grim22

Ghostbusters: Afterlife | November 19 2021 | Sony | Delayed again

46 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The criticisms against TFA for pandering to nostalgia started to become a semi-prevailing narrative in 2016, after the hype for the movie wore off. Nostalgic pandering was of course a thing in 2015, but we’ve gotten an onslaught of franchise revivals and nostalgia-driven reboots in the years since TFA.

I think since realising the value of IP/franchise (=brand) building in movies which had been a key thing in other industries for some time already, the cycles for remakes/reboots and sequels went to higher gear. I mean we've had those always. I wound out later that many of the movies I saw in the 90s & 00s were remakes of movies from 60s & 70s. Now the cycle is faster and we don't have so big generational leaps as before, and nostalgia is therefore more of a "thing" too.

The same is happening with TV too. Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica reboots and then with a longer grace period like the House of Cards from the original British version (better, btw) early 90s.

People also tend to spot nostalgia better when they get older...

8 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

Can’t believe this is likely going rotten. What happened to Jason’s career. Did he peak at Up In The Air.

Critics have singled this one out for a beat down. I don't think they will give it a fair shake. It will be judged by its box office and how audiences connect with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Menor said:

That's a good thing. I like to have more control. If I want random stuff then I can make that conscious decision. The glorification of scarcity is so strange. 

I don't think the point here was glorifying scarcity but pondering how it had good effects too. The times we were discussing had good and bad aspects. Having more control isn't either always good. People are different but often they also tend to seek the sameness and familiarity if they have all the choices and aren't forced by external factors to experience novelty. That's why people tend to always buy the same brand of ketchup or cream cheese from the store and not try new ones.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

Critics have singled this one out for a beat down. I don't think they will give it a fair shake. It will be judged by its box office and how audiences connect with it. 

Yeah, different reasons than with Eternals but similar pack behaviour on display. I'm not so worried about that here. If the movie is all around good (probably not spectacular but doesn't need to be) as the signs point it to be and looks like it's going to have a good OW, then the WOM gives it a good run, and critics can suck it. Though then they will try to please the crowds and soften, but who cares.

ron swanson spinning GIF

• Like 1

I like the original GHOSTBUSTERS but it isn't exactly an important movie to me and I don't watch it more than once every 5-6 years.

I thought AFTERLIFE was delightful and people complaining that it's overburdened with nostalgia are taking their own baggage in with them. My girlfriend barely even remembers the original film and she loved this.

• Like 4

I strongly suspect the “overburdened with nostalgia” stuff is coming mostly  from people who were on the pro-2016 side of that whole brouhaha — didn’t want Sony to “give in” to those who hated it by returning to normal with a new quick entry, and especially don’t want that new entry to be viewed as a vindicating repudiation of 2016.   

Personally, having never seen GB1, GB2, GB2016, or in all likelihood GB:A… I find the whole thing hilarious.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eternal Legion said:

I strongly suspect the “overburdened with nostalgia” stuff is coming mostly  from people who were on the pro-2016 side of that whole brouhaha — didn’t want Sony to “give in” to those who hated it by returning to normal with a new quick entry, and especially don’t want that new entry to be viewed as a vindicating repudiation of 2016.   

Personally, having never seen GB1, GB2, GB2016, or in all likelihood GB:A… I find the whole thing hilarious.

I haven't seen this one yet but have seen the other three - you're only missing out on GB1 which is still terrific - You will have saved the lives of millions of registered - classic.

2 hours ago, Eternal Legion said:

Maybe try watching the movies in question before "strongly suspecting" things.