sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimate | LEGO MOVIE 2 $8.5M | WHAT MEN WANT $6.6M | COLD PURSUIT $ 3.64M | THE PRODIGY $2.02M

5 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

You're deliberately aggravating people dude. The more you act smug, the more you're goading people in to shitting on Alita. You know that right? 

That's on them. I'm allowed to be smug.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Godzilla should be fine if the late marketing delivers. Luckily the movie already looks really massive in scale (and not like an afterthought like Lego 2 did).

The scale is indeed huge. Could be the biggest scale out of any movie of all time @DMan7

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

With Lego's muted opening it further adds to Alita's OW.

That makes no sense. Both movies have a different target audience (especially because Alita is going to be violent meaning it isn't a family-friendly fare like Aquaman was). If anything, it further adds to HTTYD 3's OW.

Edited by lorddemaxus

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Godzilla 2 is going to do Skull Island numbers IMO

It will open to Godzilla numbers and have Skull Island legs. It's the textbook definition of a crowd pleasing movie. I will be surprised if it does not do 3x legs at minimum

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Food for though.

Box Office pro's Alita OW been rising every week (however small) and the presales been out pacing 30m+ OW films. With Lego's muted opening it further adds to Alita's OW.

Unfortunately, Lego 2's presales indicated a $50M+ opening, almost up through Thursday (which just a little warning last minute)...we may be overestimating the walk up vs prebuy, now that a certain subscription plan that made walk ups so nice and easy no longer exists...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Just now, grim22 said:

It will open to Godzilla numbers and have Skull Island legs. It's the textbook definition of a crowd pleasing movie. I will be surprised if it does not do 3x legs at minimum

Every time you post about Godzilla you make my day. Thank you.

Still wrapping my head around the thought of The Lego Movie 2, the sequel to a 260M DOM hit, falling 50% on OW from the 1st one and potentially struggling to cross 100M DOM. Madness. It will likely do it simply because next week is the President's Day 4-day frame and that will give it a boost, but otherwise, being a sequel and with HTTYD3 coming up..... I wouldn't even lock 100 down.

And that's entirely on WB and their mishandling of this franchise. Not on anyone else.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

Every time you post about Godzilla you make my day. Thank you.

I hated Godzilla 2014, this movie delivers everything that one promised but didn't. This will definitely make the haters of that movie come onboard in a big way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2
  • Knock It Off 1

Last year's crop of early year releases definitely looked much more appealing than this year's. Luckily things look to turn around starting when Captain Marvel comes out and shouldn't have much in the way of downtime between then and late August.

Edited by filmlover

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

That makes no sense. Both movies have a different target audience (especially because Alita is going to be violent meaning it isn't a family-friendly fare like Aquaman was). If anything, it further adds to HTTYD 3's OW.

Lego's audience isn't just kids. What I said does indeed make sense, never claimed everyone who wont see lego will go see Alita.

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

Still wrapping my head around the thought of The Lego Movie 2, the sequel to a 260M DOM hit, falling 50% on OW from the 1st one and potentially struggling to cross 100M DOM. Madness. It will likely do it simply because next week is the President's Day 4-day combo and that will give it a boost, but otherwise, being a sequel and with HTTYD3 coming up..... I wouldn't even lock 100 down.

And that's entirely on WB and their mishandling of this franchise. Not on anyone else.

I still cant fathom why they open the sequel 5 years later, reagardless of spin-offs, for an animated franchise, that is just idiotic imo. A 10 year old who loved the first film in cinemas is now 15, a moody teen who has no intention of spending his/hers money wisely and who is probably just watching Keeping up with the f*** Kardashians 24 hours a day. Of course a big part of the first films' audience wont come back.

• Like 3

Just now, Brainbug said:

I still cant fathom why they open the sequel 5 years later, reagardless of spin-offs, for an animated franchise, that is just idiotic imo. A 10 year old who loved the first film in cinemas is now 15, a moody teen who has no intention of spending his/hers money wisely and who is probably just watching Keeping up with the f*** Kardashians 24 hours a day. Of course a big part of the first films' audience wont come back.

I feel like it could have worked if the marketing was right and we didn't have those other films in the middle. It worked for beloved films like Finding Nemo and Incredibles 2. Even Ralph 2 managed to make more than its predecessor and no one liked anywhere as much as The Lego Movie. The problem is that Ninjago released and was trash and WB fucked up the marketing for the film (like they did for their other animated films).

• Like 1