Premium George

Thursday numbers I AM 14.5, MPR 10.2, BB/SMSV 5.8 I BY ASGUARD

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Yes, that's another thing - I get the choice of urinals if everyone is stuck for ten minutes watching some credit scene they can pretend to understand (the number of people who genuinely said "huh? Oh...HER!!!" after the IW Captain Marvel scene got explained by the one genuine nerd in their group made me laugh out loud)

I was pissed at BP. :lol:  Made Tele Jr stay in his seat, told him there was gonna be a neat extra scene after the credits, and what did we get? Some godforsaken thing about Sebastian Stan’s arm???? (I think, I’ve managed to block most of the trauma from my memory)

• Haha 7

https://deadline.com/2018/12/aquaman-mary-poppins-returns-bumblebee-new-years-weekend-box-office-1202526812/

Disney’s Mary Poppins Returns stayed planted in second with $10.1M, -7% from Wednesday for a running total of $70.9M. Yes, the film is ahead of The Greatest Showman by 112% in its first nine days at the B.O., but the sequel to the 1964 Oscar-winning film also cost more than the original Fox musical, $130M to $84M. United Kingdom numbers weren’t stupendous last weekend with $10.3M and industry analysts believe what was intended to be a big Disney IP play will have to rely on stateside results. Industry projections are at $25M for Poppins’ second weekend, which will float her close to the century mark.

The doc ranked 5th yesterday coming in ahead of this week’s openers Holmes & Watson from Sony ($2.4Myesterday in 7th, -29% from Wednesday for a 3-day cume of $12.4M) and Vice from Annapurna (8th place with $2.2M, -22% for a near $10M over 3-days).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

I was pissed at BP. :lol:  Made Tele Jr stay in his seat, told him there was gonna be a neat extra scene after the credits, and what did we get? Some godforsaken thing about Sebastian Stan’s arm???? (I think, I’ve managed to block most of the trauma from my memory)

Endgame’s post-credit scene should just be the Robert Redford milk scene from Winter Soldier.

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

Yes, YOURS... But what about Tele Jr?

I mean, I suppose it's best he learn to live with disappointment and his father lying to him from an early age. Good parenting!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Nova said:

If MPR makes $450M+ WW, that would be over 3x its budget. Since when does a movie making 3x its budget means it’s a failure? Oh I forgot. Once BOT deems a movie a failure, it’ll carry that failure label regardless of what the numbers say. 

1 billion or bust

Just now, MrGamer said:

Endgame’s post-credit scene should just be the Robert Redford milk scene from Winter Soldier.

I’ve seen TWS and I have no idea what you’re talking about. :lol: (Such is my general retention of said movie). That being said, I’m all in favor of completely pointless stingers that are there just as a goof — another reason why the first AVENGERS was good. 

• ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I’ve seen TWS and I have no idea what you’re talking about. :lol: (Such is my general retention of said movie). That being said, I’m all in favor of completely pointless stingers that are there just as a goof — another reason why the first AVENGERS was good. 

I'm still gunning for blooper reels to go mainstream and pop up the moment the credits starts. Would have really complemented the endings of, say, TDK and Logan.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Another big drop for Vice. It’s likely gonna top out between $40-45M at this point, which basically means it’s yet another money loser for Annapurna with that $60M budget and zero overseas prospects.

Politics are too much of a dumpster fire right now for anyone to want to actually watch films about real political figures. It's basically an open invitation for family dysfunction for the holidays.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Also, excluding The Campaign, Will Ferrell's filmography this decade has been truly atrocious. For as much flack as Sandler gets, Ferrell's stuff has been just as bad for quite some time and for some reason audiences have been giving him a pass until now.

That new movie he's going to make with Van Sant sounds like it has potential.

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I'm still gunning for blooper reels to go mainstream and pop up the moment the credits starts. Would have really complemented the endings of, say, TDK and Logan.

"He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector, a Dark Knight"

cut to: credits

*how you like me now starts blaring* 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

59 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Considerings its way more than 2.5x its budget I dont see a reason for concern. MPR was never going to be big OS outside of a handful of territories. If you were expecting more than 600m WW (400/200) then obviously you were set for disappointment. As it stands from returns OS looks to be doing just fine. 

People can feel disappointed. To be fair, it has missed expectations both in the US and even here in the U.K. so far. Maybe it can rebound. 

55 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

I really hate this attitude of "People had higher expectations, so its gross is automatically disappointing."

As the guy who did the 400M club for Poppins, I didn't think it was definitely going to do it no matter what. It seemed like a longshot, where everything had to go right. But it's still one of the highest-grossing musicals ever, is seeing great legs and word of mouth, and will be profitable in the end. Could it have done better? Sure. But we shouldn't disparage a $200M+ grosser because of a couple overambitious predictions.

People here thought Deadpool 2 was going to increase from its predecessor and make over $150M on its OW. It didn't. But are we really going to argue that it didn't have an impressive run either way?

People were also spouting that Aquaman would cross $400M and be a mini-Jurassic World. That doesn't seem like it's happening either, yet y'all are silent and aren't talking about people overestimating it. HMMMMMMMMM.

Hmm I don’t remember seeing that many $400m predictions for Aquaman. Everywhere I read it’s getting positive headlines. 

And I still find Deadpool 2’s decrease very surprising, tbh. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

That new movie he's going to make with Van Sant sounds like it has potential.

he's doing a force majeure remake with julia louis dreyfus. that's... weird casting but maybe they're doing something different w/ it. could be good i don't know. there's a lot of potential there.

• Like 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

he's doing a force majeure remake with julia louis dreyfus. that's... weird casting but maybe they're doing something different w/ it. could be good i don't know. there's a lot of potential there.

I feel like that's gonna go the way of the Toni Erdmann remake w/ Nicholson & Wiig tbh, and just never really come into fruition 

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Are those going to be traditional Will Ferrell movies, though?