Premium George

Thursday numbers I AM 14.5, MPR 10.2, BB/SMSV 5.8 I BY ASGUARD

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

I really hate this attitude of "People had higher expectations, so its gross is automatically disappointing."

As the guy who did the 400M club for Poppins, I didn't think it was definitely going to do it no matter what. It seemed like a longshot, where everything had to go right. But it's still one of the highest-grossing musicals ever, is seeing great legs and word of mouth, and will be profitable in the end. Could it have done better? Sure. But we shouldn't disparage a $200M+ grosser because of a couple overambitious predictions.

People here thought Deadpool 2 was going to increase from its predecessor and make over $150M on its OW. It didn't. But are we really going to argue that it didn't have an impressive run either way?

People were also spouting that Aquaman would cross $400M and be a mini-Jurassic World. That doesn't seem like it's happening either, yet y'all are silent and aren't talking about people overestimating it. HMMMMMMMMM.

Dont speak too much truth - they cant handle it. I would say that the MPR people have been far more gracious in their "defeat" than the Aquabros. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Nova said:

If MPR makes $450M+ WW, that would be over 3x its budget. Since when does a movie making 3x its budget means it’s a failure? Oh I forgot. Once BOT deems a movie a failure, it’ll carry that failure label regardless of what the numbers say. 

Even $ 500M doesn’t seem out of question... it seems to have great WOM across the europe and Japan / Australia could surprise (especially Japan, since they’re love Disney musicais). 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

MPR is lacking a strong enough central plot for a BP nom. If that aspect were a little more formidable, I actually think it would get nommed. It’s a huge production that excels in all its production values and the performances. The Academy definitely goes for that sort of thing.

Edited by MovieMan89

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

:lol: well shit, I thought you might’ve used your original account or something

Completely forgot logins and can't get it to bloody work. I just assumed you guys locked me out. :ph34r:

Gave up for a while, but I can't stay away from this place. And as I am currently bored at work, I actually post a bit, rather than just lurk.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Even $ 500M doesn’t seem out of question... it seems to have great WOM across the europe and Japan / Australia could surprise (especially Japan, since they’re love Disney musicais). 

I have no idea where MPR is gonna end up. The next several weeks are dead which means all films are going to benefit. So who really

knows to be honest. My point is that it’s weird to see some folks claim MPR is a failure when it’s most likely going to make over 3x its budget or that “it’s not what’s disney wanted,” as if these posters are chilling in internal meetings at Disney studios. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Completely forgot logins and can't get it to bloody work. I just assumed you guys locked me out. :ph34r:

Gave up for a while, but I can't stay away from this place. And as I am currently bored at work, I actually post a bit, rather than just lurk.

Not that it really matters, but if you PM @grim22 or @Water Bottle I’m sure they can reset your login and password. When the forum software got upgraded a year or so ago, a lot of the accounts ended up having login issues. It’s pretty easy to fix... if you want. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, estebanJ said:

Mary Poppins is showing early Jumanji/Greatest Showman type legs, and deservedly so, good movie.

Aquaman is roaring like Wonder Woman, heading to somewhere between $300m - $400m DOM with $1B WW in the bag. And having seen it I am mystified.

AQM is a perfect case of right place, right time. The CBM craze has escalated into a full blown phenomenon that can't be stopped since 2018 first started and there was clearly no other movie released this Christmas that had massive appeal like the SW films of the past few years. It doesn't hurt either that it's a movie that demands to be watched on the big screen or else why even bother with it?

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Not that it really matters, but if you PM @grim22 or @Water Bottle I’m sure they can reset your login and password. When the forum software got upgraded a year or so ago, a lot of the accounts ended up having login issues. It’s pretty easy to fix... if you want. 

Pfff... So much effort. :P 

I will do that, if only cause I have a fetish for the number 18. Using 19 instead is actually the kind of breakthrough that would normally require years of therapy. Never thought I could (one of the reasons I didn't post for a long time, actually)

Edited by reddevil19
  • Like 1

https://deadline.com/2018/12/aquaman-mary-poppins-returns-bumblebee-new-years-weekend-box-office-1202526812/

Warners also had success last night with Peter Jackson’s WWI documentary They Shall Not Grow Old which broke another Fathom Events record with $3.375M from around 1,000 theaters off two showtimes yesterday to become the company’s best single-day ever for a documentary, and one of the top-grossing single-night presentations of any kind for Fathom. Yesterday’s tally for They Shall Not Grow Old breaks the $2.3M Fathom record earned from the doc’s Dec. 17 showing. The pic will be released in limited engagement on Jan. 11 in New York, Los Angeles and Washington DC with a further expansion on Feb. 1.

• Like 2