MrGlass2

The Wandering Earth | Feb 8 2019 (US) | Directed by Frant Gwo | China's first major science fiction movie

On 2/6/2019 at 9:18 AM, DeeCee said:

It's not getting many sessions at the theatres its showing at in Australia.  Only 1 per day at Event George St.  This is a theatre basically in Chinatown which at the same time has 2 sessions per day of another Chinese film and 2 sessions per day of a Korean movie.

This has changed.  George St now has 4 sessions per day with large format (VMAX) screening tomorrow that is already 50% sold out.

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

The Shay has always dreamed of China (+ rest of E. and S.E. Asia) replacing the US in the cinema world.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll live to see that. Everything coming from China, including this, looks just awful.

The only exceptions were Zhang Yimou's movies 15 years ago (+ maybe Ang Lee). So sad... :(

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

BOM doesn't include this movie for some reason, and Deadline has unfortunately stopped reporting its daily numbers in NA.

In other news... this is now #1 worldwide for 2019. :redcapes:

I hate that BOM only adds movies that get a release in dom. It screws up a lot their ww data and more reasons

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

I hate that BOM only adds movies that get a release in dom. It screws up a lot their ww data and more reasons

But in this case it is getting a release in NA.

Wandering Earth is also dominating China play for IMAX. The total in the format through Thursday is RMB 85M ($12.6M). In North America, the movie’s IMAX-exclusive run was $230K on its second day, landing at No. 10 on the domestic chart from just 33 cinemas. It moves into 2D play in North America on Friday.

BOM just isn't including those numbers, maybe because of the distributor.

32 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

they have all films listed on country's weekend data on the International section.

for example:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/china/?yr=2019&wk=5&p=.htm

Wandering Earth will be listed next week when the China weekend numbers come in.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Yeah, I was annoyed that last years Chinese films like Dying to Survive and Hello Mr. Billionaire weren't included because they didn't get a domestic release, so the worldwide chart on BOM is really not the full picture.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

But in this case it is getting a release in NA.

BOM just isn't including those numbers, maybe because of the distributor.

I am aware. It was a general frustration thing. Plus some feeling like they are not doing all possible to get as much as actual numbers as possible in such cases (without and very small)

As The-Numbers.com, that actually tries to add those I think, also didn't list let me guess the distributor is not reporting its daily for some reasons.

But at least they have an entry for it (China # for 04 Feb only sadly), as in it appears also with the Wandering earth in their search engine

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Liu-Lang-Di-Qiu-(China)-(2019)#tab=international

Edited by terrestrial

12 minutes ago, Avatree said:

they have all films listed on country's weekend data on the International section.

for example:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/china/?yr=2019&wk=5&p=.htm

Wandering Earth will be listed next week when the China weekend numbers come in.

but they do usually not show them per ww and at least recently, also not showing the title per search box. So the average user will have thei 'fun' finding it when not knowing that

Both writing versions do not even appear yet.

On 2/8/2019 at 1:10 AM, MovieGuyKyle17 said:

Yeah I was looking at the showtimes at the nearest Imax and noticed they were playing this in the Imax theater. I was shocked to see it since I never heard about it. The plot is ridiculous 

The plot is awesomely ridiculous though. Honestly I like balls to the wall Sci-fi it's called Sci-Fi for a reason lol. This isn't supposed to be an episode of Cosmos.

Edited by Mr Impossible
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

but they do usually not show them per ww and at least recently, also not showing the title per search box. So the average user will have thei 'fun' finding it when not knowing that

Both writing versions do not even appear yet.

yeah you're right they don't show them in regular way. BOM is great for domestic BO but international its hit and miss. The annoying thing about what you're talking about is that its not even that they dont have the ability / data, its literally just the way they log certain things. could very easily be fixed.

• Like 1

wow...

39 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

25 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

20 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

:ohmygod: :ohmygod: :ohmygod:

edit: Gitesh worded it strange, maybe meant the sum of IMAX and the given 6-days number

Edited by terrestrial
  • Astonished 2

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/box-office-lego-movie-2-wins-soft-35m-liam-neeson-iced-1184693

At the specialty box office, the Chinese sci-fi epic The Wandering Earth impressed with an estimated $1.6 million from 65 theaters in 39 markets. Timed to Chinese New Year celebrations, the movie posted a location average of nearly $25,000, the best of the weekend.

• Thanks 2