Premium George

Thursday numbers I AM 14.5, MPR 10.2, BB/SMSV 5.8 I BY ASGUARD

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

MPR is lacking a strong enough central plot for a BP nom. If that aspect were a little more formidable, I actually think it would get nommed. It’s a huge production that excels in all its production values and the performances. The Academy definitely goes for that sort of thing.

it has more of a plot than the original, it has that through-line of trying to save the house, and that... makes it worse i think?

2 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

https://deadline.com/2018/12/aquaman-mary-poppins-returns-bumblebee-new-years-weekend-box-office-1202526812/

Warners also had success last night with Peter Jackson’s WWI documentary They Shall Not Grow Old which broke another Fathom Events record with $3.375M from around 1,000 theaters off two showtimes yesterday to become the company’s best single-day ever for a documentary, and one of the top-grossing single-night presentations of any kind for Fathom. Yesterday’s tally for They Shall Not Grow Old breaks the $2.3M Fathom record earned from the doc’s Dec. 17 showing. The pic will be released in limited engagement on Jan. 11 in New York, Los Angeles and Washington DC with a further expansion on Feb. 1.

This could be another surprise hit documentary to watch out for.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

it has more of a plot than the original, it has that through-line of trying to save the house, and that... makes it worse i think?

Aside from the 60's being a much different time in what was nominated, the big edge the original had over MPR for awards was being very innovative for the time.

21 minutes ago, Nova said:

If MPR makes $450M+ WW, that would be over 3x its budget. Since when does a movie making 3x its budget means it’s a failure? Oh I forgot. Once BOT deems a movie a failure, it’ll carry that failure label regardless of what the numbers say. 

Sincre genre-franchise changed expectation, if the next infinity war movie make 3 times it's rumored budget it will be one of the biggest failure of all time, or if Glass make 60m WW next year.

There is a direct and an opportunity cost at burning a franchise entry that make 3x it's budget possible failure, let alone the participation deal structure that can be in place.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Telemachos said:

Hey, I got all the way through! Even scanned through the credits to see if there was an end-credit stinger.

I'm done letting studios dictate when to finish watching a movie. They can fuck right off with that shit. I've seen Aquaman twice and Into The Spiderverse thrice in cinemas. Didn't stick around once the credits started for a single one of those viewings. Not even the majesty that was Venom could make me stay. I am my own man, damn it!

So I just google what the scene is as I walk to my car...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Somebody should start a They Shall Not Grow Old > Mortal Engines club. It’s already over a third of the way there and hasn’t even officially opened yet!

At this point, I’d be more surprised if it doesn’t happen. Assuming it gets some decent theater counts and manages to run for more than a few weeks (which seems highly likely).

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

I'm done letting studios dictate when to finish watching a movie. They can fuck right off with that shit. I've seen Aquaman twice and Into The Spiderverse thrice in cinemas. Didn't stick around once the credits started for a single one of those viewings. Not even the majesty that was Venom could make me stay. I am my own man, damn it!

So I just google what the scene is as I walk to my car...

When I saw Into the Spider-Verse, I had a whole swig of water and really really needed to pee after the movie was over. But I basically forced myself to stay though the credits just so I can watch the post-credits scene, and it felt like absolute torture. That was a bad mistake on my part. :lol:

• Like 1

One week totals of DCEU films:

MoS: $168.79M

BvS: $209.07M

SS: $179.10M

WW: $147.82M

JL: $130.81M

AQM: $137.42M

Aquaman opened lower than JL but has already surpassed its one week total.

Edited by Heat Vision
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

DECEASED @ Holmes and Watson's 30% drop :hahaha: 

I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen a movie completely rejected by audiences in this manner. Like I mean I’ve seen films rejected by audiences by just being completely ignored. This is on a whole other level. It’s so so bad that even media outlets are reporting on the walk outs for the film. This is a public shaming at this point lmfao 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen a movie completely rejected by audiences in this manner. Like I mean I’ve seen films rejected by audiences by just being completely ignored. This is on a whole other level. It’s so so bad that even media outlets are reporting on the walk outs for the film. This is a public shaming at this point lmfao 

All Eyez on Me is the last time this happened. That shit collapsed HARD after its opening day.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

When I saw Into the Spider-Verse, I had a whole swig of water and really really needed to pee after the movie was over. But I basically forced myself to stay though the credits just so I can watch the post-credits scene, and it felt like absolute torture. That was a bad mistake on my part. :lol:

Yes, that's another thing - I get the choice of urinals if everyone is stuck for ten minutes watching some credit scene they can pretend to understand (the number of people who genuinely said "huh? Oh...HER!!!" after the IW Captain Marvel scene got explained by the one genuine nerd in their group made me laugh out loud)

• Haha 1