent empirical sense of where things are headed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

because the trailer never plays well to audiences when I see it in theaters

That can't be used as a proof tho, it's a very small group of people and not everyone is excited about it. Also i'm sure there are people who are going to see it but doesn't really cheer up just from seeing the trailer in front of another movie.

I'm also expecting an average MCU movie based on what they showed (hopefully more DS average than BW average), but that doesn't seems to be impacting actual data because all the numbers for it's marketing are good.

Edited by ThomasNicole

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

This reminds me of when people said that the CM trailers were boring and didn't create hype despite doing great numbers on social media. Obviously this doesn't have CM-level hype but I'm sensing a minified version of that phenomenon. 

CM doesn’t have a worldwide pandemic it’s facing. The marketing was bland but it obviously had Endgame tie-in and hype for being the first female-led MCU movie.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

CM doesn’t have a worldwide pandemic it’s facing. The marketing was bland but it obviously had Endgame tie-in and hype for being the first female-led MCU movie.

...... dude  you do realise that only the hardcore fans even understood what that logo in the post credit scenes meant ? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

...... dude  you do realise that only the hardcore fans even understood what that logo in the post credit scenes meant ? 

The marketing based around Captain Marvel was to set her up for Endgame. The post credit scene of a major MCU cliffhanger would get anyone hyped 

Do you always react like this whenever someone doubts the box office of a movie or mentions COVID?

Also, why haven’t you signed into your curtis1986 clone account today?

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

That can't be used as a proof tho, it's a very small group of people and not everyone is excited about it. Also i'm sure there are people who are going to see it but doesn't really cheer up just from seeing the trailer in front of another movie.

Maybe it’s a UK thing because we’re all reserved, but I can’t think of a single time while watching the trailers in cinemas that there’s been audibly excited reactions. Obviously with trailers for comedies you get laughter, and with horror trailers you get yelps from jump scares, but for something like an MCU trailer, I can’t think of any time where there’s been reactions from the crowd. It doesn’t mean people aren’t looking forward to it or uninterested, it just tends to be the case that once the lights go down for the trailers, that’s when everyone shuts up.

Anecdotally speaking, last week my TSS screening had trailers for Dune, No Time To Die and Free Guy, all films that I’m interested in, but the trailers didn’t cause me to make any kind of audible reaction. Likewise for everyone else in my audience.

I don’t think you can really discern much from in cinema trailer reactions.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

The marketing based around Captain Marvel was to set her up for Endgame. The post credit scene of a major MCU cliffhanger would get anyone hyped 

Do you always react like this whenever someone doubts the box office of a movie or mentions COVID?

Also, why haven’t you signed into your curtis1986 clone account today?

am i suppose to understand what you just said ? Also dude the only reason i even argue with you it not bc of what you think about this movie or its box office prospects honestly couldnt care less, the reason is that you present your opinion as a fact, i have seen all the trailers and tv spots for captain marvel and honestly if i was a casual guy i would just thought that the mcu is about to introduce a new hero thats all.I never got an impression of her set up in endgame , captain marvels marketing was the same like  all the mcu first solo outings........

shang chi seems to have a great reaction and a hype like most of the mcu first solo entries based on what i am seeing in all the platforms , now how it will play thats hard to predict .......i expect  antman numbers but i wouldnt count out doc strange numbers for now.....

6 minutes ago, john2000 said:

am i suppose to understand what you just said ? Also dude the only reason i even argue with you it not bc of what you think about this movie or its box office prospects honestly couldnt care less, the reason is that you present your opinion as a fact, i have seen all the trailers and tv spots for captain marvel and honestly if i was a casual guy i would just thought that the mcu is about to introduce a new hero thats all.I never got an impression of her set up in endgame , captain marvels marketing was the same like  all the mcu first solo outings........

You have a second backup account here which seems like a rulebreaker

I don't present anything as fact unless it's a number. I'm simply speaking from my only personal experiences, opinions. And currently, I just feel the hype isn't quite there yet for Shang-Chi. I'm also accounting the COVID situation and of course will change my tune if presales are good. Only stating my opinion. It's an origin story featuring new character who hasn't been mentioned or established elsewhere. I personally don't think it's reaching the heights of first Ant-Man which had decently strong legs for MCU origin solo and that's probably the most reasonable comparison. Doctor Strange was a bigger character with a famous star in lead and very showy visual marketing

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash

6 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

You have a second backup account here which seems like a rulebreaker

I don't present anything as fact unless it's a number. I'm simply speaking from my only personal experiences, opinions. And currently, I just feel the hype isn't quite there yet for Shang-Chi. I'm also accounting the COVID situation and of course will change my tune if presales are good. Only stating my opinion. It's an origin story featuring new character who hasn't been mentioned or established elsewhere. 

lol really......

Edited by john2000

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Is the marketing even creating buzz? 

30 second "Call" spot on Youtube premiered 2 days ago and has 950k views. 50k thumbs up and 437 thumbs down

30 second "Rise" spot on Youtube premiered 3 days ago and has 767k views. 39k thumbs up and 357 thumbs down

Feels like it hasn't left a footprint online. And we won't begin to have general sense of its connection to the mainstream until presales

Measuring tv spots based on their online performance has always been stupid because their primary impact is from being aired on fucking TV

Just now, SpiderByte said:

Measuring tv spots based on their online performance has always been stupid because their primary impact is from being aired on fucking TV

Thank for for sharing!

But if they’re released online as well, they’re usually attached to YouTube videos as ads, so it’s curious to measure how much online activity they garner