MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

11 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I think I can now call it that this isn't getting a press screening here.

Thats always a good sign. It must mean the studio is so confident in this movies quality, that they dont even need the opinions of critics to measure it.

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

20 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Thats always a good sign. It must mean the studio is so confident in this movies quality, that they dont even need the opinions of critics to measure it.

The latest ones not to get a press screening here were Meg 2 and Five Nights. The confidence is off the charts.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Did you really just paint a cinematic universe that is constantly changing, adapting and lately being demolished as some sort of dream studio where James Wan did exactly the movie he wanted with full freedom?

The same studio that we know made him shoot Batman cameos and other DCU stuff because they didn´t know what to do with this and Flash?

The same studio that made him pass through +7 test screenings where he apparently had to keep getting notes and reshoot big portions of it? 

The same studio that was basically destroyed while he was making the movie so he had to present the project all over again to James Gunn, Zaslav and others to get another notes?

The movie being good or bad when it comes to creative freedom discussion is irrelevant, but one thing is for sure: every director with freedom have final cut and doesn´t even have to test screens, Aquaman 2 is everything but a movie where the director made whatever he wanted. Grow up. 

Shit, no wonder he ended up at the hospital at the end of it.

• Haha 5

I honestly wouldn't blame Wan at all if this is his Hobbit moment and drives him away from filmmaking for good. Peter Jackson's basically retired now aside from the occasional documentary movie where he doesn't have to film any new footage. If that Blumhouse+Atomic Monster merger comes to fruition then Wan will be similarly set for life. But I do hope he still keeps making movies even after Aquaman 2 flops.

17 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I honestly wouldn't blame Wan at all if this is his Hobbit moment and drives him away from filmmaking for good. Peter Jackson's basically retired now aside from the occasional documentary movie where he doesn't have to film any new footage. If that Blumhouse+Atomic Monster merger comes to fruition then Wan will be similarly set for life. But I do hope he still keeps making movies even after Aquaman 2 flops.

This post seems incredibly myopic, sorry. I feel like the users on this site only ever speak in extremes and it’s so bizarre. I don’t think one bomb is gonna make a director with 2 different billion dollar hits leave film-making, but that’s just me.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Directors have highs and lows. Yes, a movie can be bad because of its director. Studios also have their part regarding how bad movies can be, but it's beyond impossible exonerating a director and putting the blame on studios. 

I mean, just look at Martin Brest. Guy went from Beverly Hillls Cop / Midnight Run / Scent of a Woman to freaking Gigli ( 2003 ) and then vanished! Why is Gigli so freaking bad? Is it because of evil studios that only want money or is the director part of the failure? Just come on, people.

Wan is a great director, but if Aquaman 2 is a bad movie, he definitely has a part in it. 

Edited by Blaze Heatnix
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Speedorito said:

I hope isn’t sent to director jail like Patty Jenkins over this movie.

Two different cases.  Wan had the weight of a changing DCU and multiple-changing Warner Executive regime on his back during shooting and in post.  Jenkins seemingly had all the freedom in the world to make a great sequel...and bungled it...*then* had the pandemic and was pushed to streaming.  And *then* she got caught up in regime change.  But if her movie had been a huge hit, no doubt they would have continued with her and Gal for at least one more movie.  Aqua 2 already seems as dead as a dead fish can get, though...something we didn't necessarily know about WW 1984 until the public saw it.  Wan will be fine, he has a very, very successful career in another genre.  Jenkins unfortunately does not have that sustained rep. 

3 hours ago, Welcbr12 said:

Pre-sales only above Wakanda Forever And Shazam 2 It's rough man... 

So since my $40M China prediction was an overestimate, I'm updating my total prediction to $20M/$85M/$230M

In hindsight Blue Beetle making $72.5M domestic is actually kind of impressive. 

Edited by HummingLemon496