grim22

Ghostbusters: Afterlife | November 19 2021 | Sony | Delayed again

1 hour ago, wintersoldier2021 said:

Am I understanding correctly that there is someone here who has seen the film? Look I'm not asking for plot details or anything like that could someone just give me a rough percentage (not counting ramis stock footage) of how much of the movie the OG busters are in?

I believe EmpireCity saw it...now if you want Clifford early info, I'll have that for you Saturday (I know everyone's DYING to know how good that movie is:)...

9 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

I heard there was a screening at a con a while back and everyone walked out of it.

Not from quality - just b/c they were bitter that Clifford was the movie they got from Paramount...they didn't stay more than 5 minutes...

Now, that said, it still may be terrible, but I'm going with an open mind - I'm hoping it reminds me of past family live action movies, but I do have the "lame' meter ready:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

4 hours ago, wintersoldier2021 said:

Am I understanding correctly that there is someone here who has seen the film? Look I'm not asking for plot details or anything like that could someone just give me a rough percentage (not counting ramis stock footage) of how much of the movie the OG busters are in?

@EmpireCity has seen it

12 hours ago, wintersoldier2021 said:

I've seen it, and think this will be a film where the RT Top Critics overly harsh annoyance with nostalgia will differ greatly from what the actual general audience reaction will be.  It also plays so much better in a crowd and not in a 10am critics screening with maybe 5 people in attendance.  

Unfortunately I do respect the spirit of early access screenings and can't give you a percentage, but it has leaked that the original cast is in the movie.  The only thing I will say is they are in it for a very short amount of time and the movie is almost entirely on the shoulders of the new cast.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, poweranimals said:

I heard there was a screening at a con a while back and everyone walked out of it.

There was, but as Misfits pointed out it wasn't due to quality, it was because it was at CinemaCon where the thousands of people there range in ages from like 25-70 years old.  

Paramount had also blocked out a 3 hour window for their presentation, and then at the last minute that changed to a shorter window.  The rumor (now pretty much confirmed) is because they were going to show Top Gun: Maverick in full, but then they got spooked by Delta in the week leading up to the presentation and decided to throw in Clifford at the last minute and only showed the first 13 minutes of Top Gun: Maverick instead.  

When they announced Clifford was going to screen during their presentation, there was an audible grumble.  It's Las Vegas and there was better shit to go do.  

I need this film to have the spirit of the original.  What I didn't like about the last one is that I didn't find it funny and I didn't feel like it paid respects to the 1984 film.  That's just how I felt, if you didn't, no worries.  I have no problem if the original cast is here just for support, I just need this to be funny and I need it to know where it came from.  

From what @EmpireCity has said, it sounds like it's going to be funny.  So I'm interested for sure.

Didn't particularly want a Spielberg-influenced sequel. Until I saw those trailers and realized yes I do, as a matter of fact.

But not getting the sense anyone else is. Answer the Call (and the stomach-churning debates it spawned) left it's damage.

Closer we're getting to the release, the harder I'm finding this to perform.

Edited by filmnerdjamie

18 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Reviews have a few eyebrow raising suggestions of what happens in the story. Not sure how audiences will respond to a Ghostbusters that is seemingly not a comedy.

If it's not a comedy this film will not work, period.

44 minutes ago, dudalb said:

If it's not a comedy this film will not work, period.

It sounds like they want to get the Stranger Things crowd, but that crowd is also too young for the nostalgia baiting of the original movie. And the nostalgia half may be too old for the Stranger Things/Kid Ghostbusters angle.

Kinda reminds me of Harley Quinn where it advertised going after teenage girls but then only started promoting that it was a hard R at the last minute. Mixed signals can backfire. They're overcorrecting for 2016 by trying to do a Force Awakens on this but the tones just feel so...mismatched.

Edited by SpiderByte

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Reviews have a few eyebrow raising suggestions of what happens in the story. Not sure how audiences will respond to a Ghostbusters that is seemingly not a comedy.

I mean, EmpireCity has seen it and thinks it is a comedy, so let's not get too far down that track.  

Also, if it has to be said, humor is a pretty wide category so what's humor for one person might not be for another.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I mean, EmpireCity has seen it and thinks it is a comedy, so let's not get too far down that track.  

Also, if it has to be said, humor is a pretty wide category so what's humor for one person might not be for another.

Maybe but the ads have been leaning heavily into the "sacred legacy of these ghost exterminators" Force Awakens tone