The Panda

Best Picture Predictions - 2019

19 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

so now the race is between 1917, Hollywood and Parasite.

I said it on the GG thread but I think 1917 isn't a frontrunner unless it gets a screenplay or acting nom and it won't get either of them. Without those and a probable BAFTA Best Picture win (no film that won the BAFTA has won Best Picture at the Oscars since 2013), I don't think its a frontrunner yet.

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I said it on the GG thread but I think 1917 isn't a frontrunner unless it gets a screenplay or acting nom and it won't get either of them. Without those and a probable BAFTA Best Picture win (no film that won the BAFTA has won Best Picture at the Oscars since 2013), I don't think its a frontrunner yet.

ye I guess but I'm still rooting for it cus 1917 has a better chance of dethroning Hollywood over Parasite (which prolly won't get director now). 

Irishman needs to make a comeback with a PGA win or a SAG ensemble to makeup for the globes loss but it still feels too optimistic to predict it  would get either of those. 

OUATIH is the most PGA-y film ever and I think after the globes sweep it'll probably win there (ala Green Book of last year) and I think Parasite could win the SAG ensemble  

Something to keep in mind about the Globes, in the last 10 years, only 5 times has it predicted BP. So, that means there is only a 50% chance that OUATIH or 1917 end up as this years winner. Also, if you go back to just the past 5 years, the Globes has only been right 2 times, last year with Green Book and 2016 with Moonlight.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RealLyre said:

Irishman needs to make a comeback with a PGA win or a SAG ensemble to makeup for the globes loss but it still feels too optimistic to predict it  would get either of those. 

Or it can do what Spotlight did. No Golden Globes wins but it won BP when it got back into the race with it's WGA win. I would still put it above 1917 at this stage because The Irishman has greater chance at winning the Adapted Screenplay award at the Oscars than 1917's chance of even getting an Original Screenplay nom. Same with editing. 

Edited by lorddemaxus

10 hours ago, RealLyre said:

so now the race is between 1917, Hollywood and Parasite.

Whoever get screenplay win, won the Oscar race. 

That is how Argo, moonlight, spotlight , and especially GB won the race. And given that 1917 is very unlikely to even got nominated for screenplay, i would say 1917 wining the GG actually boost the chance for parasite or even Hollywood

21 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Or it can do what Spotlight did. No Golden Globes wins but it won BP when it got back into the race with it's WGA win. I would still put it above 1917 at this stage because The Irishman has greater chance at winning the Adapted Screenplay award at the Oscars than 1917's chance of even getting an Original Screenplay nom. Same with editing. 

Spotlight won SAG ensemble. a lone WGA win won't do much.

Edited by RealLyre

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think The Irishman could get a PGA win. It's dead if it doesn't win PGA. And I'd still put it above 1917 even if it doesn't win PGA.

I agree with 1917 not being a true BP contender (it likely won't get anything above the line besides director). but Irishman still needs to recover with the guilds to makeup for the globes loss, otherwise OUATIH or Parasite will win picture. 

17 hours ago, RealLyre said:

I agree with 1917 not being a true BP contender (it likely won't get anything above the line besides director). but Irishman still needs to recover with the guilds to makeup for the globes loss, otherwise OUATIH or Parasite will win picture. 

Irishman is in weaker position than most think. 1917 peaks at the right momentum, as Bafta noms are proving this morning (nommed over Marriage Story). 1917 has possibly Cinematography, Sound and Score

My guesses at this moment.

Fighting for gold

1. Once upon a time in Hollywood (frontrunner)

2. Parasite (potential spoiler)

3. Irishman (falling)

4. 1917 (rising... and watch out)

Sure to be nommed

5. Joker

6. Marriage Story

7. JoJo Rabbit

Really likely

8. Little Women

9. Ford v Ferrari

Possible surprises

10. Farewell

11. Knives Out

12. The Two Popes

I am thinking PGA top 10 will be completed with Knives Out.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/producers-guild-film-tv-nominations-1917-the-irishman-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-parasite-1202823279/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Darryl F. Zanuck Award for Outstanding Producer of Theatrical Motion Pictures

Producers: Sam Mendes, Pippa Harris, Jayne‐Ann Tenggren, Callum McDougall

Ford v Ferrari
Producers: Peter Chernin & Jenno Topping, James Mangold

The Irishman
Producers: Jane Rosenthal & Robert De Niro, Emma Tillinger Koskoff & Martin Scorsese

Jojo Rabbit
Producers: Carthew Neal, Taika Waititi

Joker
Producers: Todd Phillips & Bradley Cooper, Emma Tillinger Koskoff

Knives Out
Producers: Rian Johnson, Ram Bergman

Little Women
Producer: Amy Pascal

Marriage Story
Producers: Noah Baumbach, David Heyman

Once Upon a Time in… Hollywood
Producers: David Heyman, Shannon McIntosh, Quentin Tarantino

Parasite
Producers: Kwak Sin Ae, Bong Joon Ho

The Award for Outstanding Producer of Animated Theatrical Motion Pictures

Abominable
Producer: Suzanne Buirgy

Frozen II
Producer: Peter Del Vecho

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
Producers: Bradford Lewis, Bonnie Arnold

Missing Link
Producers: Arianne Sutner, Travis Knight

Toy Story 4
Producers: Mark Nielsen, Jonas Rivera

10 minutes ago, nghtvsn said:

I still don't see a Little Women BP nod. If that's on a voter's list it's probably 7-10. 

7- 10 is not bad considering that number of nominees is usually 8-9. 

we'll get a better Guild picture in a couple of hours (PGA and DGA).