That One Girl

Dec 21-23 Weekend Thread | Sat#'s (Asgard pg 60) - Aqua 21.8, MPR 8.8, BB 7.2, SMSV 6.9, Mule 3.8 | Discuss Pitbull's musical work here

45 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

While the guy above is being rude, as a foreigner I do find really weird that Christmas boost the BO so much. Here theathers close early on Christmas Eve and on the day itself almost no one goes.

Don't you people spend time with families or something?

In China,New year eve boxoffice is lowest Day in country.Half cinemas are closed.But Chinese New year is the most busy Day for cinema.Most People choose to go to cinema with family and friends.Some people Who rarely go to cinema choose to watch a film on New year Day.They only go to cinema once or twice a year.It's kind of New year celebration.7-Day holiday is highest week for boxoffice.within winter holiday and new year holiday this year new year boxoffice has cross $570M+/$540M/356M/114M/ ≈1.6BN

Christmas boost may not be such Huge.But after star war breaking out these year,Christmas boost is much Bigger than past.

Edited by SliverS

Deadline:

Meanwhile, Bumblebee and Poppins are punching each other over second with the two pics $300K apart over their FSS openings.

I love the mental image of Bumblebee and Mary Poppins beating the crap out of each other. 🤣 Boxing Day coming up for them as well.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, sfran43 said:

If i'm wrong, I apologize in advance, but I thought "closed date" meant it was no longer playing in theaters after that date...

You do not have to apologize for not knowing that even in general, but even less in this case:

it does look like you thought it is per those formulations, even if it is not the case

Movies can be in some cinemas for years after the closing date still. One of many reasons (and this being a small one in comparison) why I start to analyse / really look into BOs earliest 2y after a movie's theatrical run 😉 

An example: there is a 50 seats cinema not that far away (seats for the complete cinema), that usually books movies later than the release date But they also show older movies (2 to 10years 'old') on special days, or.... E.g. at New Years Eve ~ 3years back they showed Avatar.

Another example:

There is a ~ fan cinema in a big city I was living repeatedly  in the past, they do show different movies, but every day/week (depending in the year) at least once a movie that got released in 1975 is shown since 1977 It's record holder for longest running...

Out of the German Wikipedia entry for the film ~

Cult status Rocky Horror Picture Show

Sie wuchs weiter an, so dass der Film heute Kultstatus besitzt und auch nach mehr als 30 Jahren noch in vielen Programmkinos regelmäßig gezeigt wird. Einen weltweiten Rekord halten dabei die Museum Lichtspiele in München, denn hier befindet sich der Film seit dem 24. Juni 1977 regelmäßig wöchentlich und somit seit mehr als 40 Jahren ununterbrochen im Programm (Stand März 2018). In dem Kino wurde ein spezieller Saal nach der Kulisse des Films eingerichtet. Verkleidungen sind gerne gesehen und an der Kasse gibt es für Gäste, die sich nicht schon vorher eingedeckt haben, ein originelles zum Film passendes Mit-Mach-Päckchen.[5][6]

gets played even more than 30 years later gets shown regularly in Art House Cinemas. A worldwide record holds 'Museum Lichtspiele' in Munich (btw, the city I was born in), as here runs the movie since 24 June 1977regular weekly and as such since over 40 years without interruption in their 'program' (is that the term?) = (last checked March 2018). In the cinema a special room (term?) special designed after the set/backdrop (of the movie). Masquerades are welcomed (they like to see the audience in that way), and at the box office they have for the guest who did not ~ prepare, taking-part-boxes (my addition; a lot of the regulars that do also cloth.... like it bring with then candles, rice for the wedding scene,....)

But also Dollar theatres, booked for... events, theme festivals...., adds to the revenue later on. BOM does from time to time adjustments, sadly they do it with international numbers in a in my POV really stupid way: if additional numbers arrive, they adjust the whole of that currency per actual exchange rate = sometimes a movie looses $ bcs of that

Edited by terrestrial
typo

Deadline:

As of tonight Warner Bros.’ Aquaman is coming in lower from its Friday midday projections with a $27.7M first day (vs. $30M) which includes $13.7M previews...

Why the slowdown? The peak moviegoing hasn’t kicked in yet, and by the way, most of the wide entries are down from their 3-day forecasts.

So if they are wrong by $4.5M, how are they going to justify the jump whenever they update their estimates?

"Peak moviegoing suddenly started"...:sparta:

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

It differs from country to country. Here in Germany for example, the 24th and 25th really are not moviegoing-days. Business really picks up on the 26th though. I believe in the UK its very similar. In the US though, Christmas Day is maybe the busiest moviegoing day of the year.

Same with Australia generally on the 26th (Boxing Day) there's a traffic jam of movies being released.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Aquaman is fucking glorious. That is all. See it in IMAX, otherwise you're missing out

I’m driving 1.5 hours to see it in IMAX. It will be my first IMAX movie. This will be our (wife, son and myself) second time watching the movie. We went to the Prime showing las week and loved the movie so much that we are making this short trip. Man, the IMAX tickets were very expensive when compared with our local theater 2D tickets. We are super excited to experience the VFX in IMAX. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Wait, is AQM the first CBM to be released in December? :winomg:

I believe so, CBM's legs at this time of the year has never been tested before, it might not have big opening weekend but it will make up for it on the following weeks, if Aquaman has insane legs go into January and February, we may see more CBM in December in the future.

Mary Poppins is not doing good overseas so it needs to do better domestic. Im from the Philippines and most people dont have any idea about films 30 to 60 years ago. If you asked them about Poppins they say 'what' they dont have any idea at all even films like Gone with the wind,  sound of music, dances with wolves,   the last of the mohicans,  Schindler's list etc. Theres no awareness at all. 

Edited by jayr
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LOLWTF said:

Lol, who releases their movies 4 days before Xmas? Going to see movie after spending all your cash buying presents at the last min? That's dumb af, lol.

It's actually one of the best release date ever.

The highest over all weeks are the two last weeks of the year in the USA (same in Uk, Ger etc.)

1 hour ago, salvador-232 said:

While the guy above is being rude, as a foreigner I do find really weird that Christmas boost the BO so much. Here theathers close early on Christmas Eve and on the day itself almost no one goes.

Don't you people spend time with families or something?

People do and with friends and go to the movies together.

People are in a good mood in general and you can't do anything outside.

And people have free days and many people are taking the days between boxing day and new year of too.

So 23.Dec-1. Jan are free for most people.

I've seen 'Mary Poppins Returns' and I understand why it is not making a lot of money. The movie is actually ok/good but the soundtrack is really bland and forgettable, I mean I don't think I'm gonna listen to any of the songs like I did with 'The Greatest Showman' or 'La La Land' although 'Mary Poppins Returns' being a superior film quality wise. The Greatest Showman had songs that really connected with the audience. 

As for 'Aquaman' the movie is a lot of fun and really glad audiences are liking it, hope it can cross 300m DOM, truly deserves it 

Kinda crazy to think, that Aquaman has a rather solid chance grossing double of MPR (WW).

Like Aquaman might do close to 1B, while MPR will probably fail to reach 500M. (Probably gross more like Solo)

Actually when I think about it, Solo might be, final gross wise a rather good companions.

As both films are at least some what big in the Us, Uk, Aus, Jp and Ger.

Edited by Taruseth

5 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

Kinda crazy to think, that Aquaman has a rather solid chance grossing double of MPR (WW)

Not crazy at all. A CBM always will be a better WW sell than sequel to a 60 year old family film that is only culturally relevant in the US and some countries in Western Europe.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1