Premium George

Thursday numbers I AM 14.5, MPR 10.2, BB/SMSV 5.8 I BY ASGUARD

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

I feel like that's gonna go the way of the Toni Erdmann remake w/ Nicholson & Wiig tbh, and just never really come into fruition 

seems to be much closer to production than that movie has ever been. they've just filled out the supporting cast i imagine it starts filming pretty soon. 

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

seems to be much closer to production than that movie has ever been. they've just filled out the supporting cast i imagine it starts filming pretty soon. 

Damn.

I don't really know how well it's gonna translate domestically to be honest. The original felt so idiosyncratic to me, and the humour felt a lot more dry than Ferral's usual output.

Ferrell, like Sandler, has simply aged out of his material. Except Ferrell’s upcoming output sounds like a change of pace while Sandler has retreated to Netflix to make the same crap he always makes but now nobody will venture out to the theater to see anymore.

Edited by filmlover

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

My point was just that his movies in general have been terrible this decade. I don't think he has to do some indie or drama to fix that, it would be nice if he just did half ways decent comedies again.

can't hurt. john c reilly balances indie stuff with comedy pretty well but he's never had the burden of being a star i guess.

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

probably not and isn't that the point?

Most likely. We’re showing interest in those for the same reason we would show interest in anything Adam Sandler does these days: they’re not in the mold of what they usually do. So my question is: Are people going to be more cautious about typical Will Ferrell movies going forward, particularly if McKay isn’t the director?

Just now, filmlover said:

Ferrell, like Sandler, has simply aged out of his material. Except Ferrell’s upcoming output sound like a change of pace while Sandler has retreated to Netflix to make the same crap he always makes but now nobody will venture out to the theater to see anymore.

sandler had the noah baumbach movie meyerowitz stories last year (which he's great in) and he's got the safdie brothers movie Uncut Gems next year.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

Disney’s Mary Poppins Returns stayed planted in second with $10.1M, -7% from Wednesday for a running total of $70.9M. Yes, the film is ahead of The Greatest Showman by 112% in its first nine days at the B.O., but the sequel to the 1964 Oscar-winning film also cost more than the original Fox musical, $130M to $84M. United Kingdom numbers weren’t stupendous last weekend with $10.3M and industry analysts believe what was intended to be a big Disney IP play will have to rely on stateside results.

Sounds like Deadline was also influenced by BOT unrealistic expectations! :sparta:

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Ferrell, like Sandler, has simply aged out of his material. Except Ferrell’s upcoming output sounds like a change of pace while Sandler has retreated to Netflix to make the same crap he always makes but now nobody will venture out to the theater to see anymore.

Sandler's working with the guys who made Good Time on a crime drama w/ A24, so he's differentiating too. Although at the same time he's doing another Netflix movie with the creator of Workaholics directing it. :gold: 

I've also said this before, but I hope McKay comes back to comedies again. Another Ferrell-McKay joint is long overdue at this point.

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

sandler had the noah baumbach movie meyerowitz stories last year (which he's great in) and he's got the safdie brothers movie Uncut Gems next year.

The thing about Sandler is that after he does movies like those, he always retreats back to his normal stuff.

11 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Sandler's working with the guys who made Good Time on a crime drama w/ A24, so he's differentiating too. Although at the same time he's doing another Netflix movie with the creator of Workaholics directing it. :gold: 

He also had the stand up show on Netflix recently that made a lot of people cry