Premium George

Thursday numbers I AM 14.5, MPR 10.2, BB/SMSV 5.8 I BY ASGUARD

15 minutes ago, Nova said:

BOT last weekend told me that Mary Poppins Returns was a bomb though :thinking:

Honestly, the wild overreactions are the most frustratingly entertaining thing about this place. Or entertainingly frustrating? 

Whatever - they're awesome!

• Like 1

There was no overreaction, a lot of people were predicting Mary Poppins to make over $500 million domestic and even suggesting Aquaman should move out of its way. The opening numbers were indeed much lower than expected. And from what I see it's still not going to do the numbers people expected from it.

• Like 13
  • Disbelief 1

45 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

Aquaman vs Jack Reacher comp:

1st Monday :-

Aquaman - 11m

Jack Reacher - 2.6m

1st Tuesday :-

Aquaman - 22.1m

Jack Reacher - 5.3m

1st Wednesday :-

Aquaman - 16.9m

Jack Reacher - 3.8m

1st Thursday :-

Aquaman - 14.5m

Jack Reacher - 3.6m

Aquaman's Wednesday was up by 53.6% w.r.t Monday. While JR's Wednesday was up by 46.2%. So Aquaman surged ahead quite a bit in the last couple of days. But after Thursday, Aquaman is up 31.8% on 1st Monday while JR is up 38.5%.  The Thu. figure is down 34.4% from CD in case Aquaman and 32% in case of JR. So the drop on Thu. has Aquaman falling slightly behind JR after 7 days.

JR's 1st Thu. was 26.5% of it's 2nd weekend. Using a similar method, Aquaman will end up with 54.7m. If we assume the percentage share to come closer to 28% and/or 30%, then Aquaman's 2nd weekend becomes 51.8m and 48.3m respectively. That's my range for the 2nd weekend (48.3-51.8)m atm.

Seems like it’s not a good comparison then, lol. Release date is the sole similarity. 

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

There was no overreaction, a lot of people were predicting Mary Poppins to make over $500 million domestic and even suggesting Aquaman should move out of its way. The opening numbers were indeed much lower than expected. And from what I see it's still not going to do the numbers people expected from it.

Exactly. 

People were quick to say it flopped, but people are also just as quick to say that it’s all resolved.

I seen a high percentage of $300m+ predictions. 

17 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Exactly. I remember when MPR was supposed to crush the other openers make over 400m

• Like 7

Crisis officially averted for MPR. Not the massive juggernaut some of us thought, but it's got a great chance now at being only the second musical to cross 200 DOM, so it's a hit in the end. Interested to see how close it gets to AQM over the 5 day frame coming up since it keeps shrinking the gap.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Exactly. I remember when MPR was supposed to crush the other openers make over 400m

Who is trying to deny that there were plenty of 400+ predictions around here? Some of our over-predictions don't change the fact that 200-225 is still objectively a good number for it. It's not like Solo where it needed to make massive bank DOM just to breakeven.

• Like 2

People did over predict MP. Disney had a heck of a year, so maybe it was justified to think that they would end the year with another 400+ domestic grosser. It seems to be doing well now after a disappointing start, but it likely won’t reach those lofty predictions.

Good thing Warner was not intimidated by Disney and left Aquaman alone in the 12/21 slot. No matter how things go from this point, (as it’s possible that MP legs out a higher domestic gross than Aquaman), Aquaman was the movie of the season. For many here, that was not the expectation. I guess that’s what makes the box office fun and keeps us all coming back here no matter how irritating it can be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mary Poppins will be at around $120M on New Year’s Day and will have no problem coming up with at least another $80M over the rest of its run to cross $200M so even if it won’t reach the highest of expectations, all that panic button pressing was for nothing (as usual). Everything seems to be rebounding now that the holiday legs are in full swing. Imagine that drops will be good for everything next weekend too given that there’s only one new release (and it’s a lame-looking PG-13 horror movie to boot).

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Those who claims it will be a smash (including me) definitely overpredict it but those who claims it’s a bomb because of the debut obviously overreact, deny this is nonsense. It’s not going to do the huge numbers people expect from it, but the movie will still be a success and this is obvious now, so it’s not going to be the disaster people say it will after the debut too.

• Like 2