The Panda

Best Picture Predictions - 2019

Fun fact since 1981 no best picture winner missed an editing nomination (with the exception of Birdman cus it was made to look like one take). 

roma missed that last year and If Parasite is to win it needs to get that (it already missed editing for the BAFTAs which is weird because the film has some of the best editing of the year).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RealLyre said:

Fun fact since 1981 no best picture winner missed an editing nomination (with the exception of Birdman cus it was made to look like one take). 

roma missed that last year and If Parasite is to win it needs to get that (it already missed editing for the BAFTAs which is weird because the film has some of the best editing of the year).

Interesting fact

My Editing predictions:

Ford v Ferrari

Irishman

Once upon a time in Hollywood

Parasite

Joker

alt. JoJo Rabbit

17 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Parasite will win Best Picture.

You read it first here.

I have seen it written in many places since like a month or more. It's a possibility, but if Ang Lee's Croaching tiger, Hidden dragon didn't with juggernaut BO, Globe win for Lee, DGA win and 4 Oscars, I am cautious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Number of nominations for all my BP nominee predictions  -

OUATIH: 12 (Picture, Director, Actor, Supp. Actor, Original Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing, Makeup, both Sounds, Costume Design, Production Design)

Joker: 11 (Picture, Director, Actor, Score, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing, Makeup, both Sounds, Production design)

The Irishman: 9 (Picture, Director, Supp. Actor x 2, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing, Production Design, Visual Effects)

1917: 8 (Picture, Director, Cinematography, Score, Production Design, both Sounds, Visual Effects)

Parasite: 7 (Picture, Director, Supp. Actor, Original Screenplay, Editing, Foreign Film, Production Design)

Little Women: 6 (Picture, Actress, Supp. Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Costumes, Score)

Marriage Story: 5 (Picture, Actor, Actress, Supp. Actress, Original Screenplay)

Jojo Rabbit: 5 (Picture, Supporting Actress, Adapted Screenplay, Costume, Score)

Alt to Little Women/9th nominee- Knives Out: 2 (Picture, Original Screenplay)

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Astonished 1

On 1/8/2020 at 6:28 PM, stripe said:

I have seen it written in many places since like a month or more. It's a possibility, but if Ang Lee's Croaching tiger, Hidden dragon didn't with juggernaut BO, Globe win for Lee, DGA win and 4 Oscars, I am cautious.

I have actually been suspecting Oscar made a mistake on vote count for best director category.

It is the year when steven soderbergh nominated for both Traffic & Erin in the same year. Ang lee won GG, DGA, BAFTA and independent spirit for best director but somehow lose to Steven in the Oscar, who so happened got nominated for his both movies.

I have been thinking the accountant sum up the vote for steven without knowing that was actually for two different movies. 

final Oscar nomination predictions 

Best Picture 

1. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

2. Parasite

3. The Irishman

4. Joker

5. Jojo Rabbit

6. Marriage Story

7. 1917

8. Little Women

9. Knives Out

10. Ford v Ferrari (assuming they go for 10 but it's prolly 9 or 8 noms again)

Best Director 

1. Sam Mendes 

2. Martin Scorsese

3. Bong Joon-Ho

4. Quentin Tarantino 

5. Greta Gerwig

Best Actor

1. Joaquin Phoenix

2. Adam Driver

3. Leonardo DiCaprio

4. Taron Egerton 

5. Antonio Banderas

Best Actress 

1. Renée Zellweger

2. Charlize Theron 

3. Scarlett Johansson 

4. Saoirse Ronan

5. Awkwafina 

Best Supporting Actor

1. Brad Pitt

2. Al Pacino

3. Joe Pesci

4. Tom Hanks

5. Song Kang-Ho

Best Supporting Actress

1. Laura Dern

2. Jennifer Lopez

3. Florence Pugh

4. Margot Robbie

5. Scarlett Johansson 

Best Original Screenplay 

1. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

2. Parasite

3. Marriage Story

4. Knives Out

5. The Farewell

Best Adapted Screenplay

1. The Irishman

2. Joker

3. Jojo Rabbit

4. The Two Popes

5. Little Women

Technical Categories 

Spoiler

Cinematography

1. 1917

2. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

3. The Irishman

4. Joker

5. The Lighthouse

Costume Design 

1. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

2. Little Women

3. Rocketman

4. Jojo Rabbit

5. The Irishman

Production Design 

2. The Irishman

3. 1917

4. Jojo Rabbit

5. Little Women

Editing

2. The Irishman

3. Ford v Ferrari

4. Joker

5. Parasite ! 

Makeup and Hairstyling 

1. Joker

2. Bombshell

3. Judy

4. Rocketman

5. Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

Score

1. Joker

2. 1917

3. Marriage Story

4. Little Women

5. Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

Song

1. I'm Gonna Love Me Again - Rocketman

2. Into The Unknown - Frozen II

3. Spirit - The Lion King

4. Glasgow - Wild Rose

5. A Glass of Soju - Parasite

Visual Effects

1. Avengers Endgame

2. The Irishman

3. The Lion King

4. 1917

5. Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker

Documentary Feature

1. For Sama

2. Apollo 11

3. American Factory

4. Honeyland 

5. One Child Nation 

Best Animated Feature

1. Toy Story 4

2. Frozen II

3. Klaus

4. Missing Link

5. Weathering With You ( won't get in but I'll keep it as a dark horse)

Best International Feature

1. Parasite

2. Pain & Glory

3. Les Miserables 

4. Atlantics 

5. Beanpole 

38 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Parasite: 7 (Picture, Director, Cinematography, Original Screenplay, Editing, Foreign Film, Production Design)

would love to see it but I don't think it's happening, it already missed the BAFTA and ASC. 

last year Cold War and Never Look Away broke into cinematography because the DoPs were veterans and Cold War hit multiple precursors as well (Never Look Away's DoP had 6 cinematography nominations).

though I think Parasite has good chances of scoring a supporting actor nomination for Song Kang-Ho like how Roma did last year in supporting actress in addition to BA (and an outside chance of an original song nom). 

16 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

would love to see it but I don't think it's happening, it already missed the BAFTA and ASC. 

last year Cold War and Never Look Away broke into cinematography because the DoPs were veterans and Cold War hit multiple precursors as well (Never Look Away's DoP had 6 cinematography nominations).

though I think Parasite has good chances of scoring a supporting actor nomination for Song Kang-Ho like how Roma did last year in supporting actress in addition to BA (and an outside chance of an original song nom). 

Yeah, I guess you're right about Parasite. FvF is probably getting the spot I put Parasite down for. Lol, I forgot about Song Kang-ho. I just said a few hours ago that he was a lock for supporting actor and have him down on my list. Don't know how I missed him. Also removed Robbie from OUATIH and put her down for Bombshell (she's great in both movies and is the best part of the latter but liked her more in OUATIH). Joker's gonna lead the noms I guess then and twitter is gonna explode.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Astonished 1

Feels like one of the potential weirdest days for noms in years, given the uncertainty ii the fifth spot for Director and the Supporting Categories and both of the final two spots in Actor and Actress. Picture is the only thing that doesn't feel like there's much wild potential. 

I don't have a no guts no glory prediction but if I did it'd be something like Pedro Almodovar in Director - they love their foreign director choices and the same smart people that were buzzing about Pawel last year are suddenly saying to watch out for Pedro this time...they could just be trying to catch the same prediction lightning again though.

I think my actual no guts no glory prediction might be Tom Hanks missing it instead of Hopkins - really seems like a lack of momentum, but I said the same thing about Duvall in 2014 and he kept showing up everywhere too. Just Mercy seemed to get a blast of positive buzz justttt before nominations ended so I'm very tempted to put Foxx in there tbh.

4 minutes ago, Eric Dolittle said:

The PGA awards feel about right for BP, with the only two ones outside looking in being Little Women and Ford v Ferrari. Maybe they both get snubbed, maybe LW gets in since it came out later and there’s not much passion for FvF I dunno

I think if Mangold or Gerwig gets in the last Director spot instead of Philips, then FvF or Little Women gets into BP respectively. Mangold could get in if FvF gets a lot of techie noms (although Mendes already looks like the techie Best Director nom) and Gerwig could get in because Little Women has been getting a lot of love and Gerwig's snub in the Globes and BAFTAs has been getting backlash.

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think my actual no guts no glory prediction might be Tom Hanks missing it instead of Hopkins - really seems like a lack of momentum, but I said the same thing about Duvall in 2014 and he kept showing up everywhere too. Just Mercy seemed to get a blast of positive buzz justttt before nominations ended so I'm very tempted to put Foxx in there tbh.

I can see this happening after Hanks missed with Captain Phillips, Saving Mr Banks, The Post and others since Castaway.