Eric Duncan

WrathofHan and CoolEric's Controversial* Predictions of 2019 (*Controversial results may vary)

March 15

Us: I GOT FIIIIIIIVE ON IT. So obviously these predictions are inflated by the recent trailer. But I don't care, because I legit believe this will be a breakout. On Christmas, the movie was trending for a whole day and invaded people's Twitter feeds in a way that hasn't been seen since IT back in 2017. Trailer views on YouTube aren't like IT, but for a completely original horror film, the fact that it was able to approach more than 7.4M after two days is mad impressive.

Outside of that, the actual hook of evil doppelgangers is interesting and exciting, while the trailer is both scary and intriguing at the same time, with people already spouting theories about the rabbits and the kid's mask. And with Jordan Peele and the success of Get Out, the film already has appeal to more than just horror or Blumhouse fans. People into the prestige of Peele will be into it. Genre fans will be into it. Black Twitter will be into it. It just seems it will have a strong sense of four-quad appeal and bring in all types of audiences in a way few horror movies can.

Expect a JW/IO situation here with Captain Marvel and this. 80/250 (3.12x)

Wonder Park: Well, this is a long time coming, isn’t it? It was initially slated for March 2019, then moved forward to July 2018, then to August 2018, and now back to its original release date. Meanwhile, the film’s former director would later be fired from the project due to sexual misconduct, with the new director being David Feiss, the creator of Cartoon Network’s Cow and Chicken of all things. And somehow, this mess is supposed to lead into a Nickelodeon animated series later on down the road. Admittedly, the initial teaser did make things seem a touch promising quality-wise. But then trailer 2 came along and introduced the “chimpanzombies.” Yeah. Otherwise, it looks utterly generic and uninteresting. With Dumbo and Shazam coming up, as well as Captain Marvel playing next door, I could see many families saving their money for those more appealing projects. Good luck Nickelodeon on this turkey, because this probably won’t reach Jimmy Neutron levels. Even Barnyard levels feel like a stretch. 18/60 (3.33x)

• Like 9
  • Astonished 2

March 1

Tyler Perry’s A Madea Family Funeral: OH HELLUR! Tyler Perry is finally hanging up his wig and fatsuit (for now). This might as well be the Infinity War for old black women everywhere. Buzz is significantly higher for this one compared to the Boo! duology. After almost two months, the trailer has over 5M views on Lionsgate’s channel. The first Boo! only had 1.3M views after two months, and Boo 2! only has a combined total of 4.6M TODAY across the two highest viewed trailers. This thing is an EVENT! As a finale, I am predicting this to become the highest grossest Madea movie unadjusted. The forum is sleeping on this one big time. 45/100 (2.22x)

• Like 5
  • Astonished 2

March 8

Captain Marvel: This is a tough one to predict. First off, the buzz for the film is clearly here. Both trailers have amassed some of the biggest buzz for the MCU and are some of their most viewed trailers. In fact, both of the trailers have outpaced Black Panther’s trailers. Of course, Captain Marvel will not hit those highs at the box office (especially with Shazam! a month later), but despite what some in fanboy circles are saying about the trailers being meh, more casual audiences (not an insult btw) are loving the marketing. On the low end, I can see it performing around the level of Homecomingor Guardians of the Galaxy, but honestly, I think it will go significantly higher than that and be in the top five of the year. Brace yourselves. 170/510 (3x)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 4
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 2

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

March 8

Captain Marvel: This is a tough one to predict. First off, the buzz for the film is clearly here. Both trailers have amassed some of the biggest buzz for the MCU and are some of their most viewed trailers. In fact, both of the trailers have outpaced Black Panther’s trailers. Of course, Captain Marvel will not hit those highs at the box office (especially with Shazam! a month later), but despite what some in fanboy circles are saying about the trailers being meh, more casual audiences (not an insult btw) are loving the marketing. On the low end, I can see it performing around the level of Homecomingor Guardians of the Galaxy, but honestly, I think it will go significantly higher than that and be in the top five of the year. Brace yourselves. 170/510 (3x)

Now that’s bold.

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

March 8

Between this and Alita grossing 70M I never laughed so hard in my life.

15 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

February 14

Alita: Battle Angel: ……Hi Jimbo. By now, we all know what this movie is and the various delays it has had, so I will get right to the point. Alita’s biggest issue is, well, the release date changes. Audiences have been getting this trailer for over a year now, and there is a strong chance many will assume it already released by the time it hits in February because the Christmas date was kept for a while. This year+ long marketing was not a creative choice by Fox or the filmmakers, and it is not being treated like an event. I think this will outgross Ghost in the Shell and Valerian regardless of its quality, but if it wants to sniff 100M, reviews need to be great. I am optimistic on the film’s quality, but these delays have really hurt buzz. 15/20/70 (4.67x from 3 day/3.5x from 4 day)

18 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

March 1

Tyler Perry’s A Madea Family Funeral: OH HELLUR! Tyler Perry is finally hanging up his wig and fatsuit (for now). This might as well be the Infinity War for old black women everywhere. Buzz is significantly higher for this one compared to the Boo! duology. After almost two months, the trailer has over 5M views on Lionsgate’s channel. The first Boo! only had 1.3M views after two months, and Boo 2! only has a combined total of 4.6M TODAY across the two highest viewed trailers. This thing is an EVENT! As a finale, I am predicting this to become the highest grossest Madea movie unadjusted. The forum is sleeping on this one big time. 45/100 (2.22x)

Madea over Alita? :jeb!:

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Alita isn't doing 50m in total domestically. No one cares about these live action anime things. James Cameron being a producer does not sell anyone - otherwise Solaris would be the next Star Wars. The trailers are bad and greeted with stony silence every time.  Why would it pass Ghost in the Shell, which at least had a name property and A-list star? Most overpredicted movie currently on the boards.

Also I think there's a decent chance Glass finishes under Split. If reviews are bad that's where I'll mark my predictions.

Lol

11 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

March 8

Lop

March 15

Us: Oh man, what a rollercoaster ride of predictions this has been. This writeup is somewhat of a response to the gigantic predictions that have been going around, so bear with me. I waited to start this year’s edition just so I could see the trailer for Us and assess my prediction. I am glad I waited because I was originally predicting a total less than half of Get Out, but that clearly is too low. When the trailer dropped, I was going with Conjuring/Splitnumbers at 40/140. Then the trailer views started climbing a bit, and I figured a 50M OW was easily attainable. Then I saw how ticket sales were going in NYC and bumped my prediction to 65/185. Now that the dust has settled, I am going to scale that last prediction down a bit. There was a lot of buzz upfront when the trailer dropped, and the trailer is still climbing and currently at 7.5M views. The film is clearly going to be a massive hit, but I don’t know where it is going to land. This does not have as much mainstream appeal as Get Out did because it will not be bringing in many people who are not horror fans like that did. Halloween might be a decent comparison for this; that and Us are both movies that are big for fans of the genre but have little appeal to anyone else. That isn’t necessarily a knock against Us’ box office potential, but there is a roof to this type of horror movie. 200M is very much in the realm of possibility, but I am not convinced it can go that high yet. But yes, this will be big for the genre. 60/165 (2.75x)

Wonder Park: Here’s a movie I think people are sleeping on. Both trailers for this have been pretty solid, and anyone who has seen a family movie since the summer is aware of Wonder Park’s existence. Both trailers have 4M views on Paramount’s channel as well, which is higher than LEGO 2’s second trailer of 2.7M but below Dragon’ssecond of 6.4M. Again, trailer views are not the best metric for family movies, but there is clearly interest in Wonder Park. At worst, I see it performing like Smallfoot, but it can go a bit higher than that. If not for the amount of competition, I would be predicting something much bigger. 30/110 (3.67x)

• Like 5

You guys like to set yourselves for disappointment. First Mary Poppins was gonna make $500 million this December, now expecting the same for cheap Wonder Woman cosplay. If it passes $200 million it will be great for a movie Marvel was basically forced to make, yet you will be calling it a flop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1