MuffinMan

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings | Marvel Studios | 92% RT & 99% VA Score | ONLY IN THEATERS Sep 3 2021

On 8/10/2021 at 11:11 AM, charlie Jatinder said:

Chinese are only 1.5% of USA population, so its not like BP where demo is big enough to impact the overall gross by a lot.

This is true and BP also had crazy social media hype like a year or 2 before it came out or had any footage released. I remember seeing the #blackpanthersolit hashtag trending several times on twitter and other social media platforms. There seemed to be a big general audience awareness and anticipation for BP that I've never seen for Shang-Chi, even before the pandemic.

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The fact that tickets are still not on sale makes me think this could possibly be a hybrid release. They are probably waiting til tomorrow to announce

I'm going with 3 week theatrical exclusivity. PA after.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The fact that tickets are still not on sale makes me think this could possibly be a hybrid release. They are probably waiting til tomorrow to announce

Hem... why would they announce so late though; if they want more subscribers and more people to watch it on PA - they will also need to start marketing and include PA in the TV spots, online trailers, updated posters etc.

I just feel that this may be a little too late for them to shift to PA? If they let Free Guy be theatrical exclusive; doesn't make sense for them to risk a MCU film.

I hope you are right though; i know some people who are extremely worried about the resurgence of the virus but more than willing to pay to watch it at home.

30 minutes ago, AJG said:

I'm going with 3 week theatrical exclusivity. PA after.

Then PA wouldn't make sense (nor much money) IMO; the fact that people can watch it at the same time.. the "simultaneous" is what works for PA - people pay to watch at home and avoid spoilers especially for an MCU film. 

If there is theatrical exclusivity for 3 weeks; it shouldn't be on PA but just free on D+..

Edited by TigerPaw

Embargo reactions...sigh. Remember when they gushed how realistic Black Widow action was? And then remember the terrible CGI crap that was lampooned on social media as soon as the movie was out? That's embargo reaction for you. They always overpraise something because they saw it and you didn't. So yeah, this will get the obligatory "Marvel has done it again" "Best solo movie since ____" "References __________(insert some cinematic classic" (lol), "Simu Liu is killing it/Best SH since RDJ" (this in particular is going to be a big theme cause all positives about him so far are only polite "I'm sure he's a nice guy" variety), "Can't wait to see it again". It's as if they just change names from previous tweets and re-posts them. And of course, the lonely voice or two stating that the movie's generic and we've seen all that before and better while actors did admirably against the script that failed them. Again, change names and repost. :hahaha:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Maggie said:

If they put it on PA it'd have to come with a delay. And it doesn't seem like it's being delayed. So it's likely not going on PA. It's far, far too short notice.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 2

I mean, at this point people are just continuing to make stuff up, a lot of it completely ridiculous stuff.  

Yet Disney just released more In Theater assets this week, sent out the early on sale doc to theaters and are steaming full speed ahead with zero signs of PA or delay.  

Let's continue to talk about imaginary scenarios though, seems productive.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I was expecting $70M OW for it but thanks to discourse in last few days, $60M don't look too bad now.

Only need $8M previews for that as start point. Guess it can do that.

If Black Widow did $80M, Shang-Chi, all else equal, should do $70M with an extra day...that should be the realistic get...your expectation is a valid MCU one, and we could see Deadline put that up as a serious tracking next week...

I just don't personally think it's getting that close b/c it's not connecting to some of the MCU base...and I don't think the non-base makes up for it...at all...b/c of reasons I put in this thread already...

EDIT TO ADD: This will not go under Jungle Cruise DOM OW and won't go over Black Widow DOM OW...so now, all it is is finding where you throw your dart on the movie...high, low, or medium...

Edited by TwoMisfits

29 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I mean, at this point people are just continuing to make stuff up, a lot of it completely ridiculous stuff.  

Yet Disney just released more In Theater assets this week, sent out the early on sale doc to theaters and are steaming full speed ahead with zero signs of PA or delay.  

Let's continue to talk about imaginary scenarios though, seems productive.  

Why do you get so upset and flippant in regards to COVID or delays? It's natural for people to speculate regardless if situation is imaginary, we don't really need your constant antagonism and constant dismissal of current events

I don’t know if it was here or the tracking thread, but I pointed out before that the non-Covid Holiday Record for Labor Day is 30M OW. I think that’s an Easy enough hurdle for this to jump over, which means that regardless if it does 35 million or it does 80 million, they still can spin it in a positive light. So I don’t quite get the doom and gloom.

5 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Why do you get so upset and flippant in regards to COVID or delays? It's natural for people to speculate regardless if situation is imaginary, we don't really need your constant antagonism and constant dismissal of current events

I don't mind talk about Covid or delays, but let's all agree to have even a semblance of reality or evidence behind them. 

Speculation is one thing, but there are way way too many stating that delays are coming as if they are a certainty.  

That's all I ask.  I don't doubt there will be delays here and there or calendar changes, but that is what happens even in non-covid years.  

It's tiring to check back in on multiple threads after a few hours and see they have all devolved to a page or two of most people speaking as if delays or ridiculous scenarios are a guarantee or etched in stone.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1