Eric Duncan

WrathofHan and CoolEric's Controversial* Predictions of 2019 (*Controversial results may vary)

April 5

The Best of Enemies: Sam Rockwell is starting to get typecast as racists. Someone should change that and make him the fun, lovable, dancing Sam we know again! This sounds like the type of crowdpleasing hit that can make a bit of money, but STX is my only reservation here. If they do a good job marketing this, it will be the sleeper hit of the spring. I am optimistic right now. 12/60 (5x)

Pet Sematary: Stephen King horror is a hot commodity right now coming off of It. The original Pet Sematary was a big success back in the day and adjusts to 132M in 2018. I doubt the remake goes quite that high, but this will not be another Dark Tower at the box office. The first trailer has over 8M views on Paramount’s channel, so buzz definitely is not muted. Uswill be in its fourth weekend when this releases, and La Llorona two weeks later will not be as big (more on that later). I don’t know why people are sleeping on this; it will probably get close to if not cross 100M. 35/105 (3x)

Shazam!: When the first trailer dropped for Shazam!, I felt very good about its chances at the box office. It looks so different from anything DC has released and an overall blast. Now that Aquaman is a smash hit at the box office, my expectations still remain high. DC has finally earned some goodwill back, and this will bring in more families compared to other films in the universe. The only thing going against it is the amount of competition. It is sandwiched right between Captain Marvel and Avengers: Endgame, and families will still be seeing Dumbo and Wonder Park. I do not think the competition will severely impact it, but in a less crowded timeframe, it might have been able to hit 300M. Still, I expect this to land pretty comfortably over Justice League. 80/260 (3.25x)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

April 12

After: Oh no. First off, why is this trailer only a minute long? Secondly, why the hell are they using Dangerous Woman when this protagonist showcases basically none of the qualities Ariana sings in the song? Third, why does this have over 4M views on YouTube? This shit looks BAD, and the target demo can’t even see it because it will be rated R unless they go the PG-13 sex route which would be hilarious. Either way, this is going to die a fast death. Teens and young adults have other things to see. 5/10 (2x)

Hellboy: …..I think this movie looks good! Don’t get me wrong, the trailer is pretty bad and poorly edited, but the action on display looks like a lot of fun. Neil Marshall directed some of the biggest Game of Thrones episodes recently, so that is hardly surprising to me. Billy Idol complements the action well too, so the trailer has some kind of charm on me. But yeah, the trailer is just a random compilation of clips from the movie, and the trailer has a looooooot of dislikes. Even with the negative buzz right now, this is still Hellboy here. I doubt it opens below mid-teens, and if the movie is as good as I am suspecting, it will approach the mid-20s. Legs will be pretty poor regardless going by del Toro’s films, but I’m hoping this is a good movie. If it isn’t, this will be one of my stupidest predictions here. 25/60 (2.4x)

Little: This movie’s concept sounds generic and beaten to death: a stressed woman gets to de-age and become her younger self again. If not for Will Packer, this would be a massive flop, but even with his name attached, I don’t feel good about this film’s chances. The Best of Enemies is probably going to bring in a lot of the same audience, and without a trailer, it is hard to gauge the film’s quality. This is directed and written by Tina Gordon Chism, who is also the screenwriter for What Men Want. If that breaks out, using that connection in marketing could help, but right now, I don’t see any reason for this to put up decent numbers. 7/16 (2.29x)

Missing Link: Laika has finally jumped ship from Focus to…. Annapurna. Welp, this is going to flop. As I have mentioned a lot with other films, families have a breadth of options to choose from. Laika has never been one of the biggest draws for families, and I doubt that changes here. Annapurna needs to get this out of April if they want any chance at a decent sized gross. 8/24 (3x)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Since when do non-Wonder Woman DC movies have 3x+ legs?*

*non-holiday

Well, since you mentioned DC...TDK? Or, yes, LEGO Batman.

Should have been pedantic enough to say DCEU, Tele! 

In all fairness, the sample size is small enough and the movies released so far had big enough openings that made great legs unlikely - Shazam might open mid-range and do 3x - thinking 65/195 myself...

Edited by reddevil19

I find it tragically funny that they went with a new set of characters for Hellboy, to try and separate it from Del Toro's version, yet Hellboy himself reminds me A LOT of Perlman's. Just...slightly more shit. And to top it off, Del Toro is an Academy Award-winning director and him actually being able to finish off the trilogy after winning the Oscar might have given it a boost. Instead, we get this crap.

Can't wait to watch it opening weekend!

April 19

Breakthrough: I can see audiences gravitating toward the film. The story has a good inspirational angle, and Chrissy Metz could bring in some of the This Is Us crowd. Faith-based films are hit and miss at the box office, but this seems like a hit, especially with it coming out on Easter. Miracles from Heaven seems like a good comparison. 15/20/60 (4x, 3x)

Penguins: The one Disney movie that deserves to make the most money, but won’t. Average numbers for Disneynature ahoy. 5/6/16 (3.2x, 2.67x)

The Curse of La Llorona: Wan da Gawd's a producer. Horror's also on a hit streak. But I don't think this will be a hit. Trailer views are exceedingly low (3.6M on WB's YouTube channel. Both Us and Pet Semetary are miles ahead of it), and it's coming out a week before the Death Star that is Endgame. Just doesn't seem like the hype is there compared to most other horror releases. 20/50 (2.5x)

• Like 3