filmlover

91st Academy Awards - Discussion thread - RACISM IS OVER, THANKS GREEN BOOK

Just now, Brainbug said:

Im literally okay with Black Panther winning everything it is nominated for - even Best Picture.

However.

It MUST NOT win Best visual effects. Please. It would be such a big, unfunny joke.

It's not nominated for Visual Effects.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Im literally okay with Black Panther winning everything it is nominated for - even Best Picture.

However.

It MUST NOT win Best visual effects. Please. It would be such a big, unfunny joke.

Rest easy. It's pretty unlikely it'll walk away with that award.

• Haha 4

BP winning could work wonders for the Oscar's relevancy, I'll say that. I honestly think this will be the most watched ceremony in years due to a) the Academy has generated a lot of buzz for months now with  their shitstorm of botched "shake ups" (any buzz is good for their awareness) and b) they have three legitimate blockbusters nominated for Best Picture for the first time in like a decade. So I think there will be some genuine increased interest in the show tonight. However, if something like The Favourite or Roma wins, the GA will roll their eyes and any potential regained interest will probably be lost going forward. 

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

As for me, my problem with the movie being nominated for Best Picture is that I genuinely don’t think it was good enough to earn it.

One could say the same for dozens if not hundreds of movies that have been nominated in the history of Oscars.

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m not trying to seem like a whiny manchild or whatever, but i don’t think the Best Picture nod should go to a movie just because it was universally acclaimed. 

... so what other movies *should* it go to? Sure, we all have our ideal Best Picture line-ups in our heads, but at the end of the day we aren't the Academy and you could do so much worse than nominating what's universally acclaimed.

The Black Panther discussion is absolutely hilarious.

The Dudebros who are arguing it have probably not seen any of the movies this year or even cared about the Oscars since the days of Tom hanks movies being nominated.

Edited by The Futurist

It's most likely coming down the Roma or Green Book but I have a weird inkling based on alot of the ballots that have come out ALL having the Favourite or Black Kkklansman (or both) in their top four that one of them feasibly could pull the upset - if pretty much everyone who doesn't have Roma number one leaves it off entirely (which, don't rule this out - that seems to be the thing), I could see Favourite or Kkklansman or even Panther pulling a stunner. Still think Roma though. The screenplays and tech awards are also way up in the air this year. Acting and directing pretty much locked up and boring though.

• Like 3

my PERSONAL choice in all the categories. what i'd vote for (aka 90% of these have no chance at winning)

Picture: The Favourite

Director: Yorgos Lanthimos

Actor: Bradley Cooper

Actress: Melissa McCarthy

Supp. Actor: Adam Driver

Supp. Actress: Emma Stone

O. Screenplay: The Favourite

A. Screenplay: If Beale Street Could Talk

Animated: Spider-Verse

Doc: Minding the Gap

Foreign: Shoplifters

Cinematography: A Star is Born

Costumes: Mary Poppins Returns

Production Design: Roma

Sound Mixing: Roma

Sound Editing: First Man

Make Up: Vice

Score: Black Panther

Song: Buster Scruggs

Editing: BlacKkKlansman

Visual Effects: Christopher Robin

• Like 3

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

It's most likely coming down the Roma or Green Book but I have a weird inkling based on alot of the ballots that have come out ALL having the Favourite or Black Kkklansman (or both) in their top four that one of them feasibly could pull the upset - if pretty much everyone who doesn't have Roma number one leaves it off entirely (which, don't rule this out - that seems to be the thing), I could see Favourite or Kkklansman or even Panther pulling a stunner. Still think Roma though. The screenplays and tech awards are also way up in the air this year. Acting and directing pretty much locked up and boring though.

I wish I could understand where your confidence for BlacKkKlansman is coming from when it's been losing all season long. Even the Screenplay win isn't a lock after losing at WGA (even though I think it'll still take home the Oscar).

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

However, if something like The Favourite or Roma wins, the GA will roll their eyes and any potential regained interest will probably be lost going forward. 

If someone's reaction to The Favourite or Roma winning is eyeroll rather than "ok, it's their choice" and/or "interesting, I should check that out" it's their problem. That would show a clearer snobbery from that person towards non-mainstream cinema than it would from the Academy towards blockbusters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Ah, yes...people in Western societies talking about tyranny. I love it.

I mean, I just thought "tyranny" was an expressive word to use for the description of Disney's hypothetical behavior. Maybe "not fair" would make for a better description. But I am aiming to be a Creative Writing major, after all.

What s best for Roma ?

Apple, Samsung, Sony or Huawei ?

I want QT to weigh in on this fucking fallacy, I really want him to.

Remember QT being appalled when Aronofski told him he was doing phone/tablet sound mixes of his films.

Edited by The Futurist

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

my PERSONAL choice in all the categories. what i'd vote for (aka 90% of these have no chance at winning)

Picture: The Favourite

Director: Yorgos Lanthimos

Actor: Bradley Cooper

Actress: Melissa McCarthy

Supp. Actor: Adam Driver

Supp. Actress: Emma Stone

O. Screenplay: The Favourite

A. Screenplay: If Beale Street Could Talk

Animated: Spider-Verse

Doc: Minding the Gap

Foreign: Shoplifters

Cinematography: A Star is Born

Costumes: Mary Poppins Returns

Production Design: Roma

Sound Mixing: Roma

Sound Editing: First Man

Make Up: Vice

Score: Black Panther

Song: Buster Scruggs

Editing: BlacKkKlansman

Visual Effects: Christopher Robin

Agree except I'd change most of the categories to Ad Astra.

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

I'm kind of irked Minding the Gap isn't the obvious frontrunner in documentary based simply on how good it is. It should be that category's Spider-Verse.

Hale County rules as well. a genuinely bold experimental film that it's rare to see the academy nominate that's just below minding the gap for me. i'm not mad at the idea of Free Solo winning it's pretty standard but it's cool. engaging in a similar way to Man on Wire. RBG winning would be awful though. it's def between those two.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I wish I could understand where your confidence for BlacKkKlansman is coming from when it's been losing all season long. Even the Screenplay win isn't a lock after losing at WGA (even though I think it'll still take home the Oscar).

For the record, I do not think it's going to win, I think it's the third or fourth most likely, and I'd say it's 90 percent chance of it going either Roma or Green Book. I just think Black Kkklansman checks the most boxes of anything, or at least has the least noticeable flaws - Spike Lee social issues movie that's also funny, arty but not too arty, accomplished in tech, writing, and acting ensemble AND from a beloved director, made solid money, got nominated for every major award this season, relevant subject matter with a hard-hitting ending. Who is putting this movie anything worse than fourth out of that lineup, really? It's the thing that appeals to most tastes, which matters in the preferential ballot. I'm not saying it matters enough for it to win, but it has a case to be in the discussion in a weird year.

Edited by Cmasterclay

14 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

One could say the same for dozens if not hundreds of movies that have been nominated in the history of Oscars.

... so what other movies *should* it go to? Sure, we all have our ideal Best Picture line-ups in our heads, but at the end of the day we aren't the Academy and you could do so much worse than nominating what's universally acclaimed.

Maybe Eight Grade or If Beale Street Could Talk or something? Hell, I’d rather Infinity War be nominated over BP.

Edited by WittyUsername