grim22

Ghostbusters: Afterlife | November 19 2021 | Sony | Delayed again

13 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It can be funny and scary - if you haven't watched the 1st Ghostbusters in awhile, try another watch - some of that Zuul stuff is freaky stuff, even for an adult:)...

I didn’t say it couldn’t be scary too? I’m just baffled by people debating the comedy question on AL. 

Was never a Ghostbusters fan despite loving Bill Murray. Prefer Caddyshack, Stripes (probably) and Meatballs. I used to love Reitman but he hasn’t made a worthwhile film until Young Adult. The trailers for this are bad and boring. Are people seriously never going to stop dwelling on the past? Can’t we move on from the nostalgia?

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Treating the original Ghostbusters with any significant kind of reverence is an odd choice. This isn’t Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. It’s a bunch of SNL guys as ghost exterminators, who just so happen to end up saving the world. 

Yeah, the logo and theme song has done a lot of heavy lifting lol. The memories and nostalgia stem from that. Has anyone watched the movie again recently? It’s not great. There’s a reason the sequel failed and they’ve been struggling for a 3rd film for decades 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Has anyone watched the movie again recently? It’s not great.

v13uz0C.gif

(and, yes I have)

((also could have gone with the "that's, like your opinion, man" gif, but decided to stick with a BOT Classic instead))

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Yeah, the logo and theme song has done a lot of heavy lifting lol. The memories and nostalgia stem from that. Has anyone watched the movie again recently? It’s not great. There’s a reason the sequel failed and they’ve been struggling for a 3rd film for decades 

The reason the sequel failed is simple: it was an inferior movie, and everyone involved ultimately knew that.  The original is a classic, don't let your post-post-post modern brain tell you otherwise.  😁 The reason the new one is leaning so heavily into nostalgia  for the original film should be obvious to everyone here: they are clearly attempting to steer audiences clear of any perception that this movie has anything to do with the last one.  

Edited by Macleod

5 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

On the contrary, the original has aged like a fine wine because it has actual jokes, and those jokes are funny. So much better than the post-Apatow improv comedy hellscape we have now.

ETA - yes, Murray did impovise a lot of his lines but again: actual jokes, not filler non-sequiturs.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

On the contrary, the original has aged like a fine wine because it has actual jokes, and those jokes are funny. So much better than the post-Apatow improv comedy hellscape we have now.

ETA - yes, Murray did impovise a lot of his lines but again: actual jokes, not filler non-sequiturs.

I mean even if we put aside the comedy, it’s (still) an inspired sci-fi concept and going the Alien/Robocop route of taking something impossible and designing gadgets with their own logic that it all seems tech plausible. Like SW and Jaws, this is one of those blockbusters that subsequent wannabes took influence and cues from.

I don't know how many times I can repeat this, but the movie is filled with comedy.  It's funny, heartwarming, thrilling, nostalgic and will appeal to young and old.  

This is not a movie that jaded film twitter top critics will like, it was made to be seen in a theater with an audience.  It plays fantastic in that format.  It was not made for a critics screening at 10am screening with 5 other local critics in the theater.  

Trust me on this one, the WOM is going to be huge.  

Edited by EmpireCity
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I don't know how many times I can repeat this, but the movie is filled with comedy.  It's funny, heartwarming, thrilling, nostalgic and will appeal to young and old.  

This is not a movie that jaded film twitter top critics will like, it was made to be seen in a theater with an audience.  It plays fantastic in that format.  It was not made for a critics screening at 10am screening with 5 other local critics in the theater.  

Trust me on this one, the WOM is going to be huge.  

I have no interest whatsoever in seeing this movie but I've always said that doing a Stranger Things twist on the franchise makes as much financial sense as any other angle. And I'm going to assume, at the very least, that it's not the trainwreck the 2016 attempt was.

Edited by Hatebox

Main problem I have with this movie is that it seems to be using the exact same monsters/creatures the first movie did. The cartoons created a variety of new  antagonists for the Ghostbusters to fight, why can’t a big budget Hollywood movie?

Edited by John Marston

19 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

It can be funny and scary - if you haven't watched the 1st Ghostbusters in awhile, try another watch - some of that Zuul stuff is freaky stuff, even for an adult:)...

That is the genius of the film;it plays the horror elemtnes pretty straight, and lets the comedy arise from the way the charecters react to it. Even the funnier supernatural  stuff like the Sta Puft Marshmellow Man happens because of Dan Ackroyd's reaction to the supernatural.

And Ghostbusters was one of the first films to go full Lovecraft in it's horror. Granted, it did not use Lovecraft's name for his demonic creations (Lovecraft was still in copyright at the time) but the whole evil cult opening up a gateway to cause the end of the world is pure Lovecraft. He created that whole plotline. Josh Whedon was honest enough to admit the climax for almost every season of the show was stolen from Lovecraft.

• Like 1